Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  5800 Refurb

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4404
R-Studio site says "Empowered by the new unique data recovery technologies, R-STUDIO is the most comprehensive data recovery solution for recovery files from NTFS, NTFS5, ReFS, FAT12/16/32, exFAT,..."

The Toppy is FAT24 i.e. not supported.

Don't spend too much time analysing (if you must) should you get it working as the disk will be liable to fail completely very quickly i.e there may only be a short window of opportunity. (Still, you have probably already mentally written off anything it contained).

Cheers
Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
trevor_learoyd
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:54 am Reply with quote
Thanks Geoff - you didn't read far enough: "NTFS, NTFS5, ReFS, FAT12/16/32, exFAT, HFS/HFS+ (Macintosh), Little and Big Endian variants of UFS1/UFS2 (FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD/Solaris) and Ext2/Ext3/Ext4 FS (Linux) partitions. It also uses raw file recovery (scan for known file types) for heavily damaged or unknown file systems" You can define your own data structures too.

This isn't my first rodeo! I've been using R-Studio or years to explore the arcane file systems used by various musical instrument and professional audio manufacturers -it's part of what I do for a living.

If I get stuck, I'd be very grateful for any help - and I appreciate everyone's efforts on my behalf.

This is the PATA/SATA interface that Andyfras is using, one of which he's sold to me: http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=269257#269257

Cheers
Trevor
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4404
Hi Trevor,

From my experience developing TDM, I can't see how one can easily reconstruct the data using a tool that isn't specifically designed for it (well at least without spending a great deal of time). Still, I don't have any experience of the product and it sounds as though you have in-depth knowledge.

In the unlikely event that the disk springs to life, please keep us all informed on how you get on - it might provide another method to recover data.

Cheers

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
trevor_learoyd
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:28 am Reply with quote
Just a quick update to say all is now well with my 5800. I installed all new electrolytics in the power supply and fitted a PATA/SATA interface with a WD Green 3.5" 500GB hard drive. All components were supplied by the redoubtable andyfras.

I have yet to dig into the old drive, but can state that the Seagate ST9250311CS I'd hoped to use doesn't work reliably - at least with the interface Andy supplied. I've posted that info also in the Disk upgrades section.

Many thanks to you all for your help - I would have still been struggling otherwise!

Cheers
Trevor