Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  well its on order

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
madasahat
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:17 pm Reply with quote
i just orderd a toppy from turbosat i hope its as good as you guys say Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
matt
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
No need to worry. See here

Smile
sneeks
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 20 Apr 2005 Posts: 62
I ordered my Toppy from Turbosat today and should receive it tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to trying it out tomorrow night.
RichardEast
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:48 pm Reply with quote
This site is brilliant. There is so much information and helpful advice it is difficult to know where to start. I was about to order a Toppy when I first found the site. After several hours reading there seems to be so much wrong with the machine I have now decided not to go ahead. This is very disappointing as the Toppy has an excellent spec.
Is it really that bad? If you cannot rely on a recording being made then it is worse than useless! Am I wrong? Sad

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
For most people it?s fine. There, however, are many issues that you need to be aware of, and work with, and around. Certainly, if you are not comfortable with technology then you?ll end up fighting the Toppy.

I?ve only lost one programme ? that was a 0MB problem. Other than that it works fine. Yes, you do have to take time to read all the information available, and some features are not the most obvious. Actually, it?s more reliable than my VCR ? that had a bug with PDC, sometime it would decide not to record
nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
RichardEast wrote:
This is very disappointing as the Toppy has an excellent spec.
Is it really that bad? If you cannot rely on a recording being made then it is worse than useless! Am I wrong? Sad

Well, I've not lost a single recording, as far as I can see, nor have I experienced any of the other glitches (a recording of a Morrissey concert was cut short, but that was due to wrong EPG data, as far as I could see).

One of the concerns I had with creating the bug list was that it can give the wrong impression, hence the warning that I've added to the page. Many people don't experience the problems. Any bug list that pretends they don't happen is useless, but when you have an entry that refers to lost recordings, then it does look offputting to newcomers. I can't see a way around that, unfortunately; I don't want to hide bug information from people who don't take the time to look at the forums.

To put some of this in a bit more perspective, we presently have 245 registered forum users; of those 102 have registered for the site Services, only 18 have entered a response to any bugs at all. Admittedly, the bug system only went live last weekend, but we have told people about it in numerous postings across the forums.

For the one bug that's marked as Critical - the one resulting on 0Mb recordings - 7 users have logged a response, with 3 rating it essential, 3 very important and 1 (that was me) not affected.

The 'recordings appear blank' bug has been responded to by six people, all of whom mentioned it as essential to fix.

So, if you just take the subset of (presumably motivated) people who've made any response to any of the bug entries, about a third have indicated that they've been affected by one of these issues that causes some sort of recording failure.

In practise, I suspect the real figure is much lower; most people aren't seeing the problem regularly even when they do see it, and though we can't impart any specific motives to those who haven't responded, my gut feeling is that if people were having serious problems, and knowing that we have provided a way for them to rate things, which Turbosat/Topfield are accessing, wouldn't they be using it?

Regards,

Nigel.
matt
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
What Nigel said.

I've had one 0MB recording and one blank recording, which I deleted before I heard of the work around.

Personally, I think it's a great machine - though I am a gadget freak!

I let my four housemates use it, one of them is not bothered, the other three have took to it like ducks to water. The only gripe they have is the switch to live after a chased record finishes. We all have our own folder, there's a Movie and Trash folder that we deem public. That system works a treat.

As with any new device, it takes a few days to become familiar with the menu system and to familiarise yourself with each screen and the buttons/options.

matt

Last edited by matt on Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
IanP
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 Apr 2005 Posts: 330
I've lost a couple of recordings out of about 100. None of the terestrial PVRs have any form of PDC but neither do any of the VCRs I've owned. You can manually pad recordings like on a VCR (or use a TAP to do it automatically).

Using VCRs I've lost recordings at a higher rate over the last few years (recording from external digital recievers) than with the Toppy. The ease of programmig the timed recordings from the EPG and not having to plug SCARTs into the right connecters, press the right buttons on the SCART switcher, find a spare tape that's long enough and program both the devices seperately just makes digital recording in the broadcast quality a breaze.
madasahat
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:04 pm Reply with quote
well i got it and i must say its fantastic i had no prob so far Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
RichardEast
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies.
There is always a problem when compiling a list of bugs. Some are serious, some minor and some just operational errors. The main thing is it helps everyone understand and get the best use out of the machine. I have absolutely no problem with anything technical having been a 'technie' for years but I am still concerned about recordings going wrong. Having worked in Broadcasting for 40 years, to me, one zero length recording is one too many. Maybe the new software when it comes it May will cure the worst.

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to know if all the people who've had 0mb recordings all have TAPs active. I never installed any TAPs and i never once had a recording fail.
Sulli
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Mar 2005 Posts: 250 Location: Manchester
My Toppy is my new best friend. HaHa. I record about 7 programmes a day having not one missed recording that was caused by my Toppy. Only missed recordings I have had was due to my own stupidity.

I get a feeling for some people that there?s not going to be any PVR ever that?s going to suit their standards. All PVR?s are going to have bugs. No one of the bugs renders the Toppy useless in any means.

sneeks - I run TAPs such as PM etc from Startup and don't get any problems.
Normsthename
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:42 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 118
Quote:
I get a feeling for some people that there?s not going to be any PVR ever that?s going to suit their standards

When a video recorder does'nt record video, I am fussy like that.......
matt
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:17 am Reply with quote
Norm, it does record video for 95% of people 99% of the time. Please don't blow this out of proportion any more than it already is.

matt
sneeks
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:19 am Reply with quote
It recorded 100% of the time for me over 72 hours use.