Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  MyStuff v2.2b8 - my comments (brief!)

Page 1 of 1
stuey
Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Mar 2005 Posts: 203 Location: East London/Essex border
Installed MyStuff last night. Like how it works, the "viewed +12m" part of the archive is great and the info boxes are quite neat - however, a few "negative" comments:

1) I would like to see it working without JAGs EPG. i.e. it should display the now/next info by using standard EPG functionality, where available. For example, if I've only tuned to the BBC mux, show BBC1 and 2 now/next, but for ITV display "no info". Shouldn't be too hard.

2) slow to load the archive/"personal planner" - at least a second, if not two, when you hit the Archive button.

3) the progress bar displays when you start a program from the archive/personal planner (think this has been mentioned in the main thread)

4) longer titles get chopped - concatenate the day, date, and time and/or display the remaining part of the title in the info part below, thus:

<title> (<channel>)
<description...>

On the whole though, very good work - keep it up!

Stu
BobD
Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:38 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 03 Aug 2005 Posts: 4218
Hi Stu.

stuey wrote:
Installed MyStuff last night. Like how it works, the "viewed +12m" part of the archive is great and the info boxes are quite neat - however, a few "negative" comments:

Hey, all comments are positive (well, depending on my mood!)

Quote:

1) I would like to see it working without JAGs EPG. i.e. it should display the now/next info by using standard EPG functionality, where available. For example, if I've only tuned to the BBC mux, show BBC1 and 2 now/next, but for ITV display "no info". Shouldn't be too hard.

No, its very easy, but (IMO) fairly useless! One of the main features of MyStuff is the Now&Next box (and in the next version, a grid EPG), which just wouldn't work as well if it had these gaps. Since Jags is free and very good, it doesnt seem worth making MyStuff work without it. However, v 3.0 will also be able to use a MyStuff Extended Info file (see other thread of that name), which is a file you will have to place on your Toppy by hand, but that will include more information that available on the Toppy

Quote:

2) slow to load the archive/"personal planner" - at least a second, if not two, when you hit the Archive button.

Yeah, it scans the disk to see if there are any more recordings. I may be able to speed this up a little, when other things settle down.

Quote:

3) the progress bar displays when you start a program from the archive/personal planner (think this has been mentioned in the main thread)

Only for some people, which is odd. Hoping to fix soon (thanks simonc!)

Quote:

4) longer titles get chopped - concatenate the day, date, and time and/or display the remaining part of the title in the info part below, thus:

<title> (<channel>)
<description...>

Next version will be able to display more info (on an additional i press), and even, even more if MyStuff Extended Info is installed.

Quote:
On the whole though, very good work - keep it up!

Cheers!

MyStuff skins, manual and latest version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk
Known bugs & forthcoming fixes: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/Bugs.shtml
Changes coming in the next version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/NextVersion.shtml
stuey
Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Mar 2005 Posts: 203 Location: East London/Essex border
Quote:

Quote:

No, its very easy, but (IMO) fairly useless! One of the main features of MyStuff is the Now&Next box (and in the next version, a grid EPG), which just wouldn't work as well if it had these gaps. Since Jags is free and very good, it doesnt seem worth making MyStuff work without it. However, v 3.0 will also be able to use a MyStuff Extended Info file (see other thread of that name), which is a file you will have to place on your Toppy by hand, but that will include more information that available on the Toppy

ok, perhaps a) I didn't explain too well and b) it might not be possible - but:

I don't use Jags for various reasons, but I'd still like to use your TAP cos I like it. Plus, it should default to the "host" display in the absence of Jags.

Getting complex, but you could use a spare tuner to change muxes in the background and use all "standard" info. I'd prefer to see that, but hey! This could also tie in with the bug/feature request about background EPG capture...

Quote:
[re Progress bar appearing on playback] Only for some people, which is odd. Hoping to fix soon (thanks simonc!)

Thankfully on mine it's only for a brief moment so it's not too much of a problem - I only raised it cos Sky+ don't do it Wink

S
jimbo
Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:50 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 19 Sep 2005 Posts: 82 Location: North Yorkshire, Bilsdale Transmitter.
Stuey, Take Bobs advice and start using JAGS. I got my toppy when they 1st came out and used a couple of taps but jags looked too complex. I asked Bob the same question as you and he gave the same answer, try jags, i did, learnt how to use and its great. Its no perfect but hopefully Bobs epg will sort out its limitations.