Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Using Favorites (& 1st impressions)

Page 1 of 1
RobbieC
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:06 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 24 Apr 2005 Posts: 111 Location: Maidstone, Kent
Got my Toppy on Friday and I'm impressed. Very Happy Easy to use although some of the menus aren't exactly intuitive (recording methods could be simpler - I'd like to record the current prog from the EPG).

Originally there was no noise although now its started to hum (but no clicking which seems to affected some users). I'll see if it settles down in the next few days.

I do have one question though. I've set up a favorites list as per the manual but how do you use it?
nudel
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:13 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 02 Apr 2005 Posts: 38 Location: London, England
I think you press the Opt button for a list of favourites lists and after you've selected one the unit then restricts the channels it skips through to that list.
nwhitfield
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:17 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
Welcome to the forums, Robbie. I'm glad you're impressed with the Toppy so far.

You can find a description of how to use your favourites, as well as the answers to some other common questions, in the 'Day to day use' section of the site FAQs - just click on the link below to go there.

http://www.toppy.org.uk/faq.php?category=5

Nigel.
Richard46
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:28 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 1586 Location: Forest Gate East London
RobbieC wrote:
Got my Toppy on Friday and I'm impressed. Very Happy Easy to use although some of the menus aren't exactly intuitive (recording methods could be simpler - I'd like to record the current prog from the EPG).

Originally there was no noise although now its started to hum (but no clicking which seems to affected some users). I'll see if it settles down in the next few days.

I do have one question though. I've set up a favorites list as per the manual but how do you use it?

As Nudel says go to options select fav list press OK; scroll down to the List you have made press OK; cursor jumps to 1st channel in your Fav list; press OK again. It could have been simpler (switching between lists with left/right buttons for instance; one button press against 5 or 6) but not a problem if you do not have to do it often.
Unfortunately if you listen to radio you have to do this everytime you come back to TV as the Toppy reverts to 'all list'. I believe this is being sorted out in first update; I hope so.
Actually I dont use the TV/Radio button to get back to TV from Radio; I go back by reselecting my TV fav list as I will have to do this again anyway.
Interested to hear you have no audible ticking at all. Whatever you do don't try listening for it or you may hear it. Smile
However like you very impressed with the Toppy; 10 out of 10 for the hardware and reliability; if the interface improves over time (as there is every prospect of) it will be great.
Richard
kieronishere
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:46 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 23 Apr 2005 Posts: 41
is it normal for the front panel to display MENU after you've selected a favourite list. It even stays saying this if I start playing back a recording which did say PLAY before I'd set up my favourites
tommyboyuk
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 21 Apr 2005 Posts: 134 Location: London; Crystal Palace TM
[quote="RobbieC"]I'd like to record the current prog from the EPG).

This feature is available if you use the JAG epg TAP.

I've only had my box since Friday and installed quite a few TAPs.

The JAG epg is my favourite and you can also set a Timer for it to look for words and then automatically record when it finds those words (similar to wishlist on a TiVo!).

Cheers

TB
RobbieC
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 24 Apr 2005 Posts: 111 Location: Maidstone, Kent
Something weird but good Wink - when I got the box I tried the rewind facility (live & recorded) and it worked as expected. When I used it today scenes appeared on the screen as I rewound! I must be losing it - I don't remember seeing those before!