Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Goodbye Sky+

Page 1 of 1
paulbds
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 24 Apr 2005 Posts: 36 Location: Colwyn Bay/Wexford
Musings of a newbie
I have looked long and hard for a replacment for my Sky + system. Despite forking out £35 per month we only watch terrestial stuff. I need something fairly straightforward for the wife and after following discussuion s on this BB I feel that now is the time to take the plunge and purchase a Toppy. It should pay itself back in 9 months ( £35 x 9 = £315) and I like the ability to add TUTV at a later date. I have ordered my Freesat card from Sky and I will set up my Sky + box at my holiday location. I know I lose the ability to record etc but it seems a good option. Or, should I sell my Sky + box and just get a "bog standard" sky box?
I have had an array of Tv gadgets including Tivo - -that cost me a tenner a month - -but I do object to on costs. (Yes I have heard the argument about mobile phones and contracts but don't forget we pay a TV licence every year to watch this stuff)
I figured out that if I want to watch a film then I simply join one of the libraries that let you rent DVD's for about a tenner a month. Cheaper than Sky and at least the films are up to date.
Anyway, I went to Argos looking for a Toppy today and as expected they do not yet have them in stock but apparently they are expnading their range of PVR's in the new catalogue issued in July. I am just debating what to do as Argos have extended warranties availble on most stuff for very reasonable prices - -about £44 for an £199 dvd recorder. I guess temptation will force me to oder it this week tho!
matt
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:40 am Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
Come in in, the water's lovely! Wink

matt
kaytie
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Having been a Sky+ user I can tell you that you'll be weeping when you switch. Yeah, Freeview + Toppy is cheaper. But then how much are you going to spend on re-glazing your windows (after you've thrown the box through them after the frustration of using a user interface designed by people who don't speak English).

K.
matt
Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:14 am Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
I'd rather learn to live with the user interface (not that bad IMHO) than spend £35 per month on a subscription.

Call me strange.
nwhitfield
Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:06 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
Well, different people do find some things work better for them than others. I find the Toppy pretty intuitive on the whole, with a few niggles.

Mind you, I'm a CitroŽn driver, and I find cars that decide when they want to turn off your turn indicators really annoying. Doubtless some people feel exactly the same about the non-cancelling ones old the older large Cits. But there's a clear - and sensible - design philosophy to them, which is a perfectly valid one, whether you agree with it or not.

Nigel.
sneeks
Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:29 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 20 Apr 2005 Posts: 62
I worked at Sky and had a huge involvement in SKy+ at release and for some months beforehand. Trust me when i say that it also had several bugs and lots of complaints when it was first released. Nowhere near as many as the standard Sky digibox had and continues to have though Laughing
paulbds
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:04 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 24 Apr 2005 Posts: 36 Location: Colwyn Bay/Wexford
And now that I understand E4 will be free on Freeview in the near future?...will place order tomorrow (too late, I mean today, night night) Rolling Eyes