Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Toppy not responding to remote control.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4378
As ccs says, your firmware is fine.

andyfras might be able to advise you on a suitable disk and/or sell one. Disk technology has moved on so you will probably also need a suitable adapter (he can probably provide one at a reasonable cost)

When you have replaced the disk, don't forget to set MyStuff so that it shuts down each night (it will automatically awake if it needs to record something)

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
Poppa Mintin
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 May 2011 Posts: 211
Hi

I'm waiting for a new disc drive to arrive, in the meantime I want to save all the stuff on the old one.

Using Antares 1.1 I opened Toppy's drive and copied the Data Files folder, the MP3 folder is empty and as the Program Files would take several hours, and I can live without anything in there, I decided to pass on that.

However, I expected there to be much more in the data folder... Where are TAPs stored in a topfield 5810?
Can I just save those just as they are, and just copy them back and expect them to run? or do I have to re-install each TAP individually? (If I can remember how to do that ! )

Poppa.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4378
MP3 is typically empty
ProgramFiles (and it's Auto Start) contain the taps and MyStuff Data Files - should take about 2 mins to copy
DataFiles contains the recordings - this is what you want and also takes the time.

Do you store your recordings in folders ? if so, did you copy them to the pc?

If you think you have lost recordings then I can recover them for you. I would obviously need the disk (and the new one if you wanted me to do the transfer)

Recordings can be copied much faster if you use TopfHDRW. This requires extracting the disk and attaching it to your pc (you may need to buy a USB/SATA adapter for about £10). Don't use TopfHDRW to copy anything in ProgramFiles - Use TopManager| Snapshots | Take instead.

When copying the recordings with Antares, suggest you boot the toppy tapless and make sure turbo mode is enabled (you won't be able to use the toppy while the copy takes place.

When copying the files make sure you select the directory in the application e.g. DataFiles rather than each recording in it - this will preserve the directory structure as well as the contents and makes restoring to the new disk much easier.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:22 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 754
As someone who has just recovered a disk, I can back up Geoff that ProgramFiles only takes a few minutes to backup using Antares, and most of that seems to be the MyStuff backup files.

I run a Cmd script most days to backup my Toppy onto a 3Tb portable disk. On my 1Tb disk, it took well over a week to recover the recordings from the USB backup disk onto the Toppy. I ran pretty much 24x7 and I was unable to use Turbo much as it would have interfered with the recordings, though I do run the USB accelerator patches.

Nt sure if it's still the case, but TopfHDRW caused problems copying smaller files in ProgramFiles, but worked fine on large recording files. I didn't use it as I'd lent my adaptor to someone else and I hadn't realised it would take that long!

Noiseblocker XR1 fan added Mar '18
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+U+Uu
TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
Poppa Mintin
Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 May 2011 Posts: 211
Thanks guys,

I find I've already copied all the files I expected to see... I've no idea why I couldn't find them before. Maybe I just didn't open the folders ! Embarassed

WRT data files, I regularly transfer those I want to keep to an external disc, I'm quite happy to loose game show stuff, if there are any files that I do want to keep I will copy them just before I do the swap.

Poppa.