Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Topfield HD replacement Miraclebox

Page 46 of 46
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46
JBD
Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 09 Sep 2006 Posts: 25
Cheers, I'm making progress, but I'm struggling to understand how OpenVix decides to do what it does...

@alan_m Thanks, I followed your instructions and happily it resulted in 1 recording. But.... in my case at least the recording was in SD (and we've all got a toppy that can do that..), so I tried to specify the HD Bouquet. For reason I don't understand it completely ignored this constraint. I therefore deleted the Autotimer and started again from the EPG, this time letting the search be restricted to Channel 4HD. Once more success. After the initial search I removed the Channel 4HD constraint and this time channel 4 (SD) +1 was added to the timer list. So, it's ignoring the 4seven and late night repeats but not the initial +1. Still, good progress!

@jim-easterbrook Thanks for the explanation, I'll have another look. I'd also noticed that existing timers aren't deleted automatically, but once manually removed stay removed. This (for me) makes understanding the timer logic somewhat harder. I've looked in the "timer.xml" file, but I guess there must also be an ignore (delete / disabled?) timer file somewhere, but I can't find it.

The reason I'm keen to get a better understanding of all this is because I (also) wanted to record the Simpsons, but here are so many repeats, recordings and channels I couldn't track what was happening!

alan_m
Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:17 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3536
JBD wrote:
Cheers, I'm making progress, but I'm struggling to understand how OpenVix decides to do what it does...

@alan_m Thanks, I followed your instructions and happily it resulted in 1 recording. But.... in my case at least the recording was in SD (and we've all got a toppy that can do that..), so I tried to specify the HD Bouquet. For reason I don't understand it completely ignored this constraint.

Maybe it could be the double save after changing an Autotimer.
You press Green to OK the individual Autotimer and Green again in the Autotimer list to confirm the change.

If you delete an autotimer you should be given the option of also deleting all the timers it generated.

Quote:

I therefore deleted the Autotimer and started again from the EPG, this time letting the search be restricted to Channel 4HD. Once more success. After the initial search I removed the Channel 4HD constraint and this time channel 4 (SD) +1 was added to the timer list. So, it's ignoring the 4seven and late night repeats but not the initial +1. Still, good progress!

I'm not sure why you had this however I don't tend to edit a autotimer a second time.

Maybe
When in the Autotimer list press the menu button
From the popup menu select option 6 - setup
Scroll down to "Allow double timer for different services"
Read the help paragraph at the bottom of the screen.
Simultaneous records may include overlapping recordings beacuse of the pre/post padding?????

When set up initailly to only check one channel you can add others later in the setup

If you want the autotimer to also check on another HD channel scroll to the last option in the second screen, second page and press BLUE (Edit Services) and then press Blue again (new) and select a second HD channel form one of your Bouquets
You now have two channels from which the Autotimers will search. You can repaet this for as many channels you wish to search.

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:58 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2656
@JBD The particular program you're referring to is only broadcasting series 5(?) at the moment, all you need it to default everything in the autotimer on the HD channel, and you'll get a single recording.

When I tried out description searches last week, (any channel, any day, any time) it all worked ok, but it chose the SD version when an HD channel was available.
I couldn't see how to force HD when available.

ccsx
JBD
Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 09 Sep 2006 Posts: 25
Cheers,

Quote:
If you want the autotimer to also check on another HD channel scroll to the last option in the second screen, second page and press BLUE (Edit Services) and then press Blue again (new) and select a second HD channel form one of your Bouquets
You now have two channels from which the Autotimers will search. You can repeat this for as many channels you wish to search.

A neat trick - I'll absorb that one!

Quote:
@JBD The particular program you're referring to is only broadcasting series 5(?) at the moment, all you need it to default everything in the autotimer on the HD channel, and you'll get a single recording.

Agreed. I guess I'm still hoping that some cunning setting will allow Openvix to get close to MyStuff . . .

Quote:
When I tried out description searches last week, (any channel, any day, any time) it all worked ok, but it chose the SD version when an HD channel was available.
I couldn't see how to force HD when available

Glad it's not just me!

If I may ask, how have you sussed all of this. I've looked at at the various on-screen help statements (that to be fair are pretty good), but getting to them is like navigating a labyrinth - I don't know the option is there until I've stumbled upon it.

EMJB
Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:09 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3645 Location: Maldon Essex
EMJB wrote:
An issue arising from lack of user documentation (that I have found!) is that the default time for retaining information on recordings made, watched and then deleted is short (1 week compared with MyStuff's 6 months, IIRC). Unless this is increased, this causes havoc with channels such as Yesterday with multiple repeats and overlapping series. The relevant setting is called "Remove Completed Timers after (days)" in the Recording & Playback menu, so is not obviously connected to the AutoTimer operation.

I have noticed that the time to wake up fully from deep standby has gradually been increasing, to the point where the beginnings of programmes were only just being recorded in spite of 2 minutes pre-padding. Eventually I traced this to an enormous (80 MB!!) pm-timers.xml file, which contains logging information for the power timers. For some reason that is not obvious to me, the log entries are retained for the "Remove Completed Timers after (days)" parameters, though I find it very difficult to imagine how one would ever want that information for 4 months ago (the max parameter value). My AutoDeepStandby timer was the main problem, creating vast numbers of entries. I have changed this to a fixed few days, but deleting and recreating the AutoDeepStandby power timer occasionally should avoid any problems for anyone who has set this parameters to a high value.

EMJB

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:58 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5642 Location: Cheltenham
That might be something to suggest is moved into separate configuration.

Loading the standard timers.xml during boot is also slow when the retention period is long, as is populating the timers list as by default it shows all the retained completed timers. Utterly useless in normal usage as once something has recorded it's in the "movie list"
EMJB
Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3645 Location: Maldon Essex
simonc wrote:
Loading the standard timers.xml during boot is also slow when the retention period is long, as is populating the timers list as by default it shows all the retained completed timers.
Agreed, but insignificant compared with the 80 Mbyte pm-timers.xml file I had.

simonc wrote:
Utterly useless in normal usage as once something has recorded it's in the "movie list"
It is my understanding that the movie list only includes recordings currently held on disc, in which case if you rely on this it will re-record repeats if you adopt my policy of deleting recordings soon after watching them. Mildly irritating in the case of the usual main channel repeats within a week, but nasty for channels such as Yesterday where there can be weeks been showings. Or have I misunderstood how it works?

EMJB

Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5642 Location: Cheltenham
I'm thinking more along the lines of it keeping the details for de-duping, but not displaying them in the timerlist. I really don't need to see that something recorded 4 months ago, and finding it even if I did wouldn't be easy!