Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Lost all my data!

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Grand Dizzy
Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:15 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Oct 2009 Posts: 172
Lately my Toppy has been crashing, becoming unresponsive, acting strange, recording things I didn't ask it to, etc. It probably didn't help that the aerial signal in my new flat is really weak and inconsistent.

Well yesterday I turned the Toppy on to find the message:

"WARNING
ALL DATA ON HDD WILL BE LOST!
Proceed with Format?
Yes No"

The controls didn't respond so I had to reboot, after which I got the same message again. After selecting "no", I found all the data had already been wiped anyway. Gone was all trace of MyStuff and 600gig of recordings.

The most disappointing thing is not losing the recordings, but losing all record of what I had recorded, and my list of timers which I had carefully cultivated.

I'm guessing there's no easy solution, and all I can do is plug it into my PC and use file recovery programs (eg Recuva and GetDataBack) to try to get some data back.

Might anyone be able to advise me which files I should be looking to try and recover? For example, what are the filenames of MyStuff's timers and settings? And how much success do you think I might have in recovering the files?

Also, assuming I'm able to recover some MyStuff files or recordings, could anyone advise on the correct procedure in re-integrating them after a fresh installation?

Thanks guys Smile
ccs
Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:07 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2656
Power off the toppy and wait for Geoff to reply.

ccsx
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4547
@Grand Dizzy

Your disk has been corrupted - probably caused by recording from a poor quality channel (and remember, if you have TimeShift enabled, you are effectively recording even if you are not storing the output into a file - TS is what allows you to wind back the live display).

[edit]Recuva and GetDataBack will not be able to recover data for you; the only programs, as far as I know, that understand the toppy FAT24 file structure are TopfHDRW and ToppyDiskMedic)
[/edit]

I have written my own program (ToppyDiskMedic) for use in recovering a toppy disk. This uses a variety of techniques to get info from the disk e.g. following recording chains, picking up orphan directories, identifying possible non-recording files from their content etc.
The success of recovery depends exactly on what has been corrupted - the main directory and the FAT table at stored at the start of the disk and these are usually the areas to be blatted. This means that although the majority of your recordings are still intact on the disk, they cannot be accessed.

I haven't released TDM for general use (and probably never will) - you would have to extract the disk and post it to me. I can get the disk back to you within a week (although I may way one or two days extra if I think I can get extra data back and I have to specifically code for it).

Unfortunately, ProgramFiles and contents (including MyStuff config files) tend to be at the start of the disk (they are typically loaded/created when the disk is empty) so these tend to be difficult to recover. Success with MyStuff files would also be dependent on which version of MS you are using (each version has it's own undocumented file structure and there are no obvious magic signatures in the content. TDM currently recognizes 6.6 files - assuming BobD hasn't changed the layout in a more recent build.

I'll pm you with my address

Geoff

PS: An alternative solution is to attempt to recover the info yourself using TopfHDRW, However, this will take many hours of work, will only recover recordings at best and to obscure names (I try to resolve the original filenames). When my disk was corrupted, I found TopfHDRW couldn't do much for me so I just reformatted the disk and decided to try writing my own program (hence TDM)

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Lately my Toppy has been crashing, becoming unresponsive, acting strange, recording things I didn't ask it to, etc. It probably didn't help that the aerial signal in my new flat is really weak and inconsistent.

Strange behaviour (toppywise) is typically an indication that the PSU is failing so, have you had all the PSU (capacitors) changed since the box was bought?

If not, you should contact andyfras for details of his services (ideally get your toppy repaired while I an recovering the disk - should you decide to send it to me).

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Grand Dizzy
Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
Thank you, Geoff, very much for your replies and kind offer of help. I am going to have a think about what to do today and will get back to you.

Just to say that andyfras did all the capacitors and installed it all for me at the beginning of this year, so I presume the box should be OK in terms of hardware.
Grand Dizzy
Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:34 am Reply with quote
Oh, and just to say, the hard drive seems to be out of action. At first, after the drive was wiped, I could go to the archive and see that there was nothing there. But since then I can no longer access the archive and the disk options are ghosted out in the options, also when I accidentally set something to record it said "insufficient disk space". So the hard drive seems to be out of action, though I'm not sure whether it's a physical problem or just software. The drive was brand new this year.
ccs
Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like you need a channel rescan before the drive becomes visible, but, until you decide what to do, that would make the files on the drive a bit harder to recover.

ccsx
Grand Dizzy
Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:21 am Reply with quote
Update:

I sent the hard drive off to Geoff who very kindly helped me and was able to recover all my recordings! I also managed to blow some kind of a fuse when I was removing the hard drive but AndyFras kindly repaired my PSU (once again). Thank you both! The people of this forum are very helpful. Smile

I just have one further problem. I don't currently have internet at home and I've been trying to install MyStuff manually, to no avail. I've downloaded all the required files/TAPs etc and have hooked up the hard drive to my PC with TopfHDRW. I then tried to follow the step-by-step instructions in this thread: What does the Installer do? - but I couldn't do it because a lot of the sub-folders don't seem to exist. Possibly because they were lost when the drive was wiped, or possibly because I'm using the wrong method? Should I just create any folders which don't exist?

Also, I think I will need to install the Channel Organiser TAP but not sure quite how, or where it goes.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks Smile[/url]
ccs
Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:42 am Reply with quote
You need to use Antares to move taps and their associated files around.

TopfHDRW doesn't work well with small files, but it's ok for recordings.

ccsx
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:33 am Reply with quote
@Grand Dizzy

Sorry, just read this after I replied to your PM.

As you can obviously download files, I'll send you a link so that will allow you to use an offline MyStuff Installer kit i.e. one that doesn't require the internet while it is installing

Geoff

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:41 am Reply with quote
link sent

Geoff

Grand Dizzy
Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Thank you both, Geoff and CCS Smile

May I also ask another question: I took the PSU out to send to Andy? I'm putting it back in but not sure which way around the power cable goes onto it. There's a blue and brown wire? I think the brown goes towards the front side of the unit but not sure?
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Suggest you ask andy (I can't remember which way around it goes - I sent mine to him some time ago).

Hint: Should you ever have to do something like this again, it is a good idea to take pictures of the original configuration with a mobile phone (alternatively attach labels to the cables); this makes reassembly much easier.

Cheers
Geoff

mstombs
Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 938
If its the mains inputs there are pictures in here

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16065

But I do remember some debate as the original live and neutral wasn't optimal in UK?

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=231337

The fuse should be in the brown live cable, so if called upon to clear a fault the circuit isn't left at mains voltage level, which means which way round?
andyfras
Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3476
Most 5800s left the factory with the plug reversed.

The brown wire should be closest to the fuse.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