Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAPs  ~  Channel Remover

Page 2 of 12
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
chunkywizard
Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:01 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
I guess the reason it removed ITV4 was because current it is flagged with $. I never removed the pay TV channels (to get around this) I just added them all to my remove text file,

Hope this helps,

Chunkywizard

EMJB
Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:36 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3645 Location: Maldon Essex
I take it that this TAP does not provide a means of removing duplicate channels, which seems to be one of the biggest moans. How about an additional facility to delete all entries with a specified UHF channel no?

BTW, I am adding this to the TAP database. At the moment most of the descriptive material is a straight copy from the first post, but will tidy it up later.
nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:28 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
The Toppy flags a channel as pay if a) there's nothing being broadcast at all, like the mysterious channel 8, ITV4 or More4 before it started showing a video stream or b) if encryption is active when you scan or try to view a channel.

So typically, when you scan, the pay channels that are presently broadcasting will be correctly marked. But those that are only on at certain times and show an MHEG screen when off air will not be marked, since the box has no way of knowing that they will be encrypted.

If you visit the channel when it's broadcasting, it will then be correctly flagged, and the $ persists even when the channel is off air - it effectively means not 'channel is encrypted' but 'channel is encrypted at least some of the time.'

Nigel.

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 358 Location: Vienna/Austria
EMJB wrote:
I take it that this TAP does not provide a means of removing duplicate channels, which seems to be one of the biggest moans. How about an additional facility to delete all entries with a specified UHF channel no?

Everything is possible - it is just a matter of time. Wink

Your UHF channel idea is easy to implement but the automatic method mentioned by Mark is more elegant. I have to do some practical test before I'll make a decision.

@all: if someone has a scan with a duplicate channel, I would be happy if he could provide a dump.

The $ sign is the only way for the TAP to recognize a scrambled channel. So it seems that this isn't a very reliable way to get rid of these channels.

Regards, Alex
EMJB
Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:51 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3645 Location: Maldon Essex
FireBird wrote:
EMJB wrote:

Everything is possible - it is just a matter of time. Wink

Your UHF channel idea is easy to implement but the automatic method mentioned by Mark is more elegant. I have to do some practical test before I'll make a decision.

If you go by signal quality, I think you will need to use signal strength as well. We get 2 copies of Mux 2 from Sudbury with appreciably different strengths, but both have the same quality until the atmospherics are wrong.

In addition, I suppose there may be people near regional borders who may wish to use the weaker signal so they get the right regional programmes.
FireBird
Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Hi,

version 0.4 is online. There are two main changes: the ability to remove all channels with a specific UHF channel number and the format of the txt-file has been modified. Every line has to start with a keyword (e.g. LCN=50). The following keywords are defined:

?LCN=? removes all channels with a specific logical channel number
?UHF=? removes all channels with a specific UHF channel number
?Name=? removes all channels with a specific name. Wildcards are not supported.
?CAS=? bypasses the first dialog box. Only ?YES? and ?NO? are allowed as parameter.

See the included sample file. The TAP should now also support a UNIX style text file. Because of the above changes, the old file name doesn?t make sense any more. Please rename it to ?ChannelRemover.txt?.

Regards, Alex
chunkywizard
Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:56 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Hi Alex,

this looks great, now all my need is a new Firmware release to test it on Wink

If I get a mo, I might rescan for the hell of it to give it a test out

Thanks again

Chunkywizard

jumbo
Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
As this is a very useful TAP I wonder if it is possible to remove the PC dependence of it as well as enhance its user interface by having a display of all channels with a box that can be ticked/unticked via the remote control with an export option to keep the record for future in order to reduce more key-presses. Just a thought Razz
FireBird
Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Programming a full featured GUI is to time consuming for me at the moment. Do the channels change that often? I thought that the txt file will be static after you've set it up once.
NickW
Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Aug 2005 Posts: 388
Thanks Firebird, fantastic TAP.

Regards,

Nick.
NickW
Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Hi again,

Can you make it remove radio channels as well please?

Regards,

Nick.
captain747480
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:18 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jun 2005 Posts: 499 Location: London Transmitter: Crystal Palace
chunkywizard wrote:
Hi Alex,

this looks great, now all my need is a new Firmware release to test it on Wink

If I get a mo, I might rescan for the hell of it to give it a test out

Thanks again

Chunkywizard

In an idle moment yesterday afternoon I did a Rescan.

Running ChannelRemover got rid of all the LCN's I'd specified in the ChannelRemover.txt file.

Great TAP.

gna03633
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:28 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 26 Jul 2005 Posts: 32
Great Tap.

Being able to delete Radio Stations would be good.

cheers
gna
FireBird
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Hi,

@Captain: thanks for testing.

@Nick & GNA: the radio stations part is already partly implemented. I just would like to wait a little bit and if there are no bug reports, I?ll make it a V1.0 including readme and source.

Regards, Alex
NickW
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:28 pm Reply with quote
FireBird wrote:
Hi,

@Captain: thanks for testing.

@Nick & GNA: the radio stations part is already partly implemented. I just would like to wait a little bit and if there are no bug reports, I?ll make it a V1.0 including readme and source.

Regards, Alex

That's great, I look forward to it. BTW, I used name and channel during the delete and there were no bugs, it just worked.

Regards,

Nick.