Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Toppy won't boot. Help please!

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
ccs
Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2513
Your version of MyStuff is the latest.

ccsx
Grand Dizzy
Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Oct 2009 Posts: 147
Complete success! Everything works great now, I also used Top Manager to update freeview.dat and FvTxData.tsv, as prompted, plus the channel logos.

I can't thank you enough for your help, and your excellent programs, Geoff.

ccs wrote:
Your version of MyStuff is the latest.

Yeah, I was just thinking of re-installing it to freshen it up and make sure it's working properly. A fresh installation can sometimes help with sluggish performance, and MyStuff seems to have got quite slow over the years since I first installed it. Hitting record these days usually takes about a minute before I get control back. I do have 66 channels though, so maybe that's the problem.
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4225
I would have thought pressing record would only be slow when you are recording something that has already started; and this would be the same time on any toppy as it has to scan through the recording buffer to find the start of the program.

Pressing the archive is another matter. You have around 1000 recordings and this would have been way more than the toppy designers ever envisaged (disks were about 80/160 GB when it was release and probably half or a quarter of that when they were designing it.
Slow startup of the Toppy when Mystuff is installed is due to MS scanning every recording header (I was hoping it could cache this data and just validate it but that opportunity has disappeared).

Back to Archive, make sure the MS "V1: Exclusive Mode=Extreme"

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
juwlz
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:34 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Grand Dizzy wrote:
MyStuff seems to have got quite slow over the years since I first installed it. Hitting record these days usually takes about a minute before I get control back. I do have 66 channels though, so maybe that's the problem.
That will, indeed be a significant factor, together with the number of recordings, searches, etc. See Toppy Memory for more details, and how to improve things.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Grand Dizzy
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:13 am Reply with quote
Thanks, folks Smile

Geoff Bacon wrote:
I would have thought pressing record would only be slow when you are recording something that has already started; and this would be the same time on any toppy as it has to scan through the recording buffer to find the start of the program.

Well on mine it always seems slow, whether you're recording something in the future, or recording the buffer, or recording from "now". It always takes ages. Possibly there's something up with my program files and I might try reinstalling various components in the future.

juwlz wrote:
Grand Dizzy wrote:
I do have 66 channels though, so maybe that's the problem.
That will, indeed be a significant factor, together with the number of recordings, searches, etc. See Toppy Memory for more details, and how to improve things.

That's interesting, thanks. The Toppy always gets switched off at night, and I always try to keep the number of searches as low as possible (I've got about 30 right now).

The only thing I can really do is revert back to 55 channels, but that's the lowest I can do as there are over 60 good channels these days.
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:41 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 735
It's not just pressing record that causes mine to lock up. A new recording starting will display the roundel, and this won't be updated (or allow keypresses on the toppy) for 30 seconds or so. There's a similar delay when a recording stops, but it's only a few seconds

TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
juwlz
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:34 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Grand Dizzy wrote:
The only thing I can really do is revert back to 55 channels, but that's the lowest I can do as there are over 60 good channels these days.
IMHO the Toppy really isn't a good way to access radio, so getting rid of the radio channels can make a big difference.

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Grand Dizzy
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:50 pm Reply with quote
YorkshireJumbo wrote:
It's not just pressing record that causes mine to lock up. A new recording starting will display the roundel, and this won't be updated (or allow keypresses on the toppy) for 30 seconds or so. There's a similar delay when a recording stops, but it's only a few seconds

Yes, exactly the same for me. Whenever my remote stops working, I know it's because a recording will be just starting or just stopping. I usually have to wait about 15 seconds before the remote will work again.

juwlz wrote:
IMHO the Toppy really isn't a good way to access radio, so getting rid of the radio channels can make a big difference.

Personally, I've never had radio stations tuned in. I cannot bear commercials, so the only radio I would even consider would be BBC. However, I take objection to the BBC for its bigoted, intolerant, liberal, PC, feminist agenda. It makes me sick. So my life is radio-free and BBC-free Smile Though I still have the 7 BBC channels tuned as other members of my family watch that rubbish.
Grand Dizzy
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:17 pm Reply with quote
OK, everything seemed to be working so well, but I'm having new problems...

