Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Windows 10 Altair Antares and z4t problem

Page 1 of 1
wjohnm
Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Hi All, good to be back after 13 years, lost login if I had one so now on current email.
All been working well but getting noisy and full so thought better consider a new disk, that will be another question later after going through the great long list of advice.
Problem here is that my computer with Altair died some time ago. Having tried all the links from here to find Altair
Topfield sites dead
Google driver download etc sites when checked all indicate either viruses or spyware.
Thanks to qubits and http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17286
So took risk of Antares, but could not install the needed z4t on my Dell XPS13, however no way to allow it to install even using the forum advice as per the link above
(DisableDriverSignatureEnforcement)
I had to dig out an old Futisu laptop that struggles to do much and had dead keys!
Anyway it all worked well on that, however every time the computer reboots it needs z4t driver rerun, having disabled enforcement. It does force these windows updates although can be delayed a few times, but it took me nearly 3 days to backup, with all the jamming and locking of the PC.

Anyone found any other way of copying files as I need to use a more modern PC before the old one totally gives up.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4559
I've only once had to reinstall z4t on my Windows 10 pc so there must be something funny about your setup i.e. there is no requirement to install z4t each time you want to connect.

What version of windows are you using?

Re the disk noise: are you sure it is the disk? Try touching the toppy case to see if the noise stops (sometimes, it is just the position of the toppy on what it is standing and the noise can be reduced by using felt pads or similar).

Obviously, if the disk is full then you either need a bigger disk or need to delete some files.

Have all the capacitors in the psu been changed?

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
wjohnm
Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Geoff,
I guessed the disk as it starts quiet, then gets more noisy, and as it is 15 years old may be time, hence may get new disc, and would help with size, but looks a bit complex with PATA/SATA issues.
It maybe the Fujitsu Win10 had not been updated for 6 months so the update updated all the drivers including z4t (whatever that changes)
None of the capacitors have been changed, didn't even know that was an issue, so must look to see if I can do that.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4559
Your capacitors are a must. Contacy andyfras for details of his replacement services (board swap, replace caps or a kit to replace your own).

It probably was about 6 months ago that Microsoft did a major update that required z4t to be reloaded; it has been fine since.

We have no idea what you are running on the toppy so I suggest you post your "MyInfo Log.dat" file (the easiest way is to use TopManager | Display and cut and paste)

Might also be useful to run \ProgramFiles\Utilities\fsCheck and post the results in the fsCheck Reports thread
This will show the state of the disk.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
wjohnm
Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Geoff Bacon wrote:
Your capacitors are a must. Contacy andyfras for details of his replacement services (board swap, replace caps or a kit to replace your own).

It probably was about 6 months ago that Microsoft did a major update that required z4t to be reloaded; it has been fine since.

We have no idea what you are running on the toppy so I suggest you post your "MyInfo Log.dat" file (the easiest way is to use TopManager | Display and cut and paste)

Might also be useful to run \ProgramFiles\Utilities\fsCheck and post the results in the fsCheck Reports thread
This will show the state of the disk.

Possibly it was 6mths ago so maybe that explains it.
Only running 2 TAPs EPGNavigator 5.10 QuickJump 1.72
Although looking at my backup files I obviously tried a few others.
I must look into TopManager etc, and firmware but have been inclined to let sleeping dogs lie, or working Toppy work.
It has been a good machine for longer than my Pace twin.

andyfras
Posted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:14 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3477
wjohnm wrote:
None of the capacitors have been changed, didn't even know that was an issue, so must look to see if I can do that.

https://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19103

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