Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Topfield 5810 hard drive swap

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
davem13
Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I recently started having some problems with my Topfield 5810 as it was approaching 2 years old. Firstly it wouldn't record with the timer settings, although it would still record live programmes fine. Then the hard drive occasionally wouldn't mount so that all my recordings became unavailable (hard drive greyed out). Leaving my Topfield unplugged for an hour or so revived it. I immediately backed up all my recording (which took days via USB as I don't have a computer I could pop the hard drive in). I then started reading through the Bugs forum and initially thought it must be the PSU/capacitors starting to fail. However, I eventually realised (after hours of reading) that the huge PSU thread is mainly for the Topfield 5800 and not for the 5810, so I had to look elsewhere for an answer.

In the meantime I asked Turbosat's advice and they said it sounded like a hardware problem and offered to have a look at my 5810 if I sent it in. Their minimum charge to check it would be 30 though plus 10 to return it to me, so it was going to cost me 50 or so plus the price of whatever parts were required. So I decided to continue reading through the forums and eventually came across posts that recommended a hard drive change. This made sense as the hard drive seemed to be the problem so I thought I'd take the chance and buy a new drive.

There is another huge thread discussing hard drives that have been fitted successfully so I opted for the Samsung HD154UI EcoGreen F2 1.5TB drive. I was tempted by the Samsung HD203WI EcoGreen F3 2 TB drive but it was quite a bit more expensive (90) and so far no one has reported that it'll work in the 5810, so I played safe. Anyway, the HD154UI has three times the capacity of my original drive. The Samsung drive uses different connectors to the original:

Full-size photo

I thought I'd post some photos of the process as I couldn't find any when researching my problem. The parts I ordered from CPC were:

CS15847 NEWLINK - NL-SATADUALADAT - SATA TO IDE ADAPTOR

Full-size photo

CS18806 CDL-414 - LEAD, SATA, POWER, SINGLE, 0.2M

Full-size photo

My order value was more than 45 excluding VAT so postage was free. The Newlink adapter package contains three parts, the adapter itself, a SATA cable and an intermediate lead:

Full-size photo

The supplied SATA cable (red) is about 64 cm long. Some people prefer a shorter cable to improve the airflow and cooling, but I'm just using the cable provided.

Unplug your Topfield and allow to cool. I was surprised at how hot my old drive was, although I think this is the reason for the fault. The new drive should run cooler. Earth yourself before touching any of the electronic parts of your Topfield to short out any static charge you might have. Unplug the power cable (at the rear) and IDE cable (on the right) from the old hard drive. Then remove the four screws holding the drive carrier to the body of the 5810 (2 at the front and 2 at the rear).

Full-size photo

Full-size photo

Try not to touch any other parts as they may contain residual charge. Lift the drive and carrier clear. Remove the four screws holding the old drive to the carrier and then attach the new drive to the carrier, with the same orientation. Bend the Topfield power cable over to the right. It's easier then to connect the new cables rather than having it routed under the drive and exiting to the rear as previously. Remove the old IDE lead from the motherboard.

Full-size photo

Attach the carrier with new drive using the same four screws. Connect the SATA power lead and SATA cable to the rear of the new drive. They can only connect one way. Connect the SATA power lead to the intermediate lead supplied with the adapter. The other end of the intermediate lead has a small 2-pin plug that connects to the adapter. Connect the other end of the SATA cable to the adapter.

Full-size photo

You'll need to drill a small hole in the IDE end of the adapter as the motherboard has 20 pins and the adapter only has 19 sockets, with one blanked off.

Full-size photo

I used a Dremel drill with 1.19 mm bit. You'll then be able to plug the adapter into the motherboard and the intermediate lead to the Topfield power cable on the right hand side of the drive. Make sure the adapter is set to Host rather than Device. Arrange the cables in the best way you can and replace the cover on your Topfield.

Full-size photo

Connect your Topfield to the mains, antenna and TV and switch it on. If all is well, you'll get a message saying that the hard drive needs to be formatted. Select OK and the process finishes in 30 seconds or so. That's it.

I tried a timer recording and it worked fine, so hopefully this should cure my problems. Now I just need to copy all my recordings onto the new drive.

Last edited by davem13 on Thu May 13, 2010 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Darucla
Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1535
Although, Topfield has a two year warranty (as does everything else in the UK implicitly), so the hard drive should have been replaced for free.

juwlz
Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:11 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10790 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
davem13 wrote:
I recently started having some problems with my Topfield 5810 as it was approaching 2 years old. ...
Quote:
In the meantime I asked Turbosat's advice and they said it sounded like a hardware problem and offered to have a look at my 5810 if I sent it in. Their minimum charge to check it would be 30 though plus 10 to return it to me, so it was going to cost me 50 or so plus the price of whatever parts were required.
Except, of course, that as it was UNDER 2 years old, it was still under warranty. Too late for you, of course, but other people in the same position should know.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
misterp
Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jan 2006 Posts: 402 Location: Hull
Wll that 1.5 tb Hard Disk work in a 5800? it would be nice to have six times the amount of space!

