Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Topfield HD replacement Miraclebox

Page 42 of 43
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 41, 42, 43  Next
ChunkyBloke
Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 14 Jul 2006 Posts: 84
ccs wrote:
It would be handy if it could be remapped to play (currently selected) programme starting at the first marker.

I guess a harmony remote could do that.

..or just have a menu option to "always jump to first marker on playback if exists" (and then ask about resume) as 100% of the time that's what I'd use.

Is this an OpenVix thing or the underlying Enigma 2? Who do we ask and where? It seems a pretty trivial option to implement.

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:00 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 1765 Location: Hitchin, HERTS Tx: Sandy Heath
simonc wrote:
Imagine what a hoo hah there would be if Microsoft changed Excel so that page up and page down went sideways.
They changed it to use "The Ribbon" (or whatever the replacement for a menu-bar was called).

Toppy: TF5800PVR/250 - Black, now 1TB WD10EURX
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmVrXp+BmC0CbFsIPsUUuWfZXl,
Loader: C5.14, Hardware: 1.01
TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; FontManager 1.0d; QuickJump 1.71; MhegOnOff(Now1) A3; EIT Sub v0.6; MyStuff 6.6
USB connected: SheevaPlug with Debian wheezy
Sig mostly from MyInfo on 26/10/09
birdman
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:03 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 1765 Location: Hitchin, HERTS Tx: Sandy Heath
alan_m wrote:
They may be the pre/post padding markers based solely on the time the machine wakes up to record (fetches the new time from the transponder and/or the internet) and the time when the program is expected to start.
No, they are based on a change in the received signal.

TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; FontManager 1.0d; QuickJump 1.71; MhegOnOff(Now1) A3; EIT Sub v0.6; MyStuff 6.6
birdman
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:05 am Reply with quote
ccs wrote:
I'm 99% certain the markers are the epg start and finish times.
You can always read the source code....

birdman
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:10 am Reply with quote
ChunkyBloke wrote:
..or just have a menu option to "always jump to first marker on playback if exists" (and then ask about resume) as 100% of the time that's what I'd use.
What to do if you are already past the first such marker? Should that become a further option? Things are not always quite as simple as at first seems.
Quote:
Is this an OpenVix thing or the underlying Enigma 2? Who do we ask and where? It seems a pretty trivial option to implement.
The enigma2 is OpenVix. The underlying bit is the OE-Alliance.

jim-easterbrook
Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 Jan 2007 Posts: 125
I've had my Vu+ Duo2 just over a year and am beginning to get used to it. I recently bought a Synology NAS and have been having some fun getting the two working together.

I took the disc drive out of my old Toppy and copied all my recordings across to the NAS, then used rec2ts.php to convert them all to .ts files. With NAS mounted (via NFS and autofs) on the Duo2 I can play these files, but the file listing lacks basic program info. So I wrote a Python script (to run on my Linux box with the NAS mounted via NFS and autofs) to read the Toppy's MyStuff_RecordedInfo.dat file and generate the .ts.meta files the Duo2 needs.

If anyone would like a copy they're welcome to it. It's a bit rough and ready (it only needs to be run once) but does the job.

PS The "Reconstruct AP/SC" plugin can be used to generate the .ap and .sc files that allow jumping back and forwards with the number keys. Now all I'm missing is the accurate bookmarks.

TAPs: EIT Sub v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; Extend v1.7; Tap
Launcher 3.10; QuickJump 1.71; MyStuff 6.5; TF5000 Display v1.53; MyInfo B5.5;
Misc. Raspberry Pi + 250GB disc|Raspbian|ftpd-topfield
ccs
Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2537
EMJB beat you to it...?..

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21112&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

ccsx
jim-easterbrook
Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 Jan 2007 Posts: 125
Ah, but I don't do Windows. :)

TAPs: EIT Sub v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; Extend v1.7; Tap
Launcher 3.10; QuickJump 1.71; MyStuff 6.5; TF5000 Display v1.53; MyInfo B5.5;
Misc. Raspberry Pi + 250GB disc|Raspbian|ftpd-topfield
goodolpete
Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:07 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 Jan 2008 Posts: 190
I’ve been watching this thread since it’s start. Looking around now,
the only box that is pure freeview on WOS is the mutant hd51.
Reading another forum, the Zgemma H7 is praised a lot, but I’m
still looking to see if it fits my needs.
One question: is satellite generally better quality than terrestrial?

?
ChunkyBloke
Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:42 am Reply with quote
I'll leave the discussions about the merits of satellite to those that use it but you do have some other options for terrestrial from WOS.

