Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Replaced IDE with SATA Bridge - no power

Page 1 of 1
mdoyle
Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 31 Aug 2005 Posts: 53
By way of intro, some years back I quite happily replaced the caps on the Toppy mobo... so am careful around innards.

My IDE disk died and rather than source another I tried to use the SATA-PATA bridge and a SATA drive I have.

I took out the disk cage, fitted the bridge (no problems), connected the new disk and replaced the cage.

When I plug it in, its completely dead. No lights, no attempt to power up, nothing. I have tested the plug fuse and the mobo fuse next to the power supply inlet. All OK.

I *may* have access to another dead Toppy for parts (I think it was a cap problem the owner did not know how to fix).

Do you have any diagnostic suggestions or other things I can try? I can use a multimeter, but don't have all the diags for which pins to test so if that is the route, please point me to those too.

Mike

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 19 Jul 2005 Posts: 261
mdoyle wrote:
By way of intro, some years back I quite happily replaced the caps on the Toppy mobo... so am careful around innards.

But did you replace all 18? I suspect not so others may have started to fail.

Sig generated by MyInfo on 2/7/13

'I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand' Confucius
mdoyle
Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for such a swift response.

Agreed. Not all 18 - I think at the time, less than that were suggested (6 IIRC). It just seemed coincidental that when I swapped the bridge, it failed thereafter. It had quite happily taken a temporary IDE drive for the past week.

I examined all the caps I can see and none look like the last set did prior to replacing them ... (bowed top or bulging sides) - they all seem OK. Is there another way to test than visual? I could take a snap and post it.

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
mdoyle wrote:
I examined all the caps I can see and none look like the last set did prior to replacing them ... (bowed top or bulging sides) - they all seem OK. Is there another way to test than visual? I could take a snap and post it.
They often look perfectly OK visually, even when they've failed. The only way to be sure is to use a meter to test them all.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
andyfras
Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:27 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3470
C9 is involved in the start-up of the PSU. When it fails, a PSU can work quite happily but will not restart after powering off.

I strongly suggest replacing all 18 capacitors (see my sig below).

It's also worth noting that not all SATA adapters work in the Toppy, although that is not the cause of the lack of power.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
mdoyle
Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:08 am Reply with quote
Hi Andy/Juwlz - I had a good rummage through your site yesterday and from the "diagnostic" page I was going to try C7 first, as I can see that is one I did not replace last time and one you indicate often fails. I can do C9 as well.

Alas, my solder sucker broke as I tested it, and then my soldering iron won't actually heat up Smile Will be on Amazon to get a new set. I don't think I have sufficient caps for all 18 (well, 12 now as I did 6 originally) but I can address that. I was going to try it piecemeal as whilst I can do the soldering ... its not a day job for me so I am probably more likely to increase the damage...

Mike

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:44 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3470
If you only did 6 originally, I can guarantee that most of the others will have failed by now, particularly C26 and C27. C7 and C24 will probably be the last to fail.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
mdoyle
Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Hi All - I requested Andy's PSU repair service which was perfect and I now have an operational Toppy once more...

Thank you for your kind and fast response here.

Mike