Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  What alternative ?

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
furkin
Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:03 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Sep 2006 Posts: 348
What alternative ?

Unfortunately: my good old faithful is on the blink.

Fortunately: my local power company will pay for a new kit !

The last time I asked, it seems that the Humax 2000T 1Tb Freeview+ was favoured by some Toppy users.

Is that still the case ?
I'm only interested in Freeview+ at present.

When it arrives, I'll send the Toppy to Andy or Geoff to be repaired - as per my previous post on the problems.

cheers all

5800: 5:13:65T, MyStuff: 6.5. SecCache uk v0.4. epg2mei: 0.96. Font Manager: 1.0d. Extend: 1.7. MyInfo: B5.6. EitSub: v0.6.
Humax: FVP4000T. TV: LG 55 EC930V + Toshiba 32XV505 LCD (inc Freeview).
Other: Panasonic E55 DVD + Lite-On DVD Recorders. Philips STB.
M.Player: Coopa TV001
Transmitter: Redruth.
furkin
Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:39 am Reply with quote
PS:
I'm getting a new TV also, so ignore current signature.
It'll be LG 55EC930V
Bizman
Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1707
The following topics may give you some suggestions from other posters:

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20627 (Miraclebox et al)
http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20641
http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19045

Unless you particularly want to move on, andyfras would probably be able to breathe new life into your existing Toppy.

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
furkin
Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:00 am Reply with quote
Cheers Biz,
That does look like an awesome machine. I've told my supplier to hold up on the Humax, whilst I look more into the Miracle Box.

In the meantime, how do the Humax 2000T Freeview+ and the Miraclebox Freeview+ compare with each other ?

As in my o.p, I fully intend to ask Andy or Geoff to fix the Toppy.
It's been one of the best bits of kit I have ever had, and wished I'd looked into them sooner than I did.

I'm hoping it's either a corrupt hdd or less likely, a psu issue.
They are the experts, and been advising me.

thanks for the links

Baz
juwlz
Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:32 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
furkin wrote:
I'm hoping it's either a corrupt hdd or less likely, a psu issue.
Make that MORE likely a PSU issue. Even if it's manifesting as a corrupt hard drive.

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
alan_m
Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3496
furkin wrote:
Cheers Biz,
That does look like an awesome machine. I've told my supplier to hold up on the Humax, whilst I look more into the Miracle Box.

The miraclebox and similar boxes that can run the same software are more suited to satellite rather than terrestrial. They don't support HD terrestrial surround sound very well. The pedigree of these boxes is satellite based and the user forums are mainly aimed at satellite usage.

Quote:

In the meantime, how do the Humax 2000T Freeview+ and the Miraclebox Freeview+ compare with each other ?

Miraclebox FreeSAT probably much better than the humax offering as long as you don't mind tinkering a LOT. These box are not for those who just want something to work well out-of-the-box.

My recommendation would be for 2 off satellite tuners for HD surround sound and one or two tuners for terrestrial SD TV - the best of both worlds . With the tri and quad tuner boxes you can mix and match tuners and combine the results into one EPG.

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 10 Nov 2006 Posts: 84 Location: Great Missenden
My experiences of the Humax vs Toppy here.....

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20730

?
furkin
Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
ooooops,,,,
Thanks Alan,
I was just about to post:

I think I?m going for a: Miraclebox Premium Ultra Triple Tuner HD Digital Receiver 3x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2.
Can anyone tell me if this contains just 3 x T2 Freeview+ tuners ? no ?hybrid/mixed? tuners ?
I have no idea about: Image/Firmware versions. Can anyone explain please ?
I do realize that this is a Toppy forum, which I fully intend to stay with, but you do know about other units.

It now looks like it might not be for me,,,,, but then, I may well get a satellite dish in the future. (I used to have a motorised kit many years ago,,,,)

I do have SurroundSound with my TV, but as I have now ordered the LG55ec930v set, I will lose that.

I will be keeping the Toppy - once sorted - so could spend time playing with a M.B,,,

decisions,,,, decisions,,,,
Darucla
Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1544
The hybrid tuners are Freeview HD, they don't do either/or, just the one model for terrestrial and cable, with no real problems as far as I can see. Satellite tuners are a separate matter.

Yes, they do require rather more messing than, say, my Humax HDR T2, but in reality, no more than a Topfield. The firmware options are like having different UIs, like MyStufff v Native v Jags. I use the Egami, which seems less a problem than others http://image.egami-image.com/. It also updates less often, which is a benefit for me, as long as it works.

