Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  AV & other discussions  ~  Very simple IR-programmable remote

Page 1 of 1
albertd
Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jul 2010 Posts: 563
I am wondering about trying to get a programmable remote which can be programmed by pointing other remotes at it and squirting the required codes into it. Does such a thing exist?

Basically, what I want to be able to do is have a single remote which will turn my Panasonic TV on and off and control its volume and mute, while at the same time providing control of the play, stop and pause functions of my TF5800.

Many other functions would just cause confusion to my setup's other user who struggles with using the multiple remotes which we currently have (even just two of them!).

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jan 2008 Posts: 432
You used to be able to get a simple "learning remote" where you tell each button what to do by teaching it from other remote(s) button(s). They're were cheap, but can be tedious to set up. You hardly ever see these now. You might find one in Poundland.

You can get easier to set up ones which (mostly) already know the codes for your kit and have the concept of switching between multiple devices on the one remote. To my mind this is barely better than having multiple remotes, it's just tidier on the sofa.

Many of those have evolved into being intelligent about realising that certain buttons should be directed at certain pieces of kit, removing the need to switch between device modes. Some of these can learn additional button codes. One4All, John Lewis, and others do something like this.

The you can have fancy ones like One4All Xsight and Logitech Harmony which have the concept of "activities" (Watch TV, Watch Blu-ray, Listen To Radio, etc.) where it can power the devices on & off and set inputs etc, and you can configure each button as you wish within a given activity. This is like a multiple-function version of what you are asking for. They generally don't need to learn codes (although they can) and use an on-line set-up system which defaults to mostly what you want without having to specify everything. They are relatively expensive though and can be a bit daunting to set up.

I use an older model Harmony because I have several different bits of kit and assorted customised buttons. I recently tentatively suggested a friend should look at them and, despite getting frustrated with the configuration tool because his set-up was a little unconventional, got it set up to his liking with my help. His wife was delighted with the simplicity of the end result.

If you really only ever watch TV using the Toppy and never do anything else (DVD player, TV without Toppy, games console, etc.) then I'd suggest a Harmony is over the top. Otherwise they are really good when set up properly.

albertd
Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Laser.

As I may not have made clear, I am not looking to replace the various remotes which we have for my own use, but my partner never uses them on her own as she cannot cope with them, even in the simplest way.

A simple remote which does only what I described above could be helpful, even though not controlling all functions.

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3484
albertd wrote:
Thanks Laser.

As I may not have made clear, I am not looking to replace the various remotes which we have for my own use, but my partner never uses them on her own as she cannot cope with them, even in the simplest way.

A simple remote which does only what I described above could be helpful, even though not controlling all functions.

such as....
http://tinyurl.com/ooeald4

Try looking at web sites aimed at the disabled and web sites related to common old age disorders. They often sell minimalist phones/remotes etc. for those who cannot cope with the tiny buttons on modern equipment and/or for those who now find technology confusing.

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:12 pm Reply with quote
alan_m wrote:
such as....http://tinyurl.com/ooeald4
Thanks Alan that looks like just what I am looking for, if it is still available.

If I can program the upper part from the TV remote and the lower part from the Toppy remote that would do exactly what I want.

Last edited by albertd on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 May 2008 Posts: 403
I have a couple of Philips simple remotes that I set up for my late father so that the downstairs one operated the downstairs TV and the upstairs one the upstairs TV, both in exactly the same way: I took them apart and put plastic stickers over the contacts of all of the buttons I didn't want to function (such as AV). They are not learning ones, but I can dig them out if any use to you.

TAPs: QuickJump 1.72; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; QuickBlank 0.2; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.5; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MHEG On/Off A3; (Start Channel LCN);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 14/3/12
TV=Panasonic TX-32DT2 IDTV (32" CRT via CVBS-SCART), Tx: Sutton Coldfield. "My other PVR is a TiVo".
albertd
Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:51 am Reply with quote
Thank you Chris, I have no way of knowing if they would work with the TV and the Toppy at the same time.

For now, I have ordered the one which Alan suggested, it is not that expensive so not a great loss if it is no go and excellent if it does the job.

I will report back when I have had a chance to play with it.

Posted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
After a bit of delay in delivery due to them being out of stock, I got one of these http://tinyurl.com/ooeald4 as suggested by Alan and it works a treat.

Using the existing remotes to program it, I have the power and volume buttons controlling the TV as well as the AV button operating its mute. All the white buttons control the Toppy with their normal functions and I have programmed the two grey channel buttons to be the up and down arrow buttons on the Toppy.

That covers all that I need to have for this purpose.

Thanks again Alan for your suggestion.