The Vu+ Duo 2 can take 1 or 2 Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 tuners (so that's up to 4 tuners all of which are usable) : https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers/vu-plus/vu-plus-duo-2-duo2 (I have this configuration)

I also think that the VU+ Ultimo 4K can support those same tuner modules although it's not given as a configuration option on the product page - drop them an email to confirm this. https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers/vu-plus/vu-plus-ultimo4k-ultimo-4k

The Xtrend ET 8500 can also be configured with up to 4 terrestrial tuners and although not currently available at WOS, they can be found elsewhere. My father-in-law has one of these and is very pleased with it

Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:00 pm Reply with quote
The Xtrend ET 8500 can also be configured with up to 4
terrestrial tuners and although not currently available at WOS,
they can be found elsewhere.

I’ve been googling around for a while and not found one.
Have you anywhere in particular in mind for this?

?
ChunkyBloke
Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:26 pm Reply with quote
There were a few sellers on eBay selling brand new ET 8500 though a quick (and not very thorough) scan didn't show and specifically configured for terrestrial only.

hm-sat in Germany are still selling them (they have an English option on the website if your schoolboy German isn't up to scratch Wink) https://www.hm-sat-shop.de/en/xtrend/ You can choose your pre-configured option with up to 4 Terrestrial T2 tuners.

I'm sure I saw somewhere else selling them but I can't remember right now. As soon as the brain cell kicks into life I'll post again.

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:20 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3484
goodolpete wrote:
I’ve been watching this thread since it’s start. Looking around now,
the only box that is pure freeview on WOS is the mutant hd51.
Reading another forum, the Zgemma H7 is praised a lot, but I’m
still looking to see if it fits my needs.
One question: is satellite generally better quality than terrestrial?

I have both terrestrial (Freeview) and Satellite (Freesat) tuners in my box and 99% of my viewing and recording is via satellite. If I was buying again I probably wouldn’t bother with Freeview.

[Edit]
I would also change from a traditional LNB to the latest technology which are supported by many of the lastest boxes allowing many more simultaneous channls to be received/recorded by a single tuner module. Google FBC tuners and unicable LNB.
[/Edit]

Be aware that the Zgemma are cloned boxes and therefore are not supported by OpenVix which is the image most people in this thread are using. The version of Openvix they may come with will have been hacked and the start-up screen indicates that it is supported however if you ask any questions about this box or the image on the Openvix forums your post will immediately be blocked. It’s one of the T&C/rules that you sign up to when registering with the forum.

See rule 19
https://www.world-of-satellite.com/Forum-rules/

The Zgemma boxes are supported by other images but from my limited experience testing other images OpenVix is possibly the more user friendly.
If you are making your purchasing decisions based on what has been written about the image (software) in this thread bear this in mind. You will not find any OpenVix updates for a Zgemma box on the OpenVix site.

As for boxes don’t overlook that some boxes have two tuner slots each taking DUAL terrestrial tuners (4 tuners in total) such as the VU+ Duo 2. Also if the tuners are plug in and retailers such as World of Satellite are offering a box with a combination of terrestrial and satellite a quick phone call will get you a price for a terrestrial only combination. Some boxes don’t have plug in tuners – or may have one fixed inbuilt tuner and one or more tuner plug-in slot.

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:25 am Reply with quote
Thanks Alan, you’ve really helped me.

Be aware that the Zgemma are cloned boxes

Are Mag boxes clones as well?

?
alan_m
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:49 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3484
goodolpete wrote:
Thanks Alan, you’ve really helped me.

Be aware that the Zgemma are cloned boxes

Are Mag boxes clones as well?

No idea, but from a very quick google the seem to be boxes aimed at streaming TV over the internet (IPTV) rather than from a broadcast source such as freesat/freeview/free to air.

What do you want from a box? If its the ability to run an OpenVix image (software) as described a lot in this thread then you need a box that can support it. The list of supported boxes can be found at
http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/downloads/
The list of models for each manufacturer is one level of menus below.
These are Engima2 Linux based boxes with hardware optimised for recieving broadcast TV.

Note: there are other compatible images that can run on these boxes such as Open PLi, Open ATV. They each have their own web sites and forums.

If you are after just streaming TV over the Internet then the Enigma 2 boxes may/will have optional plug-ins to achieve this but also consider that a lot of cheap Android based boxes can do the same. WOS sell other boxes with Andriod based operating systems or in some cases dual boot (either Enigma2 OR Android - not both together)

Please note what I’ve written above are just general observations. Since buying my box I really haven’t researched what has come on to the market in the past few years.

Last edited by alan_m on Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total