Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  What's the best alternative to toppy now?

Page 1 of 1
exim
Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Haven't replaced my unit which died years ago, but would like to be able to record TV the way I used to.
I'm out of the loop.

Is there anything out there that will:

- Record DVB-T & T2 & allow transfer to PC with unencrypted recordings (HD too).
- 2+ tuners record 2 stations & watch another different channel at same time
- ...perhaps even record more stations if on the same mux like toppy did?
mikej2005
Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jun 2006 Posts: 114 Location: UK
Sorry about the late reply - I haven't visited this forum in quite some time !

There are so few manufacturers making Freeview PVRs these days, that your options are limited to just 3, AFAIK - Panasonic, Humax and Manhattan.

I have an older (2012) Humax HDR Fox T2 which has served me so well that I recently put a new HDD in it after the old one started failing.

Humax have had one or two machines out since then, with the most recent being the FVP 5000T but I've read many comments saying that recent Humax PVRs are sluggish which is strange, considering my much older machine works well, especially considering it's age.

Panasonic have a few different models out - I'm not familiar with these, but I think they haven't been updated in a while. Some have been around for 3-4 years.

Manhattan PVRs are the most recent PVRs available and have only been out in recent months. Opinions seen divided, with some finding them great and others having problems. There are one or two threads in the 'Freeview and YouView' forum over on AV Forums if you want to find out more.

I would imagine that most of the current PVRs will allow you to record at least 2 programs at once, but I'm not sure what the viewing options would be if you wanted to watch a 3rd.

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3536
mikej2005 wrote:
Sorry about the late reply - I haven't visited this forum in quite some time !

There are so few manufacturers making Freeview PVRs these days, that your options are limited to just 3, AFAIK - Panasonic, Humax and Manhattan.

3 maybe with Freeview branding but there are other Enigma 2 PVR boxes that can receive all the Freeview channels with a 7 day EPG plus and all the other bespoke hardware configurations that can run on the PC or something like a Raspberry Pi. Recording 8+ programs at the same time while watching a 9th or watching a recording has been commonplace for more than the past few years.

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jun 2006 Posts: 114 Location: UK
alan_m wrote:
3 maybe with Freeview branding but there are other Enigma 2 PVR boxes that can receive all the Freeview channels with a 7 day EPG plus and all the other bespoke hardware configurations that can run on the PC or something like a Raspberry Pi. Recording 8+ programs at the same time while watching a 9th or watching a recording has been commonplace for more than the past few years.

Ah, thanks for that - I guess I should have said 'major manufacturers' Smile

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2658
mikej2005 wrote:
alan_m wrote:

Ah, thanks for that - I guess I should have said 'major manufacturers' :)

You'll be missing out if you totally discount them.

ccsx
bugbear
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:38 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Sep 2007 Posts: 235
I am starting to look into a replacement for my Toppy, against the fateful day when it finally breaks. (or SD transmission stops).

Despite being a life-long software engineer, I cannot (after much reading) work out the relationship between:

Kodi
OpenVix
Enigma2

and how they relate to having a box (of some kind) with a remote control (of some kind) that provide Toppy-ish/MyStuff functionality.

I can find LOTS of (slightly obsessive) detail about them, but no overview.

BugBear

Bill Joy
TF5800, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 28/5/16
alan_m
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:51 pm Reply with quote
bugbear wrote:
I am starting to look into a replacement for my Toppy, against the fateful day when it finally breaks. (or SD transmission stops).

Despite being a life-long software engineer, I cannot (after much reading) work out the relationship between:

Kodi
OpenVix
Enigma2

and how they relate to having a box (of some kind) with a remote control (of some kind) that provide Toppy-ish/MyStuff functionality.

I can find LOTS of (slightly obsessive) detail about them, but no overview.

BugBear

Enigma 2 is the generic name for a number of boxes from perhaps a dozen manufacturers. Consider it to be the underlying hardware platform. They either have satellite or terrestrial tuners (or a combination) and all are capable of running the same basic software (image) such as Openvix, OpenATV or OpenPli. All can be networked connected and have hardware to support a hard disk for PVR functionality, or you can use network hard disk. All boxes have Ethernet capability, some have inbuilt wi-fi while others need a wi-fi dongle (if required). I personally just wire my main box to my router. My bedroom box is wi-fi connected (via my router).