Steve

mstombs
Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 936
misterp wrote:
Wll that 1.5 tb Hard Disk work in a 5800? it would be nice to have six times the amount of space!

Steve

Yes, that's what I have with dealextreme adaptor and short bit of new 80 way round cable.

?
fishmanpete
Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:44 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 02 Nov 2008 Posts: 65
thanks, dave for the nice post with pictures and links to parts for others.

i had a similar situation with my 5810 crapping out after the 1 year store warranty but before the 2 year topfield warranty. turbosat eventually agreed to take a look but would cost me around 30 quid at least they said...
stuchel
Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:10 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Mar 2010 Posts: 138 Location: Nottingham
fishmanpete wrote:
turbosat eventually agreed to take a look but would cost me around 30 quid at least they said...

How can turbosat charge for service of an item that is clearly still under warranty?? Ive read somewhere on the forum good things about turbosats after sales service... Is it just a case of "Depends who you speak to"??

BTW thanks for the post with links and pics Dave..... I'll keep that in mind after my 2 years runs out.. Wink

Last edited by stuchel on Sun May 16, 2010 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Stuchel

TF5810, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; EIT Sub v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; MyInfo B5.5; Font Manager 1.0d; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; Extend v1.7; MyStuff 6.3; MHEG On/Off A3; (FastScanGUI v0.6d);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 30/3/11
jumbo
Posted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
stuchel wrote:
fishmanpete wrote:
turbosat eventually agreed to take a look but would cost me around 30 quid at least they said...

How can turbosat charge for service of an item that is clearly still under warranty?? Ive read somewhere on the forum good things about turbosats after sales service... Is it just a case of "Depende who you speak to"?? Wink
Unscrupulous retailers can do what they like! Unfortunately it is up to the consumers to exercise their rights under the law and put a stop to illegal practice. That takes education, knowledge, perseverance and, sometimes, luck.
leyton
Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote
[quote="davem13"]I recently started having some problems with my Topfield 5810 as it was approaching 2 years old......

Hi Dave,

Firstly thanks for the effort you have put into this great guide!

I too am experiencing the same problems with my 5810, unable to access the hard drive, unable to pause, rewind or record.
I searched high and low for a guide like this on lots different forums but found nothing only the PSU issue for the 5800, so thanks again for this as I nearly had my soldering iron out Crying or Very sad

After reading this I have decided to get my hard drive swapped out and will keep you posted on the results!! Fingers crossed.

How's your 5810 running now with the extra capacity?

Thanks,

Leyton.
jumbo
Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:51 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
Don't pack your soldering iron away too soon: Having read the PSU related issues of the 5800 you will no doubt have understood the consequences of a faulty PSU, namely, hard drive related problems such as those you have experienced! Changing the drive to a less power hungry ("green") one only serves to mask the underlying problem (which of course will in due course zap the rest of the motherboard and/or new drive) that has also affected an increasing number of 5810s in recent times.
leyton
Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Hi Dave,

I have still not managed to get my hard drive swapped, is yours still working well?

Jumbo, do you know where I can get a nice guide (w/ pics) for swapping out the PSU for a 5810?

Thanks,
Pichel
Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 20 Nov 2005 Posts: 27
All,

Just ordered a cut-price (79), HD-less TF 5810 to replace my dead TF 5800 (4 yrs old). I've read the various threads on here and I understand that I can throw a SATA HD at it and have up to 2TB of storage.

To be honest, a max of 320GB is absolutely sufficient for me. I also don't want the hassle of buying adaptors and drilling a hole. I just want an easy way to get a disk installed. Therefore I think an old-skool IDE/PATA is the way forward for me . I also reckon that it saves me about 10-20, which is better than a slap in the face.

Can anyone let me know which 320-500GB models are recommended? Most HDs in the famous HD thread are either for 5800 upgrades and/or they're SATA. I know WD's WD1600AAJB works, but I'd like to go a little larger. Like this one, for example (WD3200AAJB):
http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=WD3200AAJB&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=8872260906907493675&ei=4OspTNxpxaGxBtSemcQE&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDEQ8wIwAg#

If someone would be kind enough to let me know.

Thank You!

P
Andy K
Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jun 2005 Posts: 3513
Although I am a believer in the trouble free usage of IDE drives, you won't save yourself 10-20 because IDE drives are more expensive and more difficult to get hold of.

Why don't you use the HDD out your old toppy? and a cooling fan.
Pichel
Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 20 Nov 2005 Posts: 27
Hi Andy,

Thanks for getting back.

That's what I've tried. Even though I thought my old 5800's Samsung 160GB HD had died it works away nicely in the 5810. So all fine now.

Do I need the fan? I've spoken to Turbosat about it and they never mentioned that it needs one. Don't the original 5810 come with an IDE drive and without fan?

I might keep an eye on temperature over the next few days just to be sure.

P

Andy K
Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jun 2005 Posts: 3513
Well yes but the trouble is the 5810 lacks vents above the HDD, so you would be wise to fit a fan if you want trouble free ownership.