Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  After getting new sig, MyStuff has 'gone'

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
rosso
Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jan 2009 Posts: 345
From MyStuff 6.6 I am now back to native after generating an updated signature - any connection? doubtful.

Previously my Toppy would not connect to my laptop and then did so updated sig.. Now again it won't connect - I get on connection -

Connecting to TManager...
Attempting to open USB connection using tfWinUSB.dll ...
USB connection to Toppy established
Checking visibility of directories on the Toppy
Error: DirectoryExists exception failure (#:\ProgramFiles\)
Error: DirectoryExists exception failure (#:\DataFiles\)
Error: Unable to detect Toppy top level directories
Please check that Toppy is switched On and connected to your server
Closed Toppy Connection
<<< Connection failed
TopManager has not detected any programs that would prevent use e.g. Altair
<<< Check Toppy is switched on and cable is connected

yes it is switched on and USB connected.

Can I just install MyStuff again?

Oh! sig not showing. I copy it here:-

TF5800t[/b], TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 +Pe
TAPs: PcControl B1.4; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Extend v1.7; TF5000 Display v1.53; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; Font Manager 1.0d; PruneEPG 1.0;
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4415
TopManager (and MyStuff Installer) checks that it can see either the ProgramFiles or DataFiles folders when it starts; if not, it assumes that it is not a valid disk.

So the question is, why can't it detect either of these directories.

Using the remote,
1) Press > (between << and >>) - you probably don't need to do this!
2) Archive
Should show \DataFiles - check to see if it shows your recordings
3) << (should display ProgramFiles)
4) If Auto Start exists (unlikely) select it and check if you have any taps in the directory.

5) if necessary, work back to \ProgramFiles and then scroll down/select the ProgramFiles\Utilities folder
6) Scroll down and select fsCheck
7) Check the screen to see it it reports any file system errors - if it does you probably don't want to save the report to disk when you exit the tap!.

Let us know how you get on

A possible scenario is that the toppy file system has been corrupted; if so, I can get your files back with ToppyDiskMedic but you would need to send the disk to me promptly if you want it back before Xmas. Another alternative is that you try and fix it yourself using TopfHDRW but this is likely to take many, many hours and can result in the majority of recordings being set to zero length (I can recover data from a reformatted disk and/or after HDRW has been run but this is less than ideal).
Another course of action is that you could reformat the disk and start again but this obviously means that you lose anything that is on the disk (wait for further comment before going down this path).

Another possibility, but unlikely, is that the disk is dying (if you manage to run fsCheck, please post the Acronis number (near bottom of report).

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
rosso
Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:15 am Reply with quote
Thanks for that Geoff.

By remote:
1) Shows a time bar at the screen top.
2)Shows a list of TV and radio recordings.
3)Shows Program Files.
4) I see no Auto Start
5)Can't scroll but pressing OK shows folder icon and 'Parent Folder' with blank field, no file system errors indicated at this stage.
6) ....No scrolling possible.
7)No file system errors.

How to run fsCheck? Oh yes - that option is inoperable/dead (Via TopManager)

Last edited by rosso on Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
rosso
Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:23 am Reply with quote
Oh, sorry I've just got Auto Start showing.

Pressing OK just shows that Parent Folder, 0 Files
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:31 am Reply with quote
You won't be able to run fsCheck if you don't have any entries in ProgramFiles (in particular, the Utilities folder); from your post above, I'm inferring that the ProgramFiles folder is empty.

It looks like your disk is corrupted so you now need to decide how much you value what is on the disk. To send it to me (and return) will cost just under 15. I should be able to turn it around in 2 days max (hopefully 1) at my end. Typically, Signed For parcels get delivered next day but it is near Christmas so who knows!

You could try TopfHDRW if you feel up to it but that would waste some time if you end up sending it to me.

Or you could just reformat the disk from the system menu and try reinstalling everything from scratch.

One other option is that you install Antares on your pc and see if that can connect - I doubt that it looks for the presence of the standard directories. Assuming you can connect, this would let you browse the file system to see what files still exist (assuming you know what files you expect to see on the toppy).

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:37 am Reply with quote
Just read your post implying that something exists in ProgramFiles.

1) Get into ProgramFiles as shown earlier
2) Scroll down to Utilities and press OK
3) Scroll down to fsCheck and press OK
4) Wait for the tap to run (about 30 secs)
5) Try and summarize what it says about the file system and the Acronis indicator -(exact messages not necessary as long as the gist is there)
6) When exiting the tap, use the correct key to close it WITHOUT writing the report to disk (I can't remember what the key is - it will be shown at the bottom of the screen)

Geoff

rosso
Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:40 am Reply with quote
Ok Geoff, I'll leave it till after Xmas/New Year.

I can still use it in the meantime. I notice that the only recordings showing now are those from yesterday which I suppose is as expected.

Andy did notice a possible disk problem when fixing it recently but got it working OK.

So I'll get back to you for a fix later.
Thanks for your attention on this matter.

Just seen your last post - will attend to it now.
rosso
Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:54 am Reply with quote
In Program Files it shows Auto Start - there is no Utilities mentioned anywhere only New Folder, Move to Folder, Options, Delete File.
Folder 0 Files

Pressing the green button here reveals more folders named GROUP 01, GROUP 02 etc.

