Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  5800 Refurb

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
juwlz
Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Start by using the MyStuff Recovery option to delete the EPG file.

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4357
I think you should just have been OK with all your channels (PruneEPG means that you can get away with more than before).

Do you have any recordings in the DataFiles folder or is it empty?

Assuming you have some recordinhs in DataFiels, do the following with TopManager
1) Connection| Browse
2) Position to DataFiles and press F2. Rename the entry e.g. to DataFilesOrig
3) Right Click in left pane and select New Folder
4) Select the newly created folder and use F2 to rename it to DataFiles.

Then try starting MyStuff.
If that works, the problem is with something in the original DataFiles; if it doesn't then the problem is in ProgramFiles or with the disk.

When you fitted the new disk, what sort of ribbon cable did you use? If it still has 3 sockets on it, some threads advise cutting off the outermost connector (get the correct end!) that is not being used (a full length cable can generate false signals).

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
trevor_learoyd
Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Julie - if I delete the EPG file it makes no difference. I think it's as soon as MyStuff tries to access the disk that it crashes.

Geoff - In TopManager/Connection/Browse, the top folder in the tree is Program Files and I can't see a way to navigate upwards. However I've done what you suggested in Antares but it's made no difference.

When I fitted the new disk, I used the ribbon cable that came with the PATA/SATA kit supplied by Andy Fraser which was clearly labelled. It only has the two connectors, one for the mainboard and one for the interface.

I ran Tools\Analyze\ProgramFiles and can send a screenshot of the result if the forum allows? Apparently there are some missing files.

Cheers
Trevor[/img]
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, brain fade. Obviously TM will only work on files in ProgramFiles because that is how I coded it.

I doubt that the missing files are the issue - please copy/paste the output form the Analyze command directly into into thread

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
trevor_learoyd
Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Geoff - here you go:

Analysing Data ...
<<< Missing file: \ProgramFiles\Settings\Logos\logos.lnk
<<< Missing file: \ProgramFiles\Settings\MyStuff\MyStuff.dat
<<< Missing file: \ProgramFiles\Settings\MyStuff\MyStuff_RecordedInfo.dat
<<< Missing file: \ProgramFiles\Settings\MyStuff\MyStuff_Searches.dat
<<< Missing file: DialogProfile.ini (recommended location \ProgramFiles\Settings\ )
<<< Missing file: \ProgramFiles\Settings\TAPCommander.ini
<<< Some files were not recognised
<<< Wrong folder: \ProgramFiles\MyStuff.tap - expected in folder \ProgramFiles\Auto Start
Analysis Complete
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:54 pm Reply with quote
You can ignore those; they are being flagged because you haven't run their associated tap (and the MyStuff ones because it didn't run properly).

After renaming DataFiles, did you reboot the toppy before starting MS? (Still, you have probably rebooted after MS crashed it)

When you set up the new disk, did you use TopfHDRW at all? This has issues copying files in \ProgramFiles and/or if used to format the disk.

Geoff

trevor_learoyd
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:57 am Reply with quote
Yes I rebooted after renaming DataFiles. I haven't used TopfHDRW, I just used Toppy's native format routine.

But the issue certainly feels like it's happening as soon as MyStuff accesses the disk. And, after a MyStuff crash, when I reboot while pressing the 0 key to prevent TAPs loading, Toppy does its "Verifying files and folders" routine, coming up with everything ok at the end.

Cheers
Trevor
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:49 am Reply with quote
Well that eliminates TopfHDRW so it implies that you likely to have one or more of the following:-

1) A disk issue (e.g. drive not compatible, or cables not seated)
2) Bad EPG file
3) Bad MyStuff data files

Do you still have your old disk (and is/was it working with MS prior to the disk upgrade)? If so, swap the disks and see if MS runs properly (it probably will). If it also causes crashes then perhaps something else is the cause (did you do the capacitors or did andyfras?)

