Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Setting up favourites

Page 1 of 1
nwhitfield
Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
You can create lists of favourites on your TF5800, so that when you skip through the channels, you don't see the ones you're not interested in.

Press Menu while you're viewing TV and create favourites lists using the option on that screen. You can create several lists, or simply use the ones that have been created for you.

When you have added channels to your favourites - which you can also do from the list of channels, by pressing the options button, here's how to select the list to use.

Press the Opt key on your remote; Favs should be highlighted in the menu that appears. Press OK, and you'll see a list of your Favourites groups. Choose the one you want to use, and press OK again. Now select a channel in the list, and press OK.

Now, when you use the P+ and P- buttons, your Toppy will display the name of the favourites list briefly in the top right corner of the screen, and you'll move through the channels in that favourites list.

You can still go to other channels, either by pressing the List button to see a complete list, or by typing a channel's number.

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:00 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 Apr 2005 Posts: 330
To re-order a favourites list (e.g. after adding a newly launched service to the list). On the Organizing Favorites screen (menu->Organiizing Favorites) select the Fav List, press the red button to move to the Fav Service panel. move the cursor to the channel you wish to reorder the press the green button, the selected channel is highlighted and can now be moved up or down to your preffered position in your favourites sequence.

This is an undocumented feature I found by accident.
thesaint
Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:39 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 Apr 2005 Posts: 366 Location: Darlington
Thanks to IanP for that undocumented moving and reorganising of the favourites list, dont forget to press the green key again after moving your channel to its correct position. This should be added in the firmware update so it appears at the bottom of the screen. Cool
RobbieC
Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:12 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 24 Apr 2005 Posts: 111 Location: Maidstone, Kent
I thought having a favorites list would be a good idea but I can't see that it adds much value. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are too many button pushes to bring up your favorites. I was hoping you could make your favorites list the active list and just display it by pushing the "LIST" button.
nwhitfield
Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:32 am Reply with quote
It is a bit of a hassle to display or select a favourites list (something you can tell Topfield how you feel about at http://www.toppy.org.uk/services/bug_info.php?bid=28 )

But once you have set one, you'll find that pressing P+ and P- moves through your favourites, which means I can skip all the channels I don't care about. Unfortunately it resets to all channels if you switch to radio, but I don't bother with the TV for radio stations very often.

Nigel.
IanP
Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:47 pm Reply with quote
thesaint wrote:
Thanks to IanP for that undocumented moving and reorganising of the favourites list, dont forget to press the green key again after moving your channel to its correct position. This should be added in the firmware update so it appears at the bottom of the screen. Cool

Whoops. I was get a bit blurry eyed when I posted those instructions I meant to say press the OK button to confirm the move. So the green button also confirms the move. And the yellow button removes a service from the list (like pressing OK normally does). The blue button doesn't seem to do anything.

These details should also be included in a revision of the manual (which is pretty appalling at present. WARNING - please do not insert metal or alien substances in the slots for modules and cards) Shocked
Darkmatter
Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 21 Mar 2005 Posts: 1237
Talking about favourite extracts from the manual, mine is ?Locate the PVR indoor place properly to prevent lightening?? --- I kind of like lightening.
thesaint
Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Yes the manual needs to be completely rewritten once the bugs have been sorted out and firmware upgraded, it needs someone who has a better command of the english language though.
while we are on the subject can anyone think of a way to cut out those adverts automatically whilst recording, or is this **** in the wind. Cool
matt
Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
thesaint wrote:
while we are on the subject can anyone think of a way to cut out those adverts automatically whilst recording

As far as I am aware no PVR can do this.

matt
sgtwilko
Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Mar 2005 Posts: 117
matt wrote:
thesaint wrote:
while we are on the subject can anyone think of a way to cut out those adverts automatically whilst recording

As far as I am aware no PVR can do this.

No current PVR can do this, BUT, mythTV Can do this. mythTV is a MediaCenter replacment. It has all the PVR features that you would expect and a few more. For example you can record on a box in your loft and view on any networked computer. DTT cards are supported up to the number you can fit in your PC (5 tuners anyone). But it is difficult to setup and would end up costing you more than a Toppy (why I haven't gone down that route).

Anyway...
Apparently before and after adverts there is one or two black frames that can be used to strip detect adverts...
thesaint
Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:12 pm Reply with quote
If one gets a few blank frames before and after adverts can a tap be written to detect these and pause the recording?. in the old days you used to get an ablong blinking block coming up on the top rhs just before adverts came on but I dont think this is the case now. Cool
nwhitfield
Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:31 pm Reply with quote
a couple of black frames - if you do get them on all broadcasts - is something that's only going to be there for 2/25th of a second; not a long time at all. And I doubt that you could write a TAP that reliably detect what was happening, send a pause request, check for a change, then start again, within the timescale. It could easily be upset by lots of other things happening. And what happens with some imported programmes?

For example, on Buffy I've often noticed that you'll get a cliffhanger or sudden shock part way through the epsiode, fade to black, then resume the same scene, perhaps from a different camera angle. It's either an extremely irritating way of directing, or the place where US ad breaks are shoved in. And that fade to black is likely to trigger anything that's simply looking for a couple of black frames.

Nigel.
matt
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:20 am Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
Aren't adverts signalled by one of the "off-screen" lines?

matt
IanP
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:29 am Reply with quote
thesaint wrote:
If one gets a few blank frames before and after adverts can a tap be written to detect these and pause the recording?. in the old days you used to get an ablong blinking block coming up on the top rhs just before adverts came on but I dont think this is the case now. Cool

The blinking block is definately still there on at least some digital channels. I believe it is used to cue regions to be ready to insert the localised adverts. So it probably isn't there on the non-regionalised channels.

I think it would be a lot of effort to create a TAP that attempts to filter the adds on a live recording and it is unlikely to produce reliable results. It would be very frustrating if it removed sections of the show by mistake. If instead the ad removal was done by a copy file TAP it could take it's time in working out what was the ad break (the cuts could be stored in a seperate file or an index could be stored of the cut points in the original file to manually correct erroneously cut scenes). At the end of the day it is just to difficult to code for the benefit it is likely to give. Manual ad skipping is already pretty easy using the progress bar/keyed % and FF search.

Finaly if ad avoidence reaches epedemic proportions it will kill off FTA commercial television. Advertising revenues are expected to begin falling in the next few years because of increased ad avoidance and the availability of alternitive media sources.