<  AV & other discussions  ~  Options for toppy replacement

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
leshay
Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2005 Posts: 383
nwood wrote:
Les, thank you. Another alternative to check out Shocked

So can VIX provide the kind of features that are useful for freeview/freesat in the UK (7-day EPG, one click series record, auto-filing of recordings, advert skipping, ...) that I'd hate to lose, as a longtime Toppy+MyStuff user.

And do you find the Gigablue Quad Plus to be as responsive as the 5800? I'm not saying the 5800 is that snappy, but I've tried even more sluggish boxes in the past. I'm looking at you, Humax.

Hi
I would have to say that the VIX series recording is somewhat hit or miss. It is a little cumbersome to use, certainly not a patch on MyStuff. I have had it miss recordings altogether in a series despite there being *no* clashes involved and I needed to set a manual timer to get the episode (it's favorite 'miss' is Thursdays Newsnight - don't ask?)

There is a means to auto-file recordings, but it too is somewhat cumbersome and needs a bit of lateral thinking to manage to get it set up - and that is for every auto-file that you want, not something global.

Responsiveness, well, most of the time everything is responsive, but if/when the dreaded AutoTimers decides to do a scan then all bets are off, this is about the most prehistoric piece of software ever written. It takes over the whole of the spare processor time and makes all other UI interaction a real pain. Thankfully, these scans are only a few seconds (maybe up to 20/30), and autoscans can be tailored to occur more/less frequently as necessary.

Advert skipping is only available using the skip buttons (similar to the Toppy), and there are 3 (+ plus) skips that can be tailored to suit with 3 (-minus) skips also (they follow the + skip settings but are the negatives)

This Xmas I plan on asking Santa for MyStuff to be ported to these boxes Smile

Last edited by leshay on Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

nwood
Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Mar 2006 Posts: 348 Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Les, thanks again.

Oh dear, well, maybe I'd be better off with something more plug-and-play for Freeview HD (Freesat was really just future-proofing). I'm afraid my wife would demonstrate a very short fuse, if a Toppy replacement was much harder to use. And woe betide any box that decided to miss an episode of Strictly.

Maybe I'll skip HD altogether, and jump directly from SD to 4k.

The search ... continues Rolling Eyes

gomezz
Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:53 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3985 Location: Buckingham
nwood wrote:
And woe betide any box that decided to miss an episode of Strictly
Is that the such a problem these days with the ubiquity of catch up services such as iPlayer? I can't imagine even the most dedicated archival completest bothering with SCD?

nwood
Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:20 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Mar 2006 Posts: 348 Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
gomezz wrote:
nwood wrote:
And woe betide any box that decided to miss an episode of Strictly
Is that the such a problem these days with the ubiquity of catch up services such as iPlayer? I can't imagine even the most dedicated archival completest bothering with SCD?

You're preaching to the converted.
We have access to iPlayer, but not through the TV.
She prefers to watch TV on the ... err ... TV.

juwlz
Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
nwood wrote:
You're preaching to the converted.
We have access to iPlayer, but not through the TV.
She prefers to watch TV on the ... err ... TV.
There are plenty of cheap ways to achieve that. Or things that don't primarily do catchup, but include it as an aside (like Playstations, etc).

An Amazon Fire TV stick is one self-contained option that'll do the job for 35. Or a Now TV box will do it for 15.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
nwood
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Julie, thanks.

Unfortunately our broadband speed isn't adequate either.

juwlz
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
It won't be any worse on a TV than on a PC Smile

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012