The only real problem you may have is that the audio output from the HDMI socket may only be AAC 2 Channel (which will play on almost anything), even if the broadcast is 5.1. The file recorded will be 5.1, and there are a number of devices which can play them back in multi-channel PCM.

Really, i love the Topfield with MyStuff, and if there's ever any show that absolutely, urgently must be recorded while I am not there, the Topfield is the go to box. But I really love HD as well, and find myself using the Topfield less and less often.
alan_m
Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
furkin wrote:
ooooops,,,,
Thanks Alan,
I was just about to post:

[i]I think I?m going for a: Miraclebox Premium Ultra Triple Tuner HD Digital Receiver 3x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2.

A hybrid DVB C/T/T2:
C =Cable
T = SD terresstrial TV
T2 = HD terrestrial TV
These tuners are capable of all three standards

For satellite you need a DVB S/S2 tuners

Quote:

Can anyone tell me if this contains just 3 x T2 Freeview+ tuners ? no ?hybrid/mixed? tuners ?

That's 3 off tuners capable of supporting terrestrial TV (HD ad SD) via an aerial or cable.

Note these boxes are NOT Freeview branded although you will get an over the air 7 day EPG.

You should be able to mix and match tuners in the box. Email World of Satellite before you buy and they will be able to offer the mix of tuners you want. A tuner module costs around 30 so different prices of the boxes you see on their web site are usually due to the number of tuners fitted. I believe all tuner slots in the Miraclebox take plug in tuner modules - they are not soldered in as is the case with the Toppy.

Quote:

I have no idea about: Image/Firmware versions. Can anyone explain please ?

These boxes can all run a variety of different software (called images). World of Satellite will put on the image your you choice for free if you order from them. I guess most people here started off with the OpenVIX image.
This is maintained by mainly hobbyists with updates on a very regular basis. In general, the updates are available over the Internet and the box talks to your router/Internet via Ethernet or Wi-fi. Menu options on the box allow you to fetch/install the updates. You can also install images by way of a USB memory stick. My recommendation is once you have you box working well don't bother too much with the often weekly updates.

Quote:

I do have SurroundSound with my TV, but as I have now ordered the LG55ec930v set, I will lose that.

Do you have separate surround sound amplifier?

Main stream HD Terrestrial TV products from Humax etc. that have Freeview+ Youview branding convert AAC5.1 surround sound audio as used on some UK HD broadcasts to a digital format that most surround sound amplifiers can accept. The Miraclebox, and similar boxes, do not so you are left with AAC5.1 audio which most AV amps don't accept. The Miraclebox etc. does however have the ability to down-convert to stereo but in my opinion leaving you with a poor quality audio.

HD broadcasts on satellite use a different audio standard that is more mainstream and supported by most (all?) AV amps that have been around for 10 years or so. Hence, if you want better quality audio for HD broadcasts then go satellite. The same problems don't exist for SD broadcasts.

Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 10 Nov 2006 Posts: 84 Location: Great Missenden
Wow - things have got pretty complex these days, haven't they?

Bring back the good old RF lead into the back of the telly....but not the small screens, poor quality picture and audio and only 3 channels, obviously.

?
birdman
Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:11 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 1765 Location: Hitchin, HERTS Tx: Sandy Heath
DougF wrote:

Bring back the good old RF lead into the back of the telly....but not the small screens, poor quality picture and audio and only 3 channels, obviously.
3 channels? You must be young. I can remember there being only 2.

Toppy: TF5800PVR/250 - Black, now 1TB WD10EURX
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmVrXp+BmC0CbFsIPsUUuWfZXl,
Loader: C5.14, Hardware: 1.01
TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; FontManager 1.0d; QuickJump 1.71; MhegOnOff(Now1) A3; EIT Sub v0.6; MyStuff 6.6
USB connected: SheevaPlug with Debian wheezy
Sig mostly from MyInfo on 26/10/09
alan_m
Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:37 am Reply with quote
birdman wrote:
DougF wrote:

We may have hundreds of channels now but there is only quality content to support 2 or 3.

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:52 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1707
birdman wrote:
DougF wrote:

Oh dear, my age is showing, I remember when I was at school, there was a boy whose parents had a TV. There was only one channel in those days. When I started work I built a TV from a Henry's Radio kit and later build a converter to pick up the second channel when it started.

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
Valiant
Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:17 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 19 May 2008 Posts: 296
Bizman wrote:
birdman wrote:
DougF wrote:

Oh dear, my age is showing, I remember when I was at school, there was a boy whose parents had a TV. There was only one channel in those days.

Luxury!

I grew up listening to the wireless.
I had a piece of string to play with.

Bloody Luxury!