Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Remote control style

Page 1 of 1
mikesom
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I have been trying to use some of the informations in Darkmatter's info document. Am I unusual in having a completely different centre area on my remote. I have four arrows surrounding the OK key. "V+" & "V-" keys at 7 & 8 o'clock positions plus "P-" & "p+" at 4 & 5 o'clock positions. "List " & "Exit" at 1 & 2 o'clock positions. Many of the functions such as bookmarks are not as per the document (I still haven't found them yet). The option of tuners in the recording window does not exist (item 11 "Timers" in the document) Help!!
mikesom
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I have just had a look at the photos of the remote under the photos section, mine is the same as the one pictured, so what version does Darkmatter have which features in his otherwise excellent document
nwhitfield
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
That document was written before the Toppy was available in the UK, and was necessarily based on available information at photos at the time. It turned out that there were more differences than we anticipated, hence the comment on the entry in the documents library:

Quote:
This is a DRAFT document, currently being revised to include the UK version of the remote control

I know Darkmatter has been very busy working to make TAPs behave on the UK models, and I've been wrapped up with the web site and a major new client for work, so there's not been the opportunity to revise documents or create new ones just yet.

Nigel.
mikesom
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I have been keen to insert a bookmark when I pause viewing but neither yellow or green buttons seem to do the trick. Also is there the option of "Tuner 4" to use any spare tuner. I have read of this on the Aussie forum but did not know if a TAP was required to achieve this. Many thanks for this forum which is invaluable for novices to PVR's like me. I have even been viewing it from Florida whilst on holiday.
nwhitfield
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
Bookmarks are one of the things that we don't have at the moment, but Topfield have said that they will look at reintroducing them in a software update.

The Tuner 1/2/4 business is all hidden from us, so you don't need to worry about which one to use. It'll just work out the best arrangement.

With regard to TAPs, there are some issues with those, due to the different remote. At the moment, if you want to experiment, your best bet is to use the ones in the Program Manager package, which Darkmatter has written and compiled specifically for the UK model.

You can find the details of that at http://www.toppy.org.uk/downloads/info.php?tid=139

Nigel.
mikesom
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I will have to note on the progress bar how far I have gotten to return to that point. A disappointment after my Sony HX900. Glad to see I do not need to worry about tuners. TAPs will have to wait till I have mastered the Toppy. By that time there will hopefully be some UK specific TAP's written by some of the keen and knowledgeable on this forum.
Darkmatter
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
There?s a thread on the Quick Start Guide. It?s become a little lost, as it hasn?t had any new posts in a while.

http://www.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46

As Nigel commented ? it?s based on the TF5000, and that?s the remote you see on page 5. The link above should tell you about the differences (the lack of bookmarks is the major one).

I?ve added a link to that thread on the guide's download page [Nigel, I don?t know if you can convert it in to a hyperlink]

I?m torn between updating the guide now, or waiting until the new firmware release. To be honest, I?m letting things calm down before the next Toppy project; to get Program Manager up and running was a test of endurance.