Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAPs  ~  Font Manager appears after power cuts

Page 1 of 1
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:06 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 761
We had a series of power 4 cuts over the weekend. It looks like the Toppy came through it OK, but I had some unexpected behaviour whenever the box restarted after a power cut. The Font Manager options screen appeared each time it came back up, stopping the later TAPs from starting till I'd closed the screen. We had a cut after midnight, and the box was waiting for input till I checked it the following morning. Only then would the final Auto Start TAPs (like MyStuff) start.

I was unaware that startup behaviour after a power cut was any different to normal startup, so why should FM appear?

Noiseblocker XR1 fan added Mar '18
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+U+Uu
TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:59 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4385
run fsCheck in case file system is corrupted?

Try moving FontManager to later in the startup order - hopefully, the other taps will start up first (Use TopManager PcControl|Tap Commander)

Perhps FM can't find it's options file and prompts for new values; I can't ever remember it prompting for options (although I did go through the options once but I can't remember how)

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I did run fscheck after the cuts had stopped and all appears fine. FM only appears after a power cut or when it's newly installed via the MS installer. It's done this for several years on various toppies when installing a fresh copy, but I don't remember it doing this otherwise.

The only thing I can think of is that it runs VF&F after restarting, but I'm not sure why that should trigger FM to go into its options. Maybe the options file gets trashed every time there's a power cut, but I can't see why as the file shouldn't be open.

ccs
Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2582
I don't know whether this is relevant.....

Black Cloud wrote:
I pulled the wall plug so I could time a VF&F, and maybe found something helpful.

Timings first, from power on, through VF&F to all taps loaded is just under 4 minutes. The 1.5TB disk is half full of mostly TV progs, with maybe 20 mp3 and 50 photos. Total usage 726GB.

After the VF&F finished, the taps loaded. First I saw Media Manager say it was initialising (not using FM font), then the FM screen came up normally, and then Media Manager wrote 'loading data files' (using FM font) on top of the FM screen. After a few seconds this all disappeared and MyStuff loaded, but without finishing with 'now and next' banner.

At this point, any keystroke brings up a mangled FM screen. I think perhaps the keystroke did what it should do, but the onscreen graphic that corresponds to the keystroke was not drawn, leaving the previous FM graphic to be displayed.

If the first keystroke happens to be a keystroke that can be dismissed with the exit key, eg. MS archive key, or N&N key, then the FM graphic gets taken away. If not, the FM graphic cannot be dismissed, making it look like it is FM that is misbehaving.

After this point, everything works normally.

Regarding stability, I have plenty of that. The toppy doesn't crash that I know of. I leave Power Manager to shut it down at 2am (I often forget to power it down myself because I went 3 years leaving it on all the time).

But yes, I would like to know why the VF&F occurs about once a week...

ccsx
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for finding that that. I think I saw it when I searched, but I ignored it as the behaviour is different to mine: I didn't watch it restart, but when I turned on the TV, the FM options screen was displayed each time. It was only after I closed the FM screen that MS started to load (spinning roundels in top left). No screen corruption if keys other than exit are pressed.

My 1Tb disk is quite full, though there's 60Gb of space: it did go down to 30Gb before I archived and deleted a couple of series which I'm not going to watch in the near future. Embarassed

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I think you need to make sure that Font Manager is loaded late at startup e.g. last (in case it thinks the font files are not there while it is rebuilding the disk)_

Note: Juwlz surmised that when FM ran, it displayed the menu because, the VF&F had taken so long that it thought that tap had been run interactively. If this is the case, moving it to last position is unlikely to fix the problem for a large disk with many files (you would probably need to regenerate the tap with a longer delay before it decides it has been run interactively)

Looking at the FontManager.C source code , it contains the following:-
void handleInitialisation()
{
. . .
if (TAP_GetTick() > (100 * 60 * 3))
TSRCommanderConfigDialog();
}
i.e If the system has been running for more than 3 minutes, it looks like the config will be shown.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:11 am Reply with quote
Thanks for finding that. I didn't go so far back in my search Embarassed That looks like the issue: it certanly explains why it appears after a power cut (VF&F) and when using the MS Installer. I haven't tweaked its position in the startup chain, so I assumed that was where it was meant to be from the MS Installer. But as you say, if it checks for a delay, moving it won't have any effect.

I can confirm that recordings happen even when it is displayed. If that's the case, I think that doing nothing is the best option, now that I know why it appears. I'm wary of putting it after MS in case it causes any issues with the icons and windows that MS displays.

ccs
Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:42 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2582
Do you really needs Font Manager, I've managed without it? Smile

Recordings will still run ok, at least the ones already set, but changes to schedules will be missed until the FM screen is cleared.

ccsx
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:04 pm Reply with quote
You can move it if you want (MS doesn't know anything about it)

Geoff

YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:56 am Reply with quote
I realise that MS knows nothing about it, which is why I was concerned about MS displaying icons and information on top of the FM choices screen if FM loaded after MS.

I might try without it.