Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Standby

Page 1 of 1
Joe9045
Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:56 am Reply with quote
Joined: 15 Apr 2013 Posts: 3 Location: Grantham, Lincolnshire
Hello. Don't know if anyone still uses this forum. I've had 3 toppy's in the past. Now I've set one up for the wife. The power for the telly and toppy comes from the same outlet. When she puts the telly on in the morning that toppy also boots up and she forgets to turn it off so it can be "running all day". Does any one know a setting that I can use to put the machine onto standby after a minute or so.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Joe Shepherd.
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:29 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 4588
I don't believe there is a tap that will automatically put the toppy into standby shortly after it has booted.

Having a toppy "running" isn't a bad thing. OK, it is using electricity but it does minimise the likely hood of disk corruption (a real pain)

It sounds as though you are switching the TV off by the wall every night and that turns off both the toppy and the TV.

Assuming the aerial lead runs from the wall to the toppy and then into the tv, you always need the toppy powered up when the tv is in use.
The easiest way to do this is to leave the toppy (and TV) powered on permanently and switch the TV off at the TV (rather than the wall).
Doing this means that the toppy doesn't need to boot when the TV is switched on and also allows the toppy to record whenever it wants to

You can manually put the toppy into standby and it will stay there until it needs to start for a timer or you press the remote.

Better still is to install MyStuff on the box and set it to automatically put the toppy into standby overnight (e.g. 00:30). You can also set an EPG timer so that it wakes up at 0700 say , captures the EPG data and shuts down again.
Note: I used to do this but I have now set mine to stay switched on after the EPG scan (instant access and less likely for the disk to be wiped/corrupted).

If you want to try MyStuff, use the GCBMyStuffInstaller from my website (link below my sig)

Obviously, it all depends on how you use this tv/toppy. For example, we tend to record stuff we are interested in even when we are likely to be in the room when it is broadcast. This means that we don't have to watch it live if we don't want to.
MyStuff provides easy methods to record series or regular soaps without continually needing to manually record via the EPG

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
albertd
Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:30 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jul 2010 Posts: 587
If you have MyStuff installed, there is an option in the "Y" section of the options to turn off at a specific time, if that helps.

Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:06 pm Reply with quote
albertd wrote:
If you have MyStuff installed, there is an option in the "Y" section of the options to turn off at a specific time, if that helps.

Thank you for getting back to me. Some useful info there. Perhaps your right. It's just that my daughter had a house fire a few years ago caused by DVD player, so wary of leaving things on all night. I'll have a look at MyStuff. Once again thank you.
Joe Shepherd.
Joe9045
Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:11 pm Reply with quote
albertd wrote:

Thank you for getting back to me. Much appreciated. I will have a look at MyStuff. Thank you.
Joe Shepherd.
albertd
Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jul 2010 Posts: 587
Joe9045 wrote:
albertd wrote:

Thank you for getting back to me. Some useful info there. Perhaps your right. It's just that my daughter had a house fire a few years ago caused by DVD player, so wary of leaving things on all night. I'll have a look at MyStuff. Once again thank you.
Joe Shepherd.
I suspect this should have been addressed to Geoff.

Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 4588
I can see why you are reluctant to leave devices switched on.

You originally asked about standby - in this mode the toppy is still powered on so the only difference is the the amount of electricity used between standby and fully running.

It really depends on how much you use the toppy and whether you use it a lot for recording.

Wall to toppy to TV for the aerial lead is the typical config; it allows the toppy to record without the TV being on; it also allows you watch using the TV native tuners.

Other configs could be
wall to TV to toppy
This would allow you to use a switched extension lead with the toppy normally switched off. Against this, if OFF, the toppy couldn't wake up for recordings and you would not be able to record on the toppy without switching on the TV (so that the signal gets passed through). This is obviously going to be a pain if you are not present when the toppy wants to record

second aerial feed
Have separate aerial cables for toppy and TV. You could then have the toppy on a switched extension lead. Still requires you to ensure it is switched on before it wants to record. This would probably require a powered unit in the loft + an extra lead to be installed i.e. requires expenditure, potential to miss recordings

MyStuff really assumes that the toppy can switch itself on automatically (it gets a bit confused if the EPG hasn't been updated for several days) so I would stick with the typical config (wall => toppy => TV). If you wanted, you could use an extension lead with individual switched sockets - this would allow you to fully power off the TV without powering off the toppy (better still, change the single socket to a double socket)

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
MikB
Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:22 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 Sep 2006 Posts: 290 Location: West Midlands
Joe9045 wrote:
Does any one know a setting that I can use to put the machine onto standby after a minute or so.

No TAP needed Smile

The Topfield has a built-in "Sleep Timer", which can be set to standby after 10 minutes, if this is quick enough for you?

Press "Opt", it's the final option on the menu: "Sleep Timer: No -> 10mins -> 20mins" etc.

TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: 5.13.65T 14/4/2009 -AbCkEeEfEpHeKtRaRhRsSdStSyTeTfTpTsVr+Pf
TAPs: DescriptionExtender 2.1; MeiSearch 1.30; EPG Clean V1.01 Dev Version; EPGnavigator v5.1c; MyInfo B5.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/15