Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  Option L1 - Number of days to search

Page 1 of 1
CharlieBoy
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 04 Mar 2006 Posts: 138
Following the demise of rt2mei and as2mei some of us are now using xml2mei (see http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21036&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 ). One quirk of this is that the Toppy's EPG now has data to the end of day 15 (ie. as of the morning of Wednesday 22nd June, data is there to midnight on Wednesday 6th July). However, the maximum MyStuff search is only 14 days. Seemingly this works as 14x24 hrs from the time of search - because as the day progresses MyStuff progressively "finds" programmes that are in the EPG for day 15.

Would it be possible to tweak MyStuff to increase the maximum search set by Option L1 from 14 days to 15 days?

Thanks.
Charlie

?
mstombs
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 938
Despite having a 14 day RT epg in the past I have always used 3 or 5 days search window - for speed of Search and to avoid having too many timers set - also allows for later changes I thought. I also think MyStuff can do better things with the broadcast epg containing the CRID series link info. I'm interested why do you want to set timers so far out? One reason maybe is to check timers set if you are going away for a couple of weeks?
juwlz
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
I'd be asking the same question - what do you want to gain, in practical terms?

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
CharlieBoy
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
mstombs wrote:
One reason maybe is to check timers set if you are going away for a couple of weeks?
That certainly. Also perhaps just a question of a habit I've been in of only doing a once-a-week review of the schedules and check of the Toppy timers. If only looking/checking for 7 days ahead then being a day or two late in undertaking the next review can result in missed recordings (ie. no search set). So I prefer to review schedules/create searches for 2 weeks ahead even when I'm not going on holiday.

Being able to search for 15 days ahead instead of 14 won't make any real difference of course - but if the data is there why not...

?
CharlieBoy
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
juwlz wrote:
I'd be asking the same question - what do you want to gain, in practical terms?
Theoretical gain: A typical 2-week holiday abroad means being away from home for 15 days (eg. Saturday to Saturday inclusive). The current ability to search 14 days data means that checking timers/searches on the Friday before departure leaves the final Friday and Saturday exposed. Extending the search to 15 days (if the data is there, which it seemingly is) would reduce the exposure to 1 day. Conceptually a 16 day search would be better - but only if the data were there (which at the moment it isn't).

Practical gain: Probably none. Even if MyStuff isn't searching all the day-15 data, one can still review it and set manual timers.

My personal preference (and that's all it is), would be for MyStuff to search all the available data. I assume that the L1 option selected is recorded in MyStuff.dat. The format of this file is such that I can't simply use a text editor to change the setting from 14 to 15 - hence my request. However, I'm not a programmer so I have no idea whether the request would mean spending a few seconds altering one character in the MyStuff code (from 14 to 15) or whether it would mean hours of recoding. Hence my wording "would it be possible...?" - a few seconds might be "possible", hours wouldn't.

Charlie

?
juwlz
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:15 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
My GUESS is that the coding change would probably be fairly minimal - in comparison with the faffing about updating the version that's available on the download site (although that's assuming that BobD has all the necessary compilers and tools installed on whatever computer he's using these days - it's a long time since there were any MyStuff updates; if he hasn't it'll be a long job installing it all for the sake of potentially a one character change Shocked). And I'm not sure what's involved from the installer side of things.

But it is only a guess.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
CharlieBoy
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't thinking so much of a new release version for the installer - more of a one-off beta version MyStuff.tap file that could be overwritten onto the Toppy. I seem to recall trialing one or two beta versions like that some years ago.

I certainly wouldn't ask BobD to put in any significant time/effort for possibly only one user.

Charlie

EDIT - I hadn't realised it's nearly two years since MyStuff was last updated. Shows what a good bit of software it is! So I wouldn't be at all surprised if BobD has "moved on" so to speak.

?
leshay
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2005 Posts: 383
CharlieBoy wrote:

.... So I wouldn't be at all surprised if BobD has "moved on" so to speak.

I just wish that it was to port MyStuff onto Enigma2 boxes Smile

BobD
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:22 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 03 Aug 2005 Posts: 4218
I'm still here Smile

Not done much work on MyStuff for a very long time, although my internal build version does contain a few changes from the current release.

It is hard to get up the enthusiasm to make changes and add new features these days. The increase of HDTV (and the lack of support for that on the Toppy), and the rise of Watch On Demand services means that I think the target audience is decreasing. Certainly there seems to be less demand these days (this being the first feature request I have read for a very long time).

I still use my Toppy daily, and as my main recording device. I have a YouView box too, but I only use that when I need to record something when I am away from home and can send the record command via the phone app.

But I just can't see the need for more updates to MyStuff (certainly not compared to the effort they would require in writing, testing & releasing). It already does everything that I personally need/want it to do.

