Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  "Memory Deallocation Error" Loop & Crash

Page 1 of 1
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:37 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 741
I was watching a recording while another recording was in progress. I got a MyStiff error box saying "Memory Deallocation Error: 160". The recording continued to play, with the error box disappearing every couple of seconds and reappearing immediately. It also displayed the same error with code 161. The Toppy was unresponsive to the remote, and I tried a variety of keys without success. Eventually it crashed and went into VF&F.

There are only 2 recent changes that I can see:
1. A couple of channels have changed and the EPG is now saying I need to do a rescan.
2. I have lenghtened the time that the Toppy is awake on a blank channel during the day. This is so that it doesn't need to wake to record so many programmes last thing at night or first thing in the morning.

I've searched for this error, and found a couple of references to it 16 months ago, including my own thread, which I'd totally forgotten Shocked Is BobD still with us to tell us what the error message is about and if there's a way to stp it before the Toppy crashes

TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:50 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4277
When a program runs, it can request blocks of memory from the operating system and then when no longer required, it gives them back to the OS (it has to do this because memory is a limited resource). As well as the area of memory for the program, the OS allocates a small amount of space so that it can manage the block.

A memory deallocation error typically means that the O/S has detected that the block has been released more than once (or that it's control structures have been corrupted).

Once this is encountered, your only option is to reboot the toppy.

BobD doesn't have a development system (and probably not even a toppy) and, as this is a transient fault, there is no way that he could detect/ fix it. i.e. Reboot.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:17 pm Reply with quote
This appeared to be a MyStuff error judging by the colour of the box for the error message. It may well have been reporting a system call error. I was wondering if looking at the MS code might give some idea of a way out without simply watching it repeat every couple of seconds for several minutes till it crashes

ccs
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2537
I'd keep the toppy shutdown until needed, less time for it to run out of memory, although I doubt that is the real cause.

What is UK OZ Surfer?

Ok, I know now. Do you actually use it?

Have you tried
jimi wrote:
All I did was to power it down, unplug for 10 minutes and put it back on, haven't seen the error again (so far :) )
mentioned in the other thread.

ccsx
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:40 am Reply with quote
I do use the Surfer TAP - I used it only a few nights ago. I hardly think a TAP that's worked fine for 10 years is going to start causing problems now.

I hadn't seen the error for 16 months, so jimi saying he'd not seen it for a few hours/days isn't really relevant.

The Toppy was showing signs of trouble, which was why I lengthened the time it was on, as it seemed to have problems with some recordings from standby. I couldn't find anything in particular to "tweak", as I'd run checks on the drive.

The Toppy had frozen when doing a recording from standby last night and was stuck with a frozen picture and front panel. I needed to pull the plug and even then it wouldn't restart, displaying a channel but not accepting keypresses. Starting TAPless helped, as the Programfiles folder was "misbehaving" and not displaying properly in the native archive. It wiped the hard drive a few minutes later. Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes

So I reformated the drive and checked it for errors - nothing major. Luckily I'm mostly backed up, but it means a few days of recovering REC-files back onto the Toppy. It's so much more responsive again, so I guess I did have a problem before, just didn't find it in time...

jimi
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Mar 2006 Posts: 148
ccs wrote:

Have you tried
jimi wrote:
All I did was to power it down, unplug for 10 minutes and put it back on, haven't seen the error again (so far Smile )
mentioned in the other thread.

IIRC I saw the error again about a month after the initial appearance, but haven't seen it since in nearly 2 years