Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Site news and feedback  ~  New Post indication

Page 1 of 1
Sulli
Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:54 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Mar 2005 Posts: 250 Location: Manchester
When I first login to the forum I usually see the ?New Post? indication showing on many of the topic areas. After reading one of the new posts the forum software sets all of the other unread posts to read. Am I the only one having this problem, or am I going crazy and seeing things?
DB1
Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:31 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 728 Location: Orpington
It does seem to have a mind of its own. I have also seen it do the opposite - I have read all the posts and the * is still there. I have an idea it may be related to server load but for the life of me can't figure out how that could effect it. I saw it a lot before Nigel tweaked the settings.
matt
Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:28 am Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
The new post last as long as your browser session, as soon as you close your window they disappear. I use tabbed browsing to prevent this, alternatively (and more hassle) log out before you close the browser.

matt
DB1
Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Only true if you use "back" if you always use the links at the bottom of the pages the * goes when the page reloads - At least it does here on Mozilla.
matt
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:59 am Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
Seriously, this works fine for me in Firefox and IE. Are you sure you're not closing the browser windows?

matt
DB1
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:50 am Reply with quote
No, not closing anything. I go to forum index. Click on one with a * Then using the left hand widget open a thread at the last unread. When I have read them, red icon, I I click the forum link at the foot of the page. Forum re-loads and the * for the post I just read has gone. When I have read all the threads in a like manner I then click on the forum index link at the foot of the page and get the index page reloaded and the * have gone. At some point in the future I click reload and * re-appear on new stuff. I would assume that this is how it is supposed to work.
nwhitfield
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:53 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
That's very peculiar; I read a forum, go back to the index, and I can still see which other forums have unread posts. Not problem at all, using Safari on OS X 10.3.9

I'll try to see if I can reproduce this on one of the other computers, but I have to warn you that it's not anywhere near the top of the to do list right now; there are things I want to get up and running while the Topfield engineers are still in the UK.

Nigel.
DB1
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:55 am Reply with quote
nwhitfield wrote:
That's very peculiar; I read a forum, go back to the index, and I can still see which other forums have unread posts. Not problem at all, using Safari on OS X 10.3.9
Nigel.

Absolutely the other fora/posts still have their *s - I can't see what anyone thinks is broken.
DB1
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I think I see what Suli was getting at. If you goto the index, select a forum with unread posts and from that page jump back to the index and re-enter the forum then the * vanish.

In other words there is a route through the pages that will mark things as read when you haven't.
nwhitfield
Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
It's not marking things as read. That's a little misleading. It's showing whether or not there are new posts since the last time you visited that section of the forum.

It's a small semantic point, but important to understanding what's happening (let alone trying to fix it).

Nigel.