Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Topfield TF5800PVR

Page 1 of 1
Judith
Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I bought this box in the UK around 8 years ago. I have over 50 films recorded on to the hard drive. I moved to France in 2013 and stored the box until now as I cannot use it for TV here.

I have recently set up the box to try to access these archived films but find I am unable to open them. The user manual confirms that the menu will not work without any saved channels. I have searched for TV channels and found none as the Topfield does not pick up any French channels. I use a Humax freeview box via a satellite dish on my roof to watch English TV.

I have been sent some very interesting links to download the Topfield hard drive using Windows and various options, but I use a Chromebook and do not own a SmartTV. I do have a very ancient PC which is unbearably slow so think this option may be unrealistic, although I will try. I am also not computer savvy enough to understand the options so kindly sent to me about flash drives, Linex Puppy links or using an FTool.

So frustrating that I cannot save my good old film archives. Any advice welcome.
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4385
I think your only option will be to resurrect your old pc and install TopfHDRW on it
https://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=265552.

You then have to extract your disk from the toppy and connect it to the PC (this may require you to buy an adapter - about £8 on ebay).
TopfHDRW can then be used to copy the toppies \DataFiles\*.rec to the pc (assuming you have enough free storage on the PC).

You should then be able to watch the files on the PC screen. My Win10 system can play these files directly but, as your pc is ancient, you may need to use VLC to view them (VLC is free).

Another alternative is, that having copied them from the toppy disk, you stick one on a memory card and try to play it on your Chromebook (if that works, you can think about whether you want to buy a "bigger" memory card to store all the recordings on).

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
Judith
Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for this advice Geoff. I have installed TopfHDRW on my old PC but not sure how to 'extract my disk from the toppy'. What is the adapter I need from ebay? I have a cable which attaches from the small USB socket on the back of the box to the PC and have a 128GB USB stick also a fairly large memory card. Not sure if these will hold all 50+ films I have on the toppy, but could perhaps copy a few at a time.

Many thanks
Judith
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Just had another thought...
Although the toppy won't display any programs (it is locked into the system menu awaiting a scan for channels), files can still be transferred via USB.

So
1) Install Antares on your old pc
2) Connect the toppy to the pc via a USB cable e.g. a printer cable.
3) Run Antares and copy the smallest recording from the toppy to the pc.
(You can use Turbo mode to make it faster). This will be slower than TopfHDRW but doesn't require extraction of the toppy disk or purchase of an adapter.
4) Try playing the transferred recording on the pc (VLC?) and/or on the Chromebook using a memory stick.

Having established how to get it to work, you are then better placed to decide what approach you want to take.

One further thing; you may be able to connect your Chromebook to the TV i.e. play a recording on the Chromebook but display it on a big screen. This obviously depends on the capabilities of your chromebook and tv.

Assuming the above does what you want, you could just transfer all the recordings via USB i.e. without using TopfHDRW. The transfer will be slow but who cares. One gotcha is that the pc may kill a transfer when the screen saver kicks in (you need to disable power saving on the pc USB port and extend the screen saver so that it doesn't occur).

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Hi Judith

Just noticed your post about installing TopfHDRW.

For now, I suggest you just try Antares approach as per my previous post (it saves you having to extract the disk/ spending money)

Note: As well as installing Antares, you may have to run something called z4t from the same site (z4t loads the drivers on the pc - I'm not sure if the Antares installation does this for you)

Geoff