Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Freeview, TopUp and TV  ~  BBC consultation - closing date is 8th October!

Page 1 of 1
nwhitfield
Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9577
Don't forget tomorrow is the last date to respond to the consultation on the BBC.

Some thoughts here:

http://gonedigital.net/2015/10/07/time-to-have-your-say-on-the-bbc/

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1542
I have filled in the survey, but I am surprised at the questions being put to a random audience. Really, they want me to tell them how the BBC could reorganize or maximize their overseas operations? It's an object lesson in how not to design a questionnaire. Unless, of course, they are using the first few questions as a filter. I don't know.
nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9577
Yes, it's quite clearly been written in such a way as to make it very hard for the person in the street to respond to, and to give plenty of opportunities for those with axes to grind to do so.

One person in the industry spoke with said they felt that it came across more as "we've decided to gut the BBC, we'd like advice on the best way to do it"

I hope that the various bits I've written, along with others and campaigns by people like 38 degrees do help to ensure that a lot of ordinary people get their voices heard.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Jan 2006 Posts: 225
Darucla wrote:
It's an object lesson in how not to design a questionnaire.

I had exactly that thought. After re-reading Question 1 a few times, I glanced at the second page and aborted.

Darucla wrote:
Unless, of course, they are using the first few questions as a filter. I don't know.

If so, it worked; I had the strong impression the survey wasn't for the average couch potato.
Darucla
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1542
I hope for the best, but have been planning for the worst for years. The worst being a situation where you have to pay every time you watch something and it's all online so you have no work around. I have stored up enough stuff to watch, so that I can be out of that loop at least until my expected date of death.

All I could do in that survey was to say that I love the BBC and happily pay the licence fee, as many times as it looked reasonable to do so in answer to the questions.

[Edit] Am I the only person who looks back in fondness to the days of 3 channels, and even ITV had something good on sometimes? I doubt that all of the progamme providers these days could put together a good weeks' worth of new viewing across any number of channels. They used to apologize for repeats.
Bizman
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1707
Darucla wrote:
Am I the only person who looks back in fondness to the days of 3 channels, and even ITV had something good on sometimes?
When I do 'Pick of the week', if I were to include just those programmes that I personally would watch, the selection would be rather small. Instead I do a software-aided pick of what might interest the average Toppy user and any 'New series'. Today we have quantity, in analogue days we had quality. At least some of the older programmes are being repeated.

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
TopTapper
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Jan 2006 Posts: 225
Darucla wrote:
a situation where you have to pay every time you watch something [...] I have stored up enough stuff to watch, so that I can be out of that loop at least until my expected date of death.

Impressive counter-measures. Wink I've still got hundreds of hours of unwatched recordings but I'm going for a slightly different strategy. There are some things I could watch over-and-over and as memory deteriorates I reckon putting, say, five series of 'The Wire' on loop could account for a good few years. The life expectancy calculator, mentioned on BBC R4 yesterday, gives me hope that I can avoid any Sky-like pay-and-still-be-exposed-to-millions-of-ads experience.

Darucla wrote:
All I could do in that survey was to say that I love the BBC and happily pay the licence fee, as many times as it looked reasonable to do so in answer to the questions.

I value their output greatly (dross and quality) and I'd willingly pay a much higher licence fee to avoid pay-on-demand or any structure that means the less well off are denied what is, essentially, a national treasure. As long as there's independence and a culture where creativity, eccentricity and technology flourish I'd put it up there with the NHS and be happy to see the BBC maintain an unfair advantage over the "commercial" sector.

Darucla wrote:
[Edit] Am I the only person who looks back in fondness to the days of 3 channels, and even ITV had something good on sometimes? I doubt that all of the progamme providers these days could put together a good weeks' worth of new viewing across any number of channels.

I didn't do much ITV as a kid and I can only think of one show-stopper; The Sweeney. There was some very decent Nordic Noir on ITV3 or ITV4 the other year and I do like some of the mainstream dross but generally speaking the channels aren't likely to give the remote a hammering here.

Darucla wrote:
They used to apologize for repeats.

I'm banking on them. Wink
tuff
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Having completed the questionnaire I?m not sure I hadn't taken part in an episode of W1A. If so, top marks to Perfect Curve for designing the questions.

?