You could try running the MyStuff 6.5 tap on the new disk (check old disk first if possible) to see if that also crashes:-
a) download the MyStuff 6.5 tap file to the pc, extract it, and rename MyStuff.tap to MyStuff65.tap
b) In TopManager, do a SnapShot| Take option (thsi preserves ProgramFiles on your pc - may as well do it now in case you need to recover something later - should take about 3 minutes to run)
c) TopManager Connection| Browse
d) In the explorer window containing MyStuff65.tap, Select the tap with the mouse, and holding the mouse button down, drag the OVER the TopManager button in the Windows Task Bar. Then release the mouse (this copies the file into the current folder - which should be \ProgramFiles)
e) Using the remote, press Archive, scroll to MyStuff65.tap and press OK.

If still having problems, try renaming \ProgramFiles\Settings\MyStuff to \ProgramFiles\Settings\MyStuffOld before running MyStuff; MyStuff will then recreate the directory when it runs (using rename so that anything contained in this directory can still be recovered).

Geoff

[edit]
Your first post indicates that you replaced the caps.
Did andyfras recommend the disk or did you choose it yourself?.
Did you consult the threads on upgrading the disk e.g. Juwzl's Replacing your Hard Drive.
What is the model number of the disk you used?
[/edit]

trevor_learoyd
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote
The old hard drive failed before I was able to copy anything I'm afraid.

I replaced the capacitors - it's something I do for a living. The drive I bought myself, but the adaptor and cable came from andyfras.

I did try MyStuff 6.5 but got the same result.

However your comment about reading the HDD replacement threads - which I did - triggered something. Andyfras recommended setting the jumpers for the lowest data rate and I'm not sure that I did. I need to check that.

Many thanks for your help,
Trevor
ccs
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:28 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2565
I would be tempted to delete (or rename) all files used by MyStuff, using Antares, and then reinstall MyStuff from scratch using the installer.

Renaming the directory Settings/MyStuff and ProgramFiles/EPG.* might be enough.

ccsx
trevor_learoyd
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Low data rate enforced - still the same result. I'm forced to the conclusion that this hard drive isn't going to work!

Time to find another...

Thanks everyone, for your efforts.

Cheers
Trevor
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I asked about the drive because 2.5" disks are unusual in a toppy although I think andyfras recently mentioned he was using one (was that an SSD drive?).

Your best bet is to buy something which someone else has confirmed will work. This is typically a 3.5" drive and has a 5400 RPM speed (you don't need faster for the toppy).

When you say the last disk failed, was this a hardware failure e.g. didn't spin up (or clicking) or was it just file system corruption ? (if the latter, I can probably get most of the files back for you).

Any chance you could post details about the adapter/cable andy recommended (I might get one).

From your description, it sounds as though you don't have anything of value on the drive so why not reformat it and give the MS installation a final go (just in case data wasn't properly written onto the disk before the enforcement of "low data rate"). If that doesn't work then looks like you do need another drive.

Geoff

trevor_learoyd
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for your advice Geoff, it's much appreciated. Andyfras has a good, tested drive that I've just ordered. He's been checking this thread, so maybe he can help you with the adapter details. I do know he's using a WD 2.5" drive, but I don't know which model.

My 2.5" drive is a Seagate ST9250311CS and I have formatted it a couple of times now with the low data rate setting but with no success - so it's been allocated another job!

The original disk, a 160GB Samsung SV16004E, failed completely - constant clicking. I have it on test here but no joy so far and the data extraction software I have (R-Studio, Spinrite etc) is no good on a drive that won't even read the boot sector, so the stuff that's on it is lost I'm afraid. I'll try the usual freeze/oven bake procedures but I don't hold out much hope.

I do thank you for your efforts, I'll report back when the drive arrives from Andy.

All the best,
Trevor
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
The disk is knackered if it is clicking.

Even if freezing/baking frees the drive, you are unlikely to get anywhere with the data extraction tools you mention (to my knowledge, only TopfHDRW and my TDM program understand the toppy file system; your tools could perhaps affect a physical copy of the disk but this would mean that the replacement disk would have the same usable capacity as the knackered one)

Geoff

trevor_learoyd
Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Ok, thanks for that. If I get the disk going again I'll have a play with R-Studio and see whether it lives up to expectations! http://www.r-studio.com If not, no doubt I'll be back in touch.

Cheers
Trevor