<  New users start here  ~  My Own First Impressions

Page 1 of 7
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Beancounter
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 02 Apr 2005 Posts: 163
As posted on Digital Spy : )

Just taken delivery of my Toppy this morning -

Re the disk noise, I don't find it TOO bad although my wife is saying its really annoying! I do have it on the floor just now (on laminate) so there is also a distinct hum too although not as bad as the Fusion.

Early days yet but I can find 3 things thus far that I am not too keen on, firstly not being able to leave the box in standby if recording , I recall the Pace Twin had a similar flaw to begin with so hopefully a future upgrade will fix that(?) Second immediate annoyance is the fact that scheduled recordings are only listed against channel name, time etc. I much prefer seeing the show name on screen. Final one for now is the 6 x F/F .....so slow!!!

Off out now, leaving the Toppy to reocrd all afternoon. Alarming comments coming from the missus "suggesting " that the Inverto seems a better machine for our needs!

Last edited by Beancounter on Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
sneeks
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 20 Apr 2005 Posts: 62
Oh no Sad It sounds like your wife is as fussy regarding disk noise as me. The slow viewable fast forward really is annoying.
Stormin
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Apr 2005 Posts: 155 Location: Newbury
Yep the FF is disappointingly slow, but being able to press what percentage you want to jump to, makes up for it (although minutes would be easier....).
sneeks
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Yeah Stormin i found that to be a great feature but it does cause some guesswork when trying to accurately guage 3 min ad breaks, as does pressing and holding the ff button Very Happy
s7uar7
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 196 Location: Chalfont St Giles
I'm the world's worst when it comes to any unwanted sounds - hiss, clicks etc - and I was very close to sending the Toppy back when I first got it, but now I hardly notice it. Whether I've just got used to it, or if the disk has 'bedded down', I'm not sure.
Beancounter
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Just returned from a shopping trip. Everything that I set to record this afternoon has recorded fine. Good to know about the f/f trick of entering % or holding down the button....that's a big plus point. When I first set up the Toppy, 1 mux was unwatchable, now 75% signal and perfect quality, strange! My main gripe so far remains the fact that scheduled recordings only have the channel name ,date and time, I would have thought that the show name would have been essential, any TAPs available to get round this?

Re the noise, I think I will be able to judge better when we sit down to watch telly tonight, must admit though, this seems to be a great piece of kit Smile
sneeks
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:08 pm Reply with quote
If you select the scheduled recording from the list then it'll tell you exactly what it is you have scheduled. Bit of a silly way of having to do things but it is a workaround of sorts.
Beancounter
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:11 pm Reply with quote
sneeks wrote:
If you select the scheduled recording from the list then it'll tell you exactly what it is you have scheduled. Bit of a silly way of having to do things but it is a workaround of sorts.

Thanks, I did notice that. I guess I am being fussy but every other PVR I have used has stored the programme name in the scheduled recording section, just a little dissapointing that a machine costing 300 can't Sad
matt
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
It can with a TAP

matt
tommyboyuk
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 21 Apr 2005 Posts: 134 Location: London; Crystal Palace TM
If you install the Progress Bar TAP you can fast forward a lot quicker than 6x (although a bit too quick for me!).

With this TAP you can also view scheduled Timers (inc programme names) in the order they are to record. Note: this feature is set against the subtitile button that we don't have, hoever you can reassign this to another button.

Cheers

TB
Beancounter
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:38 pm Reply with quote
tommyboyuk wrote:
If you install the Progress Bar TAP you can fast forward a lot quicker than 6x (although a bit too quick for me!).

With this TAP you can also view scheduled Timers (inc programme names) in the order they are to record. Note: this feature is set against the subtitile button that we don't have, hoever you can reassign this to another button.

Cheers

TB

Thanks for that,very good to know. I use a Harmony 688 remote control anyway so was planning to configure that for the Toppy once I have mastered the basics. Smile
sneeks
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:46 pm Reply with quote
That's the great benefit of having tap's, you can find unofficial fixes for minor issues that will really make using the Toppy so much more fun. It's definately something I will miss.
nwhitfield
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
Timer extend also has a function where it adds the programme name into the list of recordings. And there's a version that's compatible with the UK model included in the Program Manager package.

You can grab the latest version of that from

http://www.toppy.org.uk/downloads/info.php?tid=139

Nigel.
Beancounter
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Nigel, I have downloaded that ready for use but would probably prefer to get more accustomed to the Toppy before getting into TAPs.

One (perhaps) silly question about loading Taps, do I need the Toppy to be connected to the telly when installing them or do I get all the info i need on the pc screen? Reason I ask is that like many folk pc and tv are 30 feet apart Smile
nwhitfield
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
All you need to do is have the Toppy turned on; you'll see the file list appear on the PC screen. Typically, click the ".." entry at the top to move up a level, and then double click on the Program Files folder to move into there, which is where you need to put TAPs.

Nigel.