Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Topfield HD replacement Miraclebox

Page 45 of 46
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 44, 45, 46  Next
ccs
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2656
alan_m wrote:
It's quite easy to check how it works by selecting a programme (with only one episode) that is endlessly repeated on a channel such as PBS America.

Set an Autotimer to record the program with “Require description to be unique = Any service/recording” and it will only set a timer once. The timer does not have to have been completed for all the other occurrences in the 7 day EPG to be ignored.

After just completing the timer/recording for this programme the expired timer can be deleted from the history (timer list clean-up) and the autotimer also deleted. Selecting the next transmission of the programme again from the EPG and initiating an Autotimer again with “Require description to be unique = Any service/recording” results in no further timers being set for this programme. This indicates that Autotimers are not only checking existing and expired timers but also in the location for previously recorded programmes.

Thanks for that. I'm surprised it goes to such lengths to check the movie list for matches, quite an overhead if there are lots of recordings and folders.
Keeping finished timers somewhere else would be better??

As I've said before, I've never needed/used the feature but I'm tempted to have a play.
It might be a way of me checking if I've already recorded Lewis, say, when it's next broadcast, as I'm already way behind on some series.

I guess that once a recording and timer have been deleted, no record will exist anymore, so timers will be created again.

ccsx
alan_m
Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:04 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3536
ccs wrote:

Thanks for that. I'm surprised it goes to such lengths to check the movie list for matches, quite an overhead if there are lots of recordings and folders.
Keeping finished timers somewhere else would be better??

Surely mo more of an overhead than checking for episodes on a toppy?

If a recording on an Enigma2 box is placed in a dedicated folder for a particular series then the only check has to be in that one folder detailed in the specific autotimer setup (and in the timer folder)

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:39 pm Reply with quote
alan_m wrote:

Surely mo more of an overhead than checking for episodes on a toppy?

The toppy stores all recorded program details in a single file, ViX in potentially hundreds of files, so I reckon it is likely to be a bigger overhead unless it somehow groups the details together.

alan_m wrote:
If a recording on an Enigma2 box is placed in a dedicated foleder for a particular series then the only check has to be in that one folder detailed in the specific autotimer setup (and in the timer folder)

I'll give this a try.

Some repeats are now including Series and Episode details (S3,E4) when they weren't included in the original broadcast, does this mess things up?

ccsx
alan_m
Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:06 pm Reply with quote
ccs wrote:

Some repeats are now including Series and Episode details (S3,E4) when they weren't included in the original broadcast, does this mess things up?

It can do but in my experience it's not that common for a repeat to be recorded.

Maybe the other thing to watch is the repeats with the bloke in the foreground waving his hands. These too can have a slightly different description but could be avioded by limiting the search to, say, 8am to 12pm as these repeats are usually broadcast early in the morning.

Consider also that CRID is not foolproof especially when recording some of the minor channels.

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I've given it a go, short description checks look fine, but full descriptions generate clashes.

Really large hits (NCIS) show the spinner, this single autotimer takes a lot longer to process than my usual 25 or so.

Small hits, despite selecting every channel, every day, any time, are quick.

If set, custom location is only used to check for recorded programs, possibly speeding up the process a bit.
If not set, any recording hits in "custom location" are not found.

One surprising thing, the disc doesn't spin up when I force autotimer to run, so there must be some clever caching done to optimise the code.

ccsx
EMJB
Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3645 Location: Maldon Essex
ccs wrote:
I've given it a go, short description checks look fine, but full descriptions generate clashes.

Again an example of where some user information would be useful - there are no "full descriptions" on Freeview, and somewhat oddly when nothing is compared with nothing the result is that they do not match (something I have changed for my use).

EMJB

Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:11 pm Reply with quote
EMJB wrote:

Again an example of where some user information would be useful - there are no "full descriptions" on Freeview,

With over the air epg this true BUT that is not the only way of obtaing the EPG. As with the Toppