Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  Can't see the trees for the woods

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Bizman
Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:56 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1707
Nuuk wrote:
I will dig out an old PC running XP, and use Top Tools.
If you mean 'Topfield Tools' they could well be out of date by now, that's if the website is still active.
Instead of making life difficult for yourself, just follow the advice you are given.

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
Nuuk
Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:26 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 20 Apr 2010 Posts: 53
Bizman wrote:
Nuuk wrote:
I will dig out an old PC running XP, and use Top Tools.
If you mean 'Topfield Tools' they could well be out of date by now, that's if the website is still active.
Instead of making life difficult for yourself, just follow the advice you are given.

Have you actually tried any of this?

I've downloaded the z4t.exe.

I've found the page where I can download Antares.

That says I must download and install some Microsoft stuff first. I go to the link given, and am told that the page I requested cannot be found.

If Top Tools no longer works, then why are they suggested as part of the installation process for MyStuff?

I'm not trying to be awkward, but what should be a simple set of instructions for updating MyStuff is a game of Internet hide and seek, broken links, conflicting advice, and loooooong threads.

juwlz
Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:00 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
The problem is that it's not simple in the first place. The Toppy is (in electronic terms) ancient hardware, and it was never particularly easy to get it talking to a PC even when it was new. Various Windows updates have made that process more and more difficult over the years. However it is possible.

There are two steps to updating MyStuff:
1. get your PC talking to your Toppy
2. install/update MyStuff.

Get your PC talking to your Toppy
First, you need to get your PC to be able to talk to your Toppy. On a Windows 10 machine, that means jumping though some hoops and using Z4T to install the correct drivers for your PC to be able to talk to the Toppy at all.

Others can best help you with that, or you could read through the links provided in this thread about Z4T.

Install/Update MyStuff
This is the easy bit. Download the installer from BodD's MyStuff website, and run it. But don't try until you've completed step 1.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Nuuk
Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:18 pm Reply with quote
juwlz wrote:
The problem is that it's not simple in the first place. The Toppy is (in electronic terms) ancient hardware, and it was never particularly easy to get it talking to a PC even when it was new. Various Windows updates have made that process more and more difficult over the years. However it is possible.

There are two steps to updating MyStuff:
1. get your PC talking to your Toppy
2. install/update MyStuff.

Get your PC talking to your Toppy
First, you need to get your PC to be able to talk to your Toppy. On a Windows 10 machine, that means jumping though some hoops and using Z4T to install the correct drivers for your PC to be able to talk to the Toppy at all.

Others can best help you with that, or you could read through the links provided in this thread about Z4T.

Install/Update MyStuff
This is the easy bit. Download the installer from BodD's MyStuff website, and run it. But don't try until you've completed step 1.

Julie

Thanks Julie.

I have now successfully installed the z4t driver. What is confusing me now is that according to the Mystuff instructions I should run the downloaded file "Download, unzip and double click on 'Setup.exe'" to update MyStuff, so where does Antares come into things (ie do I need it to update Mystuff)?

I am documenting all steps and instructions including URLs in the hope that it will be of help to anybody else who has to go through all this.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4559
You don't need Antares to install MyStuff; you only need it if you want to access the toppy file system from the Win10 pc (it is equivalent, but much nicer, to the Altair program that Topfield proviided).

I suggest you install it anyway - you will probably want to use it in the future.

You might also like to install my TopManager program as well.
This has many features which can help you manage the toppy (including easy way to display the MyInfo Log data/use it to set up a forum signature)
it would be a good idea, once you have MyStuff installed, to post your MyInfo Log for comments.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
Nuuk
Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Geoff. I have apparently now updated Mystuff.

I will install TopManager next.

And here is what would have made this all a lot easier.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Updating Mystuff to a newer version

This is for using a 64 bit operating system (eg Windows 10) to do the update.

You will need to download (and unzip where necessary) the following:

z4t.exe from link on http://www.haselgrove.id.au/antares/z4t.html

Latest version of Mystuff from http://www.bobdsmystuff.co.uk/

(Put these in a single folder to keep it all together)

Now follow these instructions to install the z4T driver to the Topfield PVR (5800)

Connect your computer to the Topfield PVR using a USB cable.

