Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  inadvertent rename of Datafiles folder

Page 1 of 1
grro58
Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:29 am Reply with quote
I was using Filezilla to remotely access my Toppy from a tablet, and inadertently started the rename process when hovering over my Datafiles folder. As the name had disappeared I re-named it as "datafiles", which I now realise is wrong. The Toppy has recreated "Datafiles", but my problem is that all of my recordings are in the wrongly named folder, which no longer appears on my Toppy.

I have had a further go at deleting the new "Datafiles" folder so that I can rename the old one correctly, but this won't work (presumably because the Toppy is running) before I remove the disk and attempt to carry out the renaming whilst connected to my PC, does anyone else have a quick solution to this problem?

Thank you

?
TopTapper
Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Jan 2006 Posts: 228
If you renamed it once then I guess you can do it again. Try "0" to boot tapless, with time-shifting off...
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4385
Try rebooting the toppy tapless (Press while booting)
Then
1) Rename DataFiles to DataFilesBad
2) Rename datafiles to DataFiles
3) reboot the toppy tapless and
4) Pray! - check that recordings now visible in DataFiles

Assuming that works, delete DataFilesBad and
5) go into \ProgramFiles\Settings\MyStuff\Backups
6) Copy the latest versions of the MyStuff backups into the parent directory
7) go into \ProgramFiles\Settings\MyStuff
8 ) Rename the existing .dat files to .dat_old
9) Remove the stamps from the files you copied in step 6 i.e. they should now have the same names as the corresponding .dat_old files
10) Reboot

It may be possible to do steps 5 to 9 using the MyStuff recovery system but I would prefer to do it the way I have shown because I then have complete control over what is happening.

If you can't complete steps 1-4, you will have to do attach the pc to a windows pc and use TopfHDRW to rename the folder (I could do it for you but assuming you can run TopfHDRW, nothing else should be wrong with the disk)

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
grro58
Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Thank you both. A cautious rename worked. Incidentally the folder has to be "DataFiles" and no other variant will do. I opted for a Mystuff restore in the end as I was unsure which files were best to choose. All files are back in place and things are working as they should.

?
juwlz
Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:39 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
grro58 wrote:
Incidentally the folder has to be "DataFiles" and no other variant will do
That doesn't surprise me in the least. The Toppy filesystem is case-sensitive, and the firmware absolutely will expect to use the DataFiles folder for all recordings.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012