Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  AV & other discussions  ~  Options for toppy replacement

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
malc
Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 May 2005 Posts: 1377 Location: chippenham
My toppy has been unchanged for years now. If it works then why fix it? I use the jump to skip adverts. The archive replacement to pretty up the GUI. The automatic timers/search. It's networked so I can pull off files when I get short of space.

But of course the toppy is only SD so sooner or later I'm going to have to find a HD replacement, when I upgrade to HD TV I guess.

Could have suggestions as to what might suit as a replacement. Maybe if people could post what they use for Freeview HD and how it compares. That is:

Jump Y/N
Network Y/N
Automatic timers/search Y/N
Nice GUI Y/N
Quiet Y/N
Fanless Y/N
Cost

Maybe we could also cover XBMC etc. although I lean towards something off-the-shelf as it would work out of the box. Still worth considering as maybe there is nothing like the toppy off-the-shelf. I'd also think that HTPC would cost more.

At one time I did think that it sounded a good idea to get everything on one box, PVR, Netflix, etc. but the moment you add netflix then you add windows as netflix doesn't work on linux. And for less than the cost of windows you can get a roku which sorts all the internet channels for you.

(could we have this a sticky thread? I'd hope this thread would be useful reference for upgrading toppy owners)

leshay
Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2005 Posts: 383
Hi
Have you noticed this thread here:
http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20627&highlight=

it gives some answers.

Bizman
Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:21 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1707
A Google search of the forums will reveal lots of similar discussions. Rolling Eyes

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
malc
Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I did a search but a lot of threads are old. For example the humux fox t2 which has the option of custom firmware (sounds like something needed for a toppy replacement) is not the current humax on sale.

The thread on the Miraclebox I thought was out of date too since when I followed the link it said Miraclebox out of stock. I now realise that it didn't mean no longer sold, just demand too high.

I still think we could do with a sticky thread or maybe Nigel could do a page with the options.

Bizman
Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1707
malc wrote:
I did a search but a lot of threads are old.
I take your point here.
Quote:
I still think we could do with a sticky thread or maybe Nigel could do a page with the options.
Agreed, but even if Nigel were to make a page available, the information would need to be properly researched and supplied by someone else.

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
alan_m
Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3484
malc wrote:
I did a search but a lot of threads are old. For example the humux fox t2 which has the option of custom firmware (sounds like something needed for a toppy replacement) is not the current humax on sale.

The thread on the Miraclebox I thought was out of date too since when I followed the link it said Miraclebox out of stock. I now realise that it didn't mean no longer sold, just demand too high.

The Miraclebox is only just one of a number of similar boxes sold by suppliers such as World of Satellite. They can all run the same images (software) but have different specifications. Some boxes can only be fitted with one tuner but other can have four. Some have better audio capabilities that are suited to HD terrestrial TV.

BTW, Out of the box the Toppy wasn't a good machine. It relies on customer generated patches/TAPs to keep it out of landfill and to make it a much better machine.

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:16 am Reply with quote
Yep I know the toppy is only good with the taps and the custom firmware. I've had it since 2005 so seen quite a few changes.

Can you add some detail to your post or point towards some useful pages? That is, any reviews that compare the different boxes? What should I look for for HD terrestial TV (I'm not interested in sat at this time although who knows in the future).

It's useful to know the software is all the same so the features of miracle box, like autotimers, apply to all. I guess noise might vary between boxes which is unlikely to be specified.

GJM
Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Sep 2006 Posts: 254
Malc, have you made the leap from Topfield yet?

Model: TF5810PVR. Firmware: 5.15.09T - Sept 02-2010 - Transmitter: Durris. Taps - SecCache(UK) V0.4 * MPDisplayLITE V1.2 * Extend v1.7 * Font Manger 1.0d * EIT Sub (Game) v0.6 * EPG2MEI v0.96 * MHEG On/Off A3 * My Stuff 6.4 * My Info B5.6
malc
Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:23 pm Reply with quote
GJM wrote:
Malc, have you made the leap from Topfield yet?