Windows 10 enforces driver signatures by default. This must be disabled to install drivers that are not digitally signed. Use the following steps to disable driver signature enforcement.

Click the Start Start menu and select Settings.
Click Update and Security.
Click on Recovery.
Click Restart now under Advanced Startup.
Click Troubleshoot.
Click Advanced options.
Click Startup Settings.
Click on Restart.
On the Startup Settings screen press 7 or F7 to disable driver signature enforcement.

Your computer will restart and you will be able to install non-digitally signed drivers. If you restart your computer again the driver signature enforcement will be re-enabled.

Double click on z4t.exe and when asked, select INSTALL THIS DRIVER ANYWAY.

When z4t driver is installed successfully, double click on 'set-up.exe' in the Mystuff folder., and follow the instructions/prompts on your TV screen,

To install other utilities for a Topfield PVR, or skins etc, it is a good idea to install Antares on your computer.

Download Antares from link on http://www.haselgrove.id.au/antares/index.html

You must also have the following on the computer running Antares:

Microsoft Visual C++ from http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=29

Microsoft NET framework 3.5. from http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=22

First install the Microsoft Visual C++ and .NET software (needed to run Antares). Then install Antares.

Nuuk
Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Geoff Bacon wrote:

You might also like to install my TopManager program as well.
This has many features which can help you manage the toppy (including easy way to display the MyInfo Log data/use it to set up a forum signature)
it would be a good idea, once you have MyStuff installed, to post your MyInfo Log for comments.

Geoff

I am being warned that setupTopManager5.0.0.0.zip is unsafe to download, and has been blocked by SmartScreen Filter. Presumably, I can ignore that?

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Yes you can ignore that warning - the download hasn't been updated for some time and many members have used it.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Nuuk
Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Geoff Bacon wrote:
Yes you can ignore that warning - the download hasn't been updated for some time and many members have used it.

Geoff

Well, I found out how to turn of the SmartScreen filter, but whenever I try to download TopManager, I am told that Windows has removed some malware, and I am left with only a partial download. It says that it contains a trojan.

I think that I will stick with having updated Mystuff, at least for now.

Thanks for all the tips, and I hope that my list of instructions may prove helpful to others.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Your virus scanner is giving you a false positive as the download doesn't contain a Trojan.

You can probably install it by turning off the security, installing the program and then immediately re-enabling the security.

I expect you don't want to do this so suggest that you just use Antares to copy \ProgramFiles\Logs\MyInfo Log.txt from the toppy to the pc and pasting it into this thread.

Geoff

Nuuk
Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:51 am Reply with quote
[quote="Geoff Bacon"]Your virus scanner is giving you a false positive as the download doesn't contain a Trojan.

You can probably install it by turning off the security, installing the program and then immediately re-enabling the security.

I expect you don't want to do this so suggest that you just use Antares to copy \ProgramFiles\Logs\MyInfo Log.txt from the toppy to the pc and pasting it into this thread.

Geoff[/quote

Done.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:11 pm Reply with quote
@Nuuk
I'm taking it from your post (it has a missing ] at the end of the quote) that you did install TopManager (on the basis that I can't see a post with your MyInfo Log anywhere and that you have an up-to-date signature)

Using TopManager
1) Use Connection| Settings to create a connection record (call it Toppy say), you probably want a "USB connection").
Should you have more than one toppy, please use a different connection record for each one - even if you connect via the same cable and USB port.
2) Connection| Open
3) Display| MyInfo Log
4) Ctrl A (to select the information in the lower pane)
5) Ctrl C (to copy the selection)
6) add to this thread and Ctrl V (to paste). Note: No need to use the site Quote mechanism.

Ideally, could you (re)use the "Tools| Update Forum Profile" option to create a forum signature using the information contained in MyInfo Log?. If you select the "Use TM Flag", it adds a small TM symbol to the signature and this is useful to me in showing that you have TopManager (helps me when giving advice). Don't worry about it if you can't be bothered!

Geoff
Note: Edits shown in red

Last edited by Geoff Bacon on Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:30 pm; edited 2 times in total

ccs
Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2658
He has updated his signature (not with topmanager).

ccsx
Nuuk
Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I used Antares.

juwlz
Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:04 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
@Nuuk The signature is fine for abbreviated info, but a post containing the full contents of the log file would be more useful.

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012