Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Dumping chase play buffer to disk?

Page 1 of 1
munk
Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 16 May 2006 Posts: 60
Is there any way to dump the full 1hr(?) chase buffer(?) to disk? Specifically dumping the chase buffer where there are programme changes within the buffer (dumping the current programme to disk is trivial of course, just hit 'record', but I'd like to be able to also dump any previous programmes as well as the current one).

Example:

Time is 6.55pm. Watching the Regional News on BBC1, there is a timer about to start at 7pm, but I want to be able to go back and view the main BBC1 News at Six AND the Regional News using 'chase' without worrying that the 7pm timer will 'kill' the buffer. Is there any way to dump both the news at 6 AND the regional news to disk?

I could manage to do it if I connected via USB (I seem to remember this is possible using topfhdrw or similar whereby you can dump/copy the contents of the chase buffer TS file but I don't really want to have to do that each time!).

Not particularly important but it continues to come up quite regularly and I usually just end up cancelling the impending timer, recording it on the TV instead, and then skip through the chase buffer carefully without dumping it (permanently) to disk.

I suppose the other option is just to set timers to record the news at 6 and regional news as well as the other item at 7!

juwlz
Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:12 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
If you're using MyStuff, just press Record. It'll ask you where you want to start from.

If not, rewind to the start of the buffer and hit record.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
andyfras
Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3453
I recommend the TSSaver TAP which will save the buffer if you're watching in TS mode and something happens, such as a timer start or channel change, which would normally cause the buffer to be lost.

MyStuff doesn't instantly see it, so you may need to press 0 when in the MS archive to make it update.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
munk
Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
juwlz wrote:
If you're using MyStuff, just press Record. It'll ask you where you want to start from.

If not, rewind to the start of the buffer and hit record.

Julie

I'll double check again, as I say hitting record is 'trivial' for recording the current programme you're watching but if it's a previous programme I thought it wouldn't record it. If it works as you suggest then that's a bit embarrassing. Surprised Thanks for the reply.

Thanks Andy for your response as well I'll have a look at TSSaver if the above doesn't work.

juwlz
Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
With MyStuff, when you press record, you get a dialog box asking where you want to start from (start of buffer / start of programme (if more recent) / now).

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
munk
Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:34 pm Reply with quote
juwlz wrote:
With MyStuff, when you press record, you get a dialog box asking where you want to start from (start of buffer / start of programme (if more recent) / now).

Julie

I did double check and I don't see the kind of options that you suggested. If I press record, MyStuff opens up the record dialog and the only options available are to record from the start of the current programme or from 'Now'. There is no option to record from an earlier time (ie to record the previous programme or from the start of the buffer), even if you scroll to the start of the buffer / inside the previous programme.

I'm sure I used to be able to record from the start of the buffer though, so I don't know why/when that stopped being the case.

One very odd thing that has been going on for a long time - which may or may not have anything to do with it - is that I see bookmarks being placed in odd places when I bring up the native buffer timeline (by pressing the 'play' button). Usually you would expect bookmarks to be placed at the start / end of programmes (presumably this is the accurate bookmark tap that sets these, I forget now, not in front of the toppy right now). However more often than not when I'm NOT recording anything I see very odd bookmarks being set along the buffer timeline (usually in the future on the buffer timeline, but occasionally even outside the timeline itself just to the right of the timeline).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9wyx0jmq8ghpeeb/IMG_20151025_195119840.jpg?dl=0

I'm not really bothered about this behaviour (and actually if you use the remote to skip to the bookmarks, the correct point in the timeline is jumped to anyway) since the correct behaviour DOES occur when recording anything... so that's fine. But it may have something to do with this issue perhaps (but then again maybe not). I might have a go at removing any 'odd' bookmarks in the timeshift/chase timeline and see if that makes a difference to my ability to record the current/previous programmes in the timeline.

Anyway no real problems, it's just an occasional annoyance not being able to record the full timeshift / chase buffer if there are programme breaks in it. I will try your suggestion Andy though re the TSSaver TAP, might be just as easy.

Last edited by munk on Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

ccs
Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2582
deleted

ccsx
munk
Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, I've installed TSSaver and it appears to work very well, I will add it to my autostart folder I think. Thanks Andy. Smile

Still bemused by the inability to record the buffer via MS though, I could swear I used to be able to do that without any issues... oh well, as I say it's far from desperately required and TSSaver will work well enough for what I need it for (thanks EMJB BTW Smile).

Cheers for the help.

gomezz
Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3985 Location: Buckingham
munk wrote:
I did double check and I don't see the kind of options that you suggested. If I press record, MyStuff opens up the record dialog and the only options available are to record from the start of the current programme or from 'Now'
Sounds like you don't have Time Shifting turned on so there is no buffer to record from and Now is the earliest it can offer.

munk
Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
gomezz wrote:
munk wrote:
I did double check and I don't see the kind of options that you suggested. If I press record, MyStuff opens up the record dialog and the only options available are to record from the start of the current programme or from 'Now'
Sounds like you don't have Time Shifting turned on so there is no buffer to record from and Now is the earliest it can offer.

Time shifting works OK. Can you actually turn time shifting off? The only time I know time shifting doesn't work is when you're out of tuners - ie recording two different MUXes simultaneously and so time shifting is disabled - but that's not really something you can control as such?

Anyway it's all good now thanks, happy enough using the TSSaver TAP.