There still doesn't seem to be an obvious replacement box for the Toppy either, so there is no platform to work on for a new version. Not that I would have the time these days. I shudder when I think of how many hours I used to spend coding on MyStuff. I have no idea where I would find those hours these days.

So, anyway, option L1. The only logic to limiting this value was that there were no sources with more than 14 days data. Using smaller values does dramatically decrease the Search time (especially if clashes would otherwise arise), and having a boundary on a multiple of 7 does just seem quite nice.

It would be very easy indeed to compile up a new version with 15 as the limit, but this would be in an internal build that contains changes (I'm sure I have a list of what they are somewhere!) that have never been tested in the wild (although I have- I think anyway - been running that build for a long time). I do still have a laptop with the compiler etc, though I haven't tried it recently.

I really can't see any benefit at all from an extra day of searching (certainly not compared to the downside of running a practically totally untested version of MyStuff (except for my own use)). However, if you are really that keen then I can try to compile a new build for you.

PM me your contact details if you are interested, but do please consider the fact that it would be an untested build, and if it all goes wrong then I will not have the incentive to investigate and debug as I would with a properly released build.

MyStuff skins, manual and latest version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk
Known bugs & forthcoming fixes: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/Bugs.shtml
Changes coming in the next version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/NextVersion.shtml
CharlieBoy
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote
BobD wrote:
I really can't see any benefit at all from an extra day of searching (certainly not compared to the downside of running a practically totally untested version of MyStuff (except for my own use)). However, if you are really that keen then I can try to compile a new build for you.

PM me your contact details if you are interested, but do please consider the fact that it would be an untested build, and if it all goes wrong then I will not have the incentive to investigate and debug as I would with a properly released build.
Bob - Thank you very much for offering. But unless others come along with the same request (which I suspect is unlikely) then I won't put you to the trouble of trying to run a compiler that you haven't used in a while. I have no idea how long it might take, but I'm sure you have better things to do. I also take your point about an untested build. Although I assume I could always revert to the current version, just one missed recording due to something unexpected would be more of a PITA.

And thank you for having made MyStuff available in the first place. Without it I doubt I'd still be using my Toppies.

Charlie

?
BobD
Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:27 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 03 Aug 2005 Posts: 4218
CharlieBoy wrote:
And thank you for having made MyStuff available in the first place. Without it I doubt I'd still be using my Toppies.

My pleasure. I've had a lot of fun (and a lot of pain!) working on MyStuff over the years. Occasionally I have need to run a Toppy without MyStuff (mainly when the development build of the time kept crashing) and using a Toppy with the default interface sucks big time. Looks horrible. Acts horrible. Such a relief when I go back to a working build again.

Having started MyStuff just to improve my own experience (and as a hobby to keep my brain ticking over) it has been very pleasing to see it so widely adopted.

MyStuff skins, manual and latest version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk
Known bugs & forthcoming fixes: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/Bugs.shtml
Changes coming in the next version: http://www.BobDsMyStuff.co.uk/NextVersion.shtml
Darucla
Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1544
It is impossible to overstate BobD's contribution. Most people currently designing PVR interfaces have not yet begun to ask the right questions about what it should do. BobD not only asked the right questions, he gave us the implemented answers too.

Which is why someone from a currently operating company should pay him a sizeable retainer just to ask him questions.
jimi
Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:55 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Mar 2006 Posts: 238
Darucla wrote:
It is impossible to overstate BobD's contribution. Most people currently designing PVR interfaces have not yet begun to ask the right questions about what it should do. BobD not only asked the right questions, he gave us the implemented answers too.

Which is why someone from a currently operating company should pay him a sizeable retainer just to ask him questions.

I totally agree, I also can't understand why one of the companies (or Topfield for that matter) currently producing PVRs hasn't looked at what a 10 year old machine running MS can do and said let's start from here ? instead of doing a poor job of reinventing the wheel Confused

meadfoot
Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 19 Jul 2005 Posts: 261
jimi wrote:
... I also can't understand why one of the companies (or Topfield for that matter) currently producing PVRs hasn't looked at what a 10 year old machine running MS can do and said let's start from here ? instead of doing a poor job of reinventing the wheel Confused

Because ( I think) all the companies producing PVRs are based in the Far East and haven't got a clue as to what MS is about or even exists.

Sig generated by MyInfo on 2/7/13

'I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand' Confucius
jimi
Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Mar 2006 Posts: 238
IMO 20 years ago maybe, but nowadays with T'internet I'm sure they are well aware it exists and what it does, after all giving the Toppy the ability to run TAPS and making the Toppy API freely available was a smart way of getting free debugging and development work done Wink