Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Moving to a new transmitter area

Page 1 of 1
anthony2l
Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Apr 2011 Posts: 234
This isn't something I do often but it fills me with dread as I I recall that the process of restarting the Toppy (with MyStuff) causes hanging, error messages and the like.

What is the correct way to prepare a Toppy before moving and then at the new site?

Thanks.

Caps 31/07/13; Turbosat 500Gb SATA
ccs
Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2586
Boot tapless (hold down the zero key on the remote) the first time you switch on.

I would then delete all timers using the native interface, and then run Channel Organiser, and set it to tune to the new transmitter.
Get rid of all unwanted tv and radio channels as well using CO.

Then reboot and wait 30 minutes until the epg is fully populated and MyStuff has re-created your timers.

(You could stop MyStuff and then delete all timers just before you switch off for the last time at your old location. This will prevent any timers starting up at your new location when you first switch on.)

Last edited by ccs on Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

ccsx
Valiant
Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 19 May 2008 Posts: 296
Prior to move I would archive any recodrings I wished to keep and backup the ProgramFiles directory. Look up your new postcode on http://www.wolfbane.net/cgi-bin/tvd.exe? and make a note of the new channel numbers. Make sure that the Channel Organiser tap is installed.

After move switch on the Toppy whilst pressing 0 on the remote to disable Taps, then go into the native menu and delete all timers. From the native files menu, run Channel Organiser tap and selecting new scan, search the list for your new local transmitter and confirm the channel numbers noted down. Let CO do its job and close down and restart the Toppy. Mystuff will recreate your timers and Bob's yer uncle.

That's what I would do.

I notice that you use Top Manager - I expect there is something similar there to do with rescanning a new transmitter - have a look.

Having said all that, I have just recently moved to Truro. The aerial is pointing at the local transmitter Truro Light whch has about a dozen TV channels, so using the existing satellite dish I have installed a Miracle Box TwinPlus which is working quite well.

anthony2l
Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Apr 2011 Posts: 234
It's the preventing MyStuff from loading that's likely to have been my problem.

I'll take the advice to stop it before I shut down. Thanks.

Caps 31/07/13; Turbosat 500Gb SATA
Valiant
Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 19 May 2008 Posts: 296
anthony2l wrote:
It's the preventing MyStuff from loading that's likely to have been my problem.

I'll take the advice to stop it before I shut down. Thanks.

If you switch on at your new location without halting taps I am not sure whether Mystuff will recreate the timers and cause you a problem. The real issue is with Channel Organiser and MyStuff conflicting. I think CO rewrites timers at the end of its run and if MyStuff is running it starts searching. This invariably causes a crash, thats why I always stop taps when using CO.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4415
Stopping taps before running CO shouldn't be necessary as CO will pause them while it works. If CO detects that MS is running, it doesn't bother adjusting any existing native timers; it just tells MS to sort them out when it restarts it (if MS was not running when CO started, CO does try to adjust the timers). Note: a scan, however performed, automatically deletes any existing native timers (I suppose there could possibly be an issue if you run CO and delete channels without performing a scan).

TopManager works in a similar way.

To summarize, stopping taps first shouldn't be necessary but does no harm.

One thing I'm not sure of is what happens if the toppy boots up in the new transmitter area and an existing timer attempts to record a mux (or channel) not available on the new transmitter.
To minimize the chance of such a problem, I suggest you :-
1) Shut down MS
2) delete all existing timers on the toppy
3) power off toppy

4) In new location, start the toppy tapless (hold 0 key until picture shows)
5) Rescan with CO
6) Reboot toppy and start normally.

Note: might be a good idea to put a copy of CO in \ProgramFiles\Auto Start before the move (but you would need to read the CO instructions for details). This would allow you access to CO if all the channels are inaccessible.

Finally, make sure that you are using CO B2.1 and have up-to-date FreeView.dat and the file that contains the list of tranmitters (can't remember but think it ends in .tsv)

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
Bizman
Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:38 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1707
Geoff Bacon wrote:
Finally, make sure that you are using CO B2.1 and have up-to-date FreeView.dat and the file that contains the list of tranmitters (can't remember but think it ends in .tsv)

Geoff
That will be FvTxData.tsv and it hasn't changed for some years.

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter