Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Replacing the current HDD with a larger 1TB HDD

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
k9oxon
Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 19 Aug 2005 Posts: 51 Location: Devon (Caradon Hill X'mttr)
Thanks. To be clear (in case there are different configurations of cables) that means the Mobo end goes into the adapter and the Slave connector into the mobo, cutting off the Primary connector

Ron

k9oxon
Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:29 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 19 Aug 2005 Posts: 51 Location: Devon (Caradon Hill X'mttr)
Sorry to be a nerd, does that mean the Slave connector goes to the motherboard? Ron

andyfras
Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:46 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3450
Yes.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
macmac
Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 24 Apr 2012 Posts: 117
Hi
So I'm starting to upgrade the HDD:

And I'm following the instructions at:
https://sites.google.com/site/juwlztoppy/Reference/replacing-your-hard-drive

I'm using TopManager:
Q: So how do I 'take a copy of /ProgramFiles' on the old drive ?

...is it: Snapshot/Take / Refresh ?

Thanks

?
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4377
Yes, use Snapshot| Take/Refresh.
This will create a new snapshot of everything in ProgramFiles.
Note: if you have already done this previously, it will just update the previous snapshot (you can have more than one snapshot if you rename the previous one in SnapShot| Compare/Recover). In this case, there is no need to rename the previous snapshot as you will still have a copy on the old toppy disk.

To put it back on the new disk, use SnapShot| Compare/Recover

So
1) Snapshot| Take/Refresh
2) old disk connected to pc
3) Use TopfHDRW to transfer recordings to new disk
4) Put new disk in toppy
5) SnapShot| Compare/Recover.

The above assumes that you can do step 3 in a single operation.

If this is not the case e.g. taking to long, replace the old drive in the toppy to do any required recordings. Then perform steps 1 to 5 (step 1 will ensure the latest MyStuff files have been collected; in step 3, only copy the newly added recordings).

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
tim_mawby
Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Hi, don't want to hijack the thread but was wondering if anyone had advice for using TopfHDRW with Windows 7 or 8 64 bit? I've got the Turbosat PATA/SATA converter and have plugged my new 1TB drive in and formatted it, then installed MyStuff 6.6. It all looks really good. Now I want to copy all of my old recordings off the old drive and put them on the new one. I have used TopfHDRW before, but it was years ago and I was on a Windows XP desktop and everything worked fine. Now I only have laptops, one with Win 7 64 and one with Win 8 64. I have taken both drives, the original and the new 1TB one, put them in USB caddies and plugged them into my laptop. I can see the caddy in device manager, and if I look at the properties I can see the hard drive under Hardware, but the drive never appears in Windows Explorer (I can't remember if this is normal or not). If I run TopfHDRW it just gives me the "I didn't find a Topfield PVR5000 hard drive" message.

Does TopfHDRW not work with Win 7/8 64 bit? Is my only option to get the old recordings off the Toppy through Altares (probably mean leaving it running every night for a week Very Happy ).

Thanks

Tim
ryclark
Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Posts: 1604 Location: Shropshire
TopfHDRW certainly works OK with Windows 7 32 or 64 bit. Windows Explorer won't see the drives as they are formatted differently from Windows ones. Hence the need for TopfHDRW.

?
tim_mawby
Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Embarassed I've only worked in IT for 21 years, so of course I missed the obvious!! I right clicked on the TopfHDRW icon, went to the compatibility tab and set it to run in XP SP3 mode with admin rights. It now works perfectly so one of those must have worked.
macmac
Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
tim_mawby wrote:
Embarassed I've only worked in IT for 21 years, so of course I missed the obvious!! I right clicked on the TopfHDRW icon, went to the compatibility tab and set it to run in XP SP3 mode with admin rights. It now works perfectly so one of those must have worked.

Hi, Tim,
I had a similar problem:
I connected both drives, ie:
a: original toppy HDD connected via a sata/ide adaptor to a USB port
b: new HDD (in my caddy) connected to a USB port

BUT: I found that I could only see the original toppy HDD,
in TopfHDRW's left window.

And in the right-hand window:
I couldn't see the new toppy HDD,
only my PC's regular drives !

So:
c: I had to copy them from the original toppy HDD, to the PC,
and later,
d: back from the PC to the New HDD,
after connecting it to the PC via the caddy and USB port

NB: I also found that I couldn't see the toppy HDD in TopfHDRW's left window,
UNLESS I had connected it to the PC, BEFORE opening TopfHDRW !

Q: So could you see both drives, and copy direct from the old to the new HDD in one go ?

I expect that you cant see both the new & old drives at the same time,
because TopfHDRW doesn't seem to allocate ID-drive letters to the IDE drives, only the toppy-name, so there would be no way of telling which drive was which, unless it gave them a prefix or suffix number, eg: (1) (2)

Last edited by macmac on Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:34 pm; edited 2 times in total

?
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4377
@macmac

TopfHDRW doesn't allocate ID-drive letters to the IDE (Toppy) drives because it can't use drive letters to access the disk (drive letters are allocated by windows when it detects a recognised file system). TopfHDRW has to use Physical disk access. TopMedic (under development) shows/uses the physical disk number (0 to 15) in the same way one would use drive letters.

The fact that you couldn't see the SATA disk may be down to the age of your pc and/or the operating system. For instance, I'm currently repairing a 1.5 TB disk for a member and, although TopMedic can see it on my XP system, when connected via a USB adapter, neither it nor TopfHDRW can read it.

I tried using an old Vista pc but this also can't read the disk when connected via the same USB adapter (indicating a problem with the adapter?). Connecting the SATA disk internally, the Vista pc can read it as long as one is running as administrator. However, neither TopMedic nor TopfHDRW can read anything above the 1 TB mark (this is possibly an issue with the bios although it does identify the disk as being SATAII so it should support the drive).

As I understand it, TopfHDRW is supposed to autodetect drives that are added as it is running (TopMedic currently needs them to be connected prior to running).

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
macmac
Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Geoff Bacon wrote:
...The fact that you couldn't see the SATA disk may be down to the age of your pc and/or the operating system. ...Geoff

Hi Geoff
Thanks for your informative reply.
But I'm not sure how that would be affecting my experience with TopfHDRW ?

Q: So is my experience the norm, or can you see both drives at once ?

I'm going to update my 5810 with a larger HDD, so it would be helpful if I could copy directly from the old to the new toppy HDD

My PC is a new build,
its OS is Windows 7,
my caddy works OK with this new SATA 1TB drive before it was formatted in the PVR.

And this new drive can be seen in
(the left window of) TopfHDRW, after it was formatted in the PVR.

So it seems that the new drive could not be seen in TopfHDRW's right-window,
because TopfHDRW wasn't designed to see SATA drives, (in its right window),
after they had been formatted by the toppy

Many thanks.

?
andyfras
Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I can confirm that TopfHDRW will work with SATA drives and will see both types (Toppy formatted) in the right hand window. I have done this several times with a variety of disks, although only with an XP netbook and Win2K desktop.

machare
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jun 2005 Posts: 114
Why does the IDE cable have to be used that way round? Is it an electrical consideration, or is it to do with the direction the cable comes out of the plugs, which is different at each end?

I have managed to order a 20cm cable which just has one connector, so I am wondering how I will get it to work - perhaps be trial and error.

TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: 5.13.65T 14/4/2009 +CwOtTd
TAPs: Power Manager v1.2; Jag's EPG v3.0 Beta 5 (Freeware Edition); PcControl X25a; MyInfo B5.6;
andyfras
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:38 pm Reply with quote
machare wrote:
Why does the IDE cable have to be used that way round? Is it an electrical consideration, or is it to do with the direction the cable comes out of the plugs, which is different at each end?

It's to do with the screens between each of the wires. The Toppy does not provide an earth for it, but the adapter does. The Toppy is designed for short 40 way IDE leads, not the 80 wire version that the adapters prefer.

machare
Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jun 2005 Posts: 114
Thank you Andy. I have ordered a 20cm cable with just two connectors which when I look closely are exactly the same at each end. So I hope it works when it comes.

TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: 5.13.65T 14/4/2009 +CwOtTd
TAPs: Power Manager v1.2; Jag's EPG v3.0 Beta 5 (Freeware Edition); PcControl X25a; MyInfo B5.6;