Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  AV & other discussions  ~  TBS 6281 TV tuner card

Page 1 of 1
Paladin
Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 20 Apr 2006 Posts: 99 Location: Lichfield
I currently have the Toppy set up in my living room with the main TV. I also have a coax lead attached to the rf out on the toppy to supply a picture to a second TV in the kitchen. I am thinking of replacing the Toppy with an HTPC with the above mentioned tuner card (The Toppy may go into semi-retirement in the bedroom). Now the TBS 6281 has an rf out socket and I'm sure I can use this to pass the broadcast signal through to the TV in the kitchen, but I'm not sure it would pass through stuff that I'm playing on the HTPC in the way that the connection to the Toppy does (when tuned to channel 36). I want to be able to playback recordings and watch them on the second TV.

The answer to this question might be obvious, but darned if I can work it out.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve.
mstombs
Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 937
I reckon the card output is just the same as the toppy aerial connectors, which merely allow daisy chaining of multiple devices which each have their own decoder.

Quote:
Needs only one aerial connection and has an RF pass-through connector

NOT the modulated output that the Toppy also generates which outputs the current program plus menu overlays
Paladin
Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 20 Apr 2006 Posts: 99 Location: Lichfield
Yes, I think you are right. I just wish I hadn't got coax cable going through walls and around the house to various TVs 'cos I cant see how I can use it to distribute a picture from an HTPC - unless anyone has any clever ideas?

Thanks,
Steve
ccs
Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2506
I've just invested in an Amazon Fire TV, which, using Kodi, allows me to view perfect HD quality recordings on another tv, wirelessly.

ccsx
juwlz
Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
ccs wrote:
I've just invested in an Amazon Fire TV, which, using Kodi, allows me to view perfect HD quality recordings on another tv, wirelessly.
Recordings from the interweb, or something local?

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
juwlz
Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Paladin wrote:
Yes, I think you are right. I just wish I hadn't got coax cable going through walls and around the house to various TVs 'cos I cant see how I can use it to distribute a picture from an HTPC - unless anyone has any clever ideas?
We installed LAN cabling (behind coving, in most cases) when we were having other work done on the house a few years ago, and we use HDMI distribution over LAN (this sort of thing) to distribute 5810 output to all of our TVs.

All of our AV toys are routed into the Amp and from there out to the lounge TV and the distribution system (so we have one point to distribute FROM, regardless of which input we're using - Toppy / PS3 / Humax Satellite box / Chromecast, etc. Before we switched to an HDMI-based Amp, we used to use a non-HDMI variant of the same system (I forget what now) to distribute output from the 5800 (via the old Amp) to the other TVs.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
ccs
Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
juwlz wrote:
ccs wrote:
Recordings from the interweb, or something local?
Local - I bought an Xtrend ET10000 about 3 months ago.

I'm really impressed, but there are a few issues, which are not particularly life threatening, but really do need sorting.
Unfortunatelyy, I'm not getting any help at all from the VIX team.
I don't know what I've done to deserve it, some issues were reported over a month ago, but have been pretty much ignored.

Maybe it's because I'm freeview only.

There are a couple of toppy users (I'm assuming this from their id's) who have been helpful, but the problems are very much in enigma/VIX.

ccsx
mstombs
Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 937
Paladin wrote:

Thanks,
Steve

HDMI to RF Devices exist, professional kit for hotels I guess?

http://www.justhdmi.co.uk/modulated-hdmi-over-rf-coax/

If you have scart or phono you can use an old device or a buy a box, for example

http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/32257--27851r-rf-modulator-mains-connected.html

But might be cheaper to use the coax as draw strings!
Darucla
Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1542
ccs wrote:

There are a couple of toppy users (I'm assuming this from their id's) who have been helpful, but the problems are very much in enigma/VIX.

Possibly if you post the problems here, you might get some advice? Depends on the nature of the problem of course, but I have found the WOS site to be very unhelpful, so you probably won't get worse results here.
Darucla
Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:21 am Reply with quote
Paladin wrote:
I want to be able to playback recordings and watch them on the second TV.

The answer to this question might be obvious, but darned if I can work it out.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve.

Networking is the way to go, and with faster wifi speeds now available, that need not be the obstacle it once was. There are loads of small boxes, running Android or Windows these days, which can be sited in any room with a TV, and then they connect to a database, or any other networked device in the house. I haven't looked at the HDMI/RF solution lately, but they were very expensive the last I looked, and of limited use. You can get Android or Mini-pc boxes for around 50 -100, and they will be much more flexible. I'd recommend an Intel-based solution, running either Windows+Kodi or Openelec. Or RPi2 running Openelec.
ccs
Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Darucla wrote:
ccs wrote:

Possibly if you post the problems here, you might get some advice? Depends on the nature of the problem of course, but I have found the WOS site to be very unhelpful, so you probably won't get worse results here.
Yes, you're probably right - I've just restarted the box from scratch, recreating all settings ( Mad) to see what, if anything, improves.

ccsx
Darucla
Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
FYI, I find the Egami image to be less problematic. http://image.egami-image.com/