Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Picture Breakup

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
grandpabob
Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 27 Oct 2006 Posts: 112
My 5800 toppy which is 9 years old and has been in constancy use recording at least a couple of programs every day. The psu was updated in March 2012.
Recently we have been experiencing picture breakup on recordings also a slight deterioration of picture quality.
Could this mean that the hard disc is wearing out?

Sig generated by MyInfo on 23/7/16
leshay
Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2005 Posts: 383
grandpabob wrote:
My 5800 toppy which is 9 years old and has been in constancy use recording at least a couple of programs every day. The psu was updated in March 2012.
Recently we have been experiencing picture breakup on recordings also a slight deterioration of picture quality.

Hi
I had an identical problem (quite a while ago now), and it was because some trees a little bit away from my house had grown over the years and were causing the issues. They must have been just short of interfering when I installed the aerial and slowly encroached. Unlikely it is your problem, but you never know Smile

ccs
Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2582
grandpabob wrote:
Is live tv breaking up, as poor signal quality is the likely problem.

ccsx
grandpabob
Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Perfect picture on TV only happens on recordings,

albertd
Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:39 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jul 2010 Posts: 570
grandpabob wrote:
But what about live TV viewed using the Toppy's tuners?

Also, when the PSU was done, how many capacitors were changed? The thinking changed a while back on the number that need to be done - I forget the details, but others here will know.

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:20 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4384
Please run my fsCheck tap and post the output in the dedicated fsCheck Reports thread (not this one). Note: use the ARCHIVE key to exit the tap (this saves the report to disk).

The tap should be in should be in \ProgramFiles\Utilities\ if you are using MS 6.6 (your signature has not been updated from 2011 and says you are on MS 6.4) . Suggest you use TopManager to load the tap (if necessary), update your signature and retrieve the fsCheck report.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
grandpabob
Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:30 am Reply with quote
albertd wrote:
grandpabob wrote:

Also, when the PSU was done, how many capacitors were changed? The thinking changed a while back on the number that need to be done - I forget the details, but others here will know.

Live TV OK using toppy tuners.
PSU was update by Andy Fraser.

alan_m
Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:08 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3492
grandpabob wrote:
albertd wrote:
grandpabob wrote:

Live TV OK using toppy tuners.
PSU was update by Andy Fraser.

Have you got interactive services enabled? This can lead to a gradual slow down of your box and could result in the symptoms you are seeing, but usually accompanied by other indicators such as tardy changing of channels and sometime a lack of response to the remote.

Is you hard disk nearly full?

Try a cold boot by turning off at the mains for a couple of minutes (to let internal voltages to discharge) and then turning on again - this will give your box a cold boot.

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
The reason I asked for the fsCheck report is that it gives an indication of the health of the disk.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
andyfras
Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:43 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3452
It would also be worth running Signal Monitor in case one tuner is failing. This could explain why viewing via the Toppy is OK, but recordings are affected.

It's also worth checking the aerial connections including the short link cable. I was getting some signal issues recently, which I eventually traced to the connections on the back of the Toppy. A slight twist on each connector restored full signal quality.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
grandpabob
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:25 am Reply with quote
This morning on the same toppy another problem,I cannot accesses the archive.
I have try a cold boot still no archive, I try a start holding down the 0 button to stop my stuff loading still no archive.
I am complete stuck I cannot access any taps to do a fs check.

juwlz
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:53 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
grandpabob wrote:
This morning on the same toppy another problem,I cannot accesses the archive.
I have try a cold boot still no archive, I try a start holding down the 0 button to stop my stuff loading still no archive.
That strongly suggests that the Toppy can't access the hard drive at all (i.e. the drive is dead, if Andy's done that full works with the capacitors).

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Try powering off the toppy at the wall for 2 minutes to give the capacitors time to discharge.

When it reboots, use the remote
1) MENU
2) select Installation
3) Look to see whether or not the "Format Hard Disk" option is greyed (don't select it!)
4) Exit

If the Format Hard Disk option is "greyed", this means that the toppy can't see the disk at all - either it has failed or possibly, the disk cables have worked loose.

If it is not "greyed" then it may be sick or, if you are "lucky", the file system is just corrupted (which I can help with)

To me, breakup of the picture probably implies a dying disk or loose cables rather than corruption.

Geoff

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:59 am Reply with quote
What did you do to get the disk working again?

Your fsCheck report shows that the is disk controller is not reporting any errors when accessing the disk i.e. the disk is probably fine (although andyfras has occasionally seen disks that cause errors even though the hardware looks fine).

Do you have more than one toppy?
If so, you can swap the disks between the two toppies and see if the problems moves with the disk.
If it does then this implies that it is disk related (and it needs replacing); if it doesn't move then this implies it is toppy related (contact andyfras).

When testing, always use the same problem recording(this ensures that you are comparing like with like).

It is possible for the affected recordings contain the issue (caused by poor signal?). Does your TV see the signal before the toppy? Typically, you want the aerial from the wall into the top connector on the toppy (nearest the edge), the short loop through goes from the bottom connector (nearest the edge) to the other top connector, and the Toppy feeds the TV from the remaining bottom socket.

Assuming that the cables are connected as above try recording programs while you watch them. Then watch the recording to see if there are any issues not present when watching live (obviously, you can only do this if it occurs frequently).

You could use TopManager to post your TV signals:-
1) Tools| Install Files| PcControl.
2) Reboot Toppy
3) PcControl| Show Menus
4) PcControl| Measure Signals
Select both tuners, all muxes, 10 seconds and "Measure"
5) Right click in table and "Copy table as padded text"
6) Add to this thread and CtrlV to paste.

It might also be worth checking the toppy settings as the display settings can cause flickers:-
7) PcControl| System Settings
Anything in red needs to be corrected (I think I display unusual/incorrect values in red)
(paste the results - as 5/6 above)

Finalyy, has anything else changed in your setup since it last worked properly e.g. a new TV

Geoff

grandpabob
Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:43 am Reply with quote
[/quote
What did you do to get the disk working again?
I did a long cold boot about 2 hours
I swap the disk to my other toppy and the breakup moved with the disk.
I swap the disk for one which I had in a troublesome 5810 toppy which was so unreliable that I had given up on it, I was able to get it working with the native epg able to do a recording,every thing seemed ok but I was unable to load my Mystuff, I did a factory reset, I reformatted the disk, it still failed to load ,I try to load from topmanager still no good.
Any ideas?