By scroll down I presume you mean pressing the down button.
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:55 am Reply with quote
It is not just as easy as "I can still use it in the meantime".

1) Any timers that are already set will still fire at the appropriate time and write to the disk (potentially overwriting stuff you want to keep).
2) if time Shifting is enabled, this is equivalent to recording and the time shift buffer moves around the disk i.e. it is not at a static location

You could delete all existing timers and turn off time shifting but you are still likely to experience EPG problems (PruneEPG won't be running).
Someone else may come up with other reasons why one shouldn't just run it as it is.

The toppy will function diskless - e.g. if you need it because you don't have freeview in the TV i.e. you could send me the disk and still use the toppy as a freeview box (sans recording) while waiting for it's return.

As you have had issues before ("andy noticed a possible disk problem"), another way forward may be to bite the bullet and upgrade the disk (increased capacity and cooler). You could then copy files from the old disk to the new one - note: this is quite a slow operation.

Geoff

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:02 am Reply with quote
Corrupted disks are typically caused by poor signal quality i.e. do you have good signals where you are?

Looking at you recent posts, you seem to have had a variety of issues so, is this toppy the one that you had the capacitors changed in?

Geoff

rosso
Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:16 am Reply with quote
I do have other freeview machines to use. I can disconnect this Toppy.

Pressing the white button to bring up timers does nothing so how would I delete the set timers?

I have very good signal quality here. The capacitor(s) were changed in this Toppy about 2 years ago,perhaps a little more. There was a more recent problem 3 months ago which Andy fixed, in fact a problem which equally affected 2 Toppys! This 2nd Toppy I got for my sister-in-law she no longer uses so I have it. I could copy my files over to that one (with empty HDD but with MyStuff 6.6 etc) and use that then?

Is there a link on the Toppy forum to tell how to do this?
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote
There isn't a specific link, as far as I know.

If the toppy is visible from the pc, you can use Antares to copy what is there but this is likely to take one or two days if your disk is full; you then have to copy it back onto the new toppy disk.

Another alternative is that you use TopfHDRW which is much faster than USB (10 times say?). This requires you removing the disk from the toppy and connecting it directly to the pc. HDRW can then copy files off (and/or repair a corrupt file system). You can copy directly from one toppy disk to another if they are both connected at the same time - otherwise you have to copy them to the pc, swap the drives and copy them back to the new disk. As you are on Windows 10, you probably have enough room to copy them off to the pc disk (others with smaller pc disks would probably have to copy the files in chunks). However, as you are on Win10, it is extremely unlikely that you can directly connect your toppy disks without buying a USB2 to SATA/IDE connector (about 6.50 on ebay) - you would need two if you want to do direct disk to disk copies (I've never tried this but I think andyfras does)
Note: if your toppy disks are 1 GB then these are are likely to not need this extra adapter.

I suggest you
1) take the problem toppy out of service i.e. avoid corrupting the disk any further
2) setup your spare toppy in it's place
3) As quickly as possible, either attempt to fix with HDRW (best of luck) or send it to me.
4) When the disk is "repaired", copy any new files from your "Spare" toppy to the pc (probably use Antares if the repair has only taken a few days as the number of files will be small whereas if you delay some time, there are likely to be multiple files so you probably need TopfHDRW and adapter)

Note: as a MyStuff user, you would also need to copy the MyStuff files in \ProgramFiles\Settings\MyStuff - if these are not visible, I can recover them (TopfHDRW can't). You can get away without these files but it means that MS would rerecord any repeats (once you had set up the searches). It also means that the MS archive would not recognize merged recordings (it woudl only show the first programme) and may also not display the same description.

Geoff

rosso
Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for all that Geoff.

I'll decide what to do with my 'bad' Toppy till after New year.

Today I have set up my other Toppy which has started up OK. I went thru the Options for my preferred selections but a couple of oddities have turned up. Perhaps I should start a new thread but I'll describe here initially and start a new one if advised.

I have set up some future recordings but altho I have Timer Key (S5) set to White button this does not get me to timers (only thru Archive). When pressing White button I get a picture freeze for 1 sec. and in the lower left corner a Time Shift pop up which lasts for 1 or 2 secs. and shows a timer from 0.00.00 to 1.00.00.

I thought maybe I could set a time shift for up to 1 hour some how so pressed 14 on the number keys which changed the channel to 14 and set that timer off for what I saw as 46 mins. But now I see it is counting down for 1 hour.

So what is that Time Shift pop up and why does the White button not work?

I'll try the new Sig. later.

Opening TopManager I get - 'A different version of Freeview.dat ...available...' Should I download this?
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Probably best to start a new thread to avoid confusion when you start posting about the original toppy.

Yes you should load the latest Freeview.dat - even though it has nothing to d with your current problem.

I don't recognize your symptoms - perhaps it is the way you described it.
Suggest you post the MyInfo log for the replacement toppy in the new thread.

Also suggest you post the Display| MyStuffOptions Export - put it ins the same post after the MyInfo log. No need to use code blocks, italics or quites as they should both display fine.

Geoff

rosso
Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I have updated the sig. for this other Toppy - I'll see if it actually gets added here (it didn't for my other one) and start a new thread on the Timers glitch which I think I have described quite well - can't think how to improve it. Can I photo the TV screen and paste it in the new thread?

Ah. the sig. worked!

?