The boxes come in various specifications at various price points. You have to add the price of a hard disk which, depending on the model, can be fitted internally or externally (external USB disk). Smaller boxes have no room to fit an internal disk. Cheaper boxes may have one or two tuners while the more expensive boxes can have multiple tuners. Some more expensive satellite capable boxes now support FBC tuners and others unicable LNBs. A FBC tuner is effectively 4 to 8 tuners in the same module and unicable is the new generation of LNB equivalent to a 32 output LNB down a single cable.

All the boxes are capable of recording 8 or more programs simultaneously while still watching live or a recorded program.

The list of possible boxes is at
https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers
A few may not be Enigma 2 but perhaps android that cannot run OpenVix.

All boxes come with their own remote control and all the remotes are functionally similar, albeit a remote from one manufacturer may not work with a box from another. The remotes can vary in quality and some later model boxes support voice operated remotes. Harmony (programmable remotes) often have settings for many of these remotes. There are configurations in the Openvix menus for various different input devices (remote controls) but I've not tried this function.

A few boxes may support multi boot on power-up so you can have more than one image on the box and/or maybe some different functionality.

Consider OpenVix to be the equivalent of Mystuff running on the native Toppy interface. It is open source written by hobbyists BUT, in my opinion, well mature and much better than that found on on most commercial branded, Freeview, Freesat, Sky and Virgin boxes. I guess that most people who have migrated from Mystuff are running Openvix. OpenATV or OpenPli are alternatives and can be easily swapped onto any Enigma box you may purchase (and swaped back again to Openvix). They all have the same underlying core but it is suggested that OpenVix may be more user friendly and with more UK support. Remember these boxes don’t just cater for the UK market!

There is a learning curve with the functionality and terminology. OpenVix has nearly all the functionality of Mystuff but implemented differently and with different terminolgy for the functions. There are a few areas that don't match the Mystuff functionality but the Egnigma2/Openvix also has a lot of functionality missing on a Toppy/Mystuff

The boxes/openvix suport a range of third party plug-ins equivalent to the Toppy Taps but don’t expect too much documentation to accompany them – after all they were written (hacked together) by software engineers Smile

Some OpenVix features
https://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/openvix-features-2/

Kodi can be somewhat of a red herring in that you cannot run Kodi on a Toppy box and running it on a Enigma 2 box may be equally problematic. Some manufactures are claiming Kodi support and for some it hasn’t been forthcoming. Possibly don’t base you choice on having Kodi. These boxes don’t necessarily support catch up TV very well. A few years back there were plug-ins that supported Iplayer etc, but as the broadcasters changed the way they did things these plug-ins ceased to work.

6 years ago Sarah produced a video for Openvix running on a Miraclebox Enigma 2 receiver
The video is 6 years old and she got a few things wrong (for instance you can jump forwards AND back through a program) but it does give a good idea of the capability of OpenVix on an Enigma 2 box. In the intervening 6 years some improvements/changes have been made. Openvix on a box works the same for terrestrial or satellite. I have a box with both types of tuner and can record from all tuners at the same time.

Note the box in the video is no longer sold but current boxes (from many manufacturers) possibly have better specification with regards speed ,amount of RAM, Flash etc. than the box in the video. These boxes are unlikely to run of of RAM, unlike the Toppy Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMUwpe2IO0c&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijWJ8qXt_ek&feature=youtu.be

Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Sep 2007 Posts: 235
Thank you - that's all most helpful.

BugBear

Bill Joy
TF5800, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 28/5/16
alan_m
Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:02 pm Reply with quote
bugbear wrote:
Thank you - that's all most helpful.

BugBear

The latest boxes support 4K, HD and SD TV.

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Oct 2006 Posts: 108
Hi OP if you are still reading.

I asked the same question about a year ago, and ended up answering it myself with a Raspberry Pi/OSMC setup. It has made an excellent Topfield successor.

If you're interested, see the thread https://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21309&start=0 and my full procedure at

http://unixetc.co.uk/2019/11/22/how-to-watch-and-record-live-tv-with-a-raspberry-pi/

Jim.

Sig generated by MyInfo on 14/9/1

TF5800, OSMC/Pi, All in One 7145, Sansa Clip Zip/Rockbox, Sony Blu-ray, Leak Delta 70/Sandwich 600