Not yet.

Something like miraclebox is the way forward I reckon but TV is still SD so I guess that comes first. I reckon I might wait a bit until OLED comes down in price so stick with toppy and SD TV for a while longer. A lot of other stuff on my plate at the moment too.

nwood
Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Mar 2006 Posts: 348 Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
I've also just started to look at HD replacements for the 5800.

World of Satellite offer three alternatives, which seem to support both Freeview and Freesat, depending what tuner cards you plug in ...

Xtrend ET10000
Mutant HD2400
VU+ Duo2

There's a spec comparison here ...

http://wiki.openpli.org/comparison

... but if anyone already has one of these, I'd really like to hear how easy they are to use in UK. All these boxes support 3rd party firmware (OpenVix, for example), but so far I'm finding it difficult to find much useful information on their capabilities.

leshay
Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Hi

I have the Gigablue Quad Plus box, bought from World of Satellite, which isn't on your list but is essentially the same (they are all very similar in functionality).

I would say that there is a fairly steep learning curve, and there are many functions that are bizarre in their operation, such as their idea of 'bookmarks' for setting up a location for recording destinations. This, and a few other functions are weird in my way of thinking.

Having said that, now that I have had it for a while, I think it is a very useful and good box to use. Not a box that can easily be thought of as 'plug and go'.

I am using the VIX software, and hats off to the team behind it. In the main, they have produced a very usable system, though there remains a few minor issues that they appear not to be bothered fixing (such as: I have a Power Timer set up to switch the unit to deep standby if the unit is in normal standby for a period of time. This works as expected, but, it doesn't want to recognize that the user is back in control and wants to switch back to deep stand by after a recording unless user acknowledges a dialog box)

As you have noticed, there isn't much in the way of full operation manuals available. This could be because the system is designed to work across so many different setups/nationalities etc and also, is a constantly evolving system. If you provide a network connection, then software updates are easily applied, and sometimes occur almost daily. There is a basic manual available, which provides the merest simple instructions for the user.

The beauty of this box (and those in your list), is that once used to the system, you would likely find that you could set it up to suit almost any requirement you might have, Streaming to other rooms, saving recordings to anything/anywhere etc.

My original box had 2 sat tuners and 2 terrestrial tuners, giving the best of both worlds. But, because I hadn't recognized the fact that trees tend to grow upwards, I lost my terrestrial transmission line of sight and so now have 4 sat tuners. I have (as a test) successfully recorded 12 simultaneous programs (though the satellite equivalent of MUX'es does apply)

goodolpete
Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 Jan 2008 Posts: 190
Les,
probably a stupid question, but I presume that the sat tuners accept
any card such as BT Sport, and are not just freesat?

?
leshay
Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:28 pm Reply with quote
goodolpete wrote:
Les,
probably a stupid question, but I presume that the sat tuners accept
any card such as BT Sport, and are not just freesat?

Hi

I believe others are using a variety of providers cards, I only use Freesat myself. There seems to be a lot of posts on their (unfriendly) forum regarding cams and card use which I just ignore as I have no use for them.

nwood
Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Mar 2006 Posts: 348 Location: Bracknell, Berkshire
Les, thank you. Another alternative to check out Shocked

So can VIX provide the kind of features that are useful for freeview/freesat in the UK (7-day EPG, one click series record, auto-filing of recordings, advert skipping, ...) that I'd hate to lose, as a longtime Toppy+MyStuff user.

And do you find the Gigablue Quad Plus to be as responsive as the 5800? I'm not saying the 5800 is that snappy, but I've tried even more sluggish boxes in the past. I'm looking at you, Humax.

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4280
@nwood

Your signature shows that you are using MS 6.4 - if this si the case, I suggest you upgrade to MS 6.6. Amongst other things, this will give you my PruneEPG tap.
If you are already on MS 6.6 then check you have this tap installed (use TopManager Tools| Install Files or manually install from my web site)

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18