Last night, the EPG ran out of data and the MyStuff EPG disappeared. Then I remembered that epg2mei.tap was still missing (after Geoff advised me to disable it). So I copied epg2mei.tap back to the Toppy. I then started the Toppy with all taps disabled, ran epg2mei, left it half an hour, then loaded all the other taps.

This certainly helped. The MyStuff EPG is back, and half the channels have all their EPG data. However, the other half the channels have no EPG data at all!

I've already tried options Z1–Z4 ("Reload EPG", "Delete EPG files and rescan" and "Start an EPG scan") but nothing worked. I also moved the automatic EPG scan time to just after the current time in order to force an automatic scan, but that didn't work either.

Any thoughts?
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Please post your current MyInfo Log (check it's has the correct date)
Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
ccs
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2513
Maybe post your myinfo log to see if there is something amiss.

SNAP !!

ccsx
Grand Dizzy
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, guys. I'll have to do this tomorrow as the family watch TV all night and I can't get to the box!
Grand Dizzy
Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:31 am Reply with quote
Half the channels still have no EPG data

My MyInfo log this morning:

Code:
MyInfo B5.6 Logging settings etc on: 28/9/2018 at 03:00

Waiting for other TAPs to load and settle

Ini file found
Starting to record data 253 seconds from boot

System ID: 456
TV Output: Type = PAL, Video = RGB, RF Channel = 36
Reported firmware version: TF-NPT 5.13.65T dated Oct 10 2009
Base firmware version: 5.13.65

Running TAPS:
   Slot 0: EIT Sub (Game) v0.6  :  Provides faster, simpler and more robust EIT data collection, except when playing games
   Slot 1: EPG2MEI v0.96  :  Dumps the EPG data to disk as EPG.mei, with changes since last time in EPG_diff.mei
   Slot 2: Extend v1.7  :  Uses the Accurate Recording info to extend recordings (safely)
   Slot 3: fsSave 1.1  :  File System Save (of key structures)
   Slot 4: MHEG On/Off A3  :  MHEG control
   Slot 5: MyInfo B5.6  :  Displays & records Toppy basic info
   Slot 6: MyStuff 6.6  :  UI Replacement
   Slot 7: PruneEPG 1.0  :  Program to remove unnecessary entries from the EIT table
   Slot 8: SecCache (UK) v0.4  :  Optimal (UK) section caching to reduce the load on the Toppy
   Slots 9 - 15 not used

Installed patch list:-  Ab Bf Bq Ce Ck Cp Cw Cy De Ec Ee Ef Ep Er Es F Gm H He Kt Mh Nf Ot P Pc R Ra Re Rh Rp Rs S Sd Sl Sr St T2 Td Te Tf Tp Ts Vr Xp Xw Xl
Firmware MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009  modified thus: -Fm-Sy
Patch Decode Links - Will explain your patches:
   MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 :- http://www.toppy.org.uk/~simonc/dp.html?p=AbBfBqCeCkCpCwCyDeEcEeEfEpErEsFGmHHeKtMhNfOtPPcRRaReRhRpRsSSdSlSrStT2TdTeTfTpTsVrXpXwXl
   Missing patches:- http://www.toppy.org.uk/~simonc/dp.html?p=FmSy

Time Mode set to Auto
Time Offset set to Auto

Found 68 TV channels and 0 Radio channels
No channel problems detected
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 42 are: 16, 20, 21, 26, 27, 30, 34, 37, 44, 54, 57, 61, 63, 66, 70, 80, 83, 203,
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 45 are: 11, 12, 17, 23, 29, 32, 38, 40, 41, 43, 46, 48, 65, 72, 233,
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 51 are: 18, 19, 22, 25, 31, 35, 36, 39, 42, 47, 62, 71, 79, 81, 206, 234,
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 53 are: 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 13, 14, 15, 24, 28, 33, 73,
LCNs of programme channels found on Tx Ch 60 are: 1, 2, 9, 201, 202, 231, 232,

Interactive Off
Timeshift On

Memory - Free: 14 MB,  Available: 13 MB
Disk - Total: 932 GB, Free: 44 GB

1007 recordings (865 GB) + 8 deleted (7 GB) in 44 folders (+ 5 empty folders)

Time since boot: 0:0:4 (d:h:m)

Suggested signature for Toppy forum - copy following lines to signature block at http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/profile.php?mode=editprofile
[size=10][b]TF5800[/b], TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmSy
 [b]TAPs:[/b] EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; Extend v1.7; fsSave 1.1; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; MyStuff 6.6; PruneEPG 1.0; SecCache (UK) v0.4;
Sig generated by [url=http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/emjbtaps/MyInfo/MyInfo.zip]MyInfo[/url] on 28/9/18[/size]
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:21 am Reply with quote
That all looks fine though you might want to review channels between 200 and 300 (typically there is nothing of interest there)

I originally thought that you didn't have PruneEPG loaded but it is shown as there.

I don't have an issue with the number of channels you have configured and still wouldn't if you had radio channels as well. General advice is about 40 channels but this is based prior to my PruneEPG tap. Basically, without it, the buffer of EPG entries overflows with unwanted entries causing desirable entries to be discarded.

Unrelated to your EPG problem, you do have a very full disk so my advice would be to remove any recordings that you no longer want (I know it is a chore). This would make MS more responsive (but you might have to clean it up a lot to make a noticeable difference). You should also consider backup up anything that is important to you e.g. you could potentially lose 1000+ recordings. It might also be useful to retain your failing disk so that you could possibly retrieve data from it if the worst came to the worst.

Geoff

Grand Dizzy
Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply Smile

Geoff Bacon wrote:
That all looks fine though you might want to review channels between 200 and 300 (typically there is nothing of interest there)

Oh, I'm surprised you would say that. All the children's and news channels are between 200 and 300 and there's plenty of people who rarely watch anything other than news or children's channels. A friend of mine watches NOTHING but BBC News! The children's channels are particularly important in my family.

Geoff Bacon wrote:

I originally thought that you didn't have PruneEPG loaded but it is shown as there.

Sorry, I didn't realise I had it installed. Andy F installed all the drive for me a few years back and loaded it up with the software, so he must have put it on without me realising.)

Geoff Bacon wrote:
I don't have an issue with the number of channels you have configured and still wouldn't if you had radio channels as well. General advice is about 40 channels but this is based prior to my PruneEPG tap. Basically, without it, the buffer of EPG entries overflows with unwanted entries causing desirable entries to be discarded.

That's reassuring, thanks! Smile And thank you SO MUCH for PruneEPG! What a great community this is! Smile

Geoff Bacon wrote:
Unrelated to your EPG problem, you do have a very full disk so my advice would be to remove any recordings that you no longer want (I know it is a chore). This would make MS more responsive (but you might have to clean it up a lot to make a noticeable difference).

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. We're always on about 4% free. A lot of the stuff on there is things I want to transfer to my PC, but I don't want to lose the episode descriptions, so that's something I've got to figure out how to do sometime.

When you say "clean it up" are you talking about fragmentation? Because everything on there has only just been copied back on, so there should be very little fragmentation now.

Geoff Bacon wrote:
You should also consider backup up anything that is important to you e.g. you could potentially lose 1000+ recordings.

Thanks, but none of it is particularly important or precious to me or the family. It's just a bunch of stuff to maybe watch sometime, but it will all be on again no doubt!

So, to clarify, at the moment you can't see any particular cause for half the channels not being populated in the EPG? I guess then the next thing I'll do then is just re-download some of the TAPs and copy them across.

Could you suggest any EPG-related files that it would be good to delete, for a completely fresh start with the EPG?