Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Antares error

Page 1 of 1
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 794
I run a regular backup of my Toppy using a Windows cmd-script and Antares. Some days it will copy files seamlessly, and others it will throw up errors. I recently reloaded most of my .rec files back onto the Toppy after it needed resetting, and it stayed connected for hours on end without errors, but other times it would stall quite often. It seems to recover from some of the errors, but others cause the connection to "hang". I'm struggling to find a pattern, though it does appear to happen slightly more frequently if the Toppy is in use. I've attached a typical set of errors from today - click on the image to see it larger.

Any thoughts on why?

Noiseblocker XR1 fan added Mar '18
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+U+Uu
TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4444
Why did the Toppy "need resetting"?
e.g. disk wiped or you just fancied reloading some files

How are you connecting to the toppy ?
Assuming it is USB, what length is the cable? (and try a different one)

How long between loss of connections?
Check that the USB port is not set to switch off (the Power Saving tab)
Check that the computer display isn't switching off due to user inactivity (it will happily reduce power to devices even though you are using them 100%) - you could set the inactivity timer to something like 8 hours when you are testing

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply

I "refreshed" it as it had disk errors, which was causing MS to crash several times a day or fail to start all together without renaming the old file and copying a backup into the appropriate directory, so I gave up trying after several days and did a reformat followed by a factory reset. I then reinstalled MS and copied back the recordings over the next few days. It meant less downtime, if possibly more work in the long run.

It is connected via a 1m USB cable. As I said, it can stay connected copying files all night without a hitch, or it can fail within 10 minutes of starting up, so it's extremely unlikely that the USB port turns off. It does seem to fail more frequently during the day, though it has failed at night too. I have set all the PC settings to the equivalent of "always on" as the laptop is only used now for Toppy backups. The only thing that turns off is the screen after 5 hours, but it never sleeps. The cable isn't touched from day to day.

I have some USB patches in my firmware, so I'm wondering if one of those is pushing things too hard every now and again. The problem is that they do speed up USB transfers, which is useful when you're copying many files across.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4444
Were the disk errors hard or soft?
If hard then reformatting the disk is probably going to disguise the problem.
If soft, I suggest that you use MS to do an EPG scan each morning and then keep the toppy turned on. Set it to shutdown around 00:30 (or after your normal bedtime).
Doing this should minimise the possibility of the file system being corrupted.
Suggest you post the output of fsCheck in the fsCheck Reports thread.

Might also be a good idea to check your signal levels (quality need to be 98+ on all muxes)

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:56 am Reply with quote
Toppy has been coming on in the morning and staying on a ITV4+1 to spin down the disk whenever possible for many, many years. I did run fscheck at the time and it showed a few unexpected files in the root directory but nothing untoward on SMART. The Toppy's been running without major issue since, so I'm fairly sure it wasn't the start of the disk failing. Quality has been consistently at 100% since they turned off analogue, though I don't use the local MUX