Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Bugs  ~  FIXED - Toppy now reboots when TV input changed

Page 1 of 1
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:16 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 781
We've had our Panny TV for at least 18 months. The Toppy is plugged in to the SCART socket (AV1) and the YouView box has been plugged into an HDMI socket (HDMI1). It's worked without a problem till today.

Today I added a cheap, secondhand 3rd generation AppleTV box to the second HDMI socket (HDMI2). Now when I change the TV input from HDMI2 to AV1, the Toppy immediately restarts and goes into VF&F. Then it's fine till I do it again. If I go from HDMI1 to AV1, it's fine. The problem is that I've got into the habit of switching the input by repeatedly pressing the button till it gets to the right one, but this goes HDMI1 -> HDMI2 -> AV1 and it crashes the Toppy. Rolling Eyes

I swapped the HDMI inputs for the AppleTV and YouView boxes, but it still crashes switching from HDMI2 to AV1. I did wonder if it was something to do with the TV display modes and OSD, as the switch from 1080p to 576p (?) displayed on screen for a moment before it crashed, but turning them off has done nothing.

Any thoughts?

Noiseblocker XR1 fan added Mar '18
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+U+Uu
TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 781
Well not so much a Toppy problem as a user problem Embarassed I have the various elements plugged in to a power saver extension lead which is controlled by the TV. Things like the amp and DVD player are only powered up when the TV is on, whereas the Toppy and YouView box are always on. When adding the AppleTV box, I plugged it into the always on section to set it up and then moved it to the controlled section afterwards. Except I didn’t - I moved the Toppy instead, so whenever the TV switches between inputs, it must create a little power drop which is enough to cause the power saver to kick in very briefly, and it was that which was killing the Toppy.

I’m such an idiot! :doh:

Noiseblocker XR1 fan added Mar '18
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+U+Uu
TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
jimi
Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:27 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Mar 2006 Posts: 192
At least you figured it out and it was an easy fix. I use a similar setup, with the Toppy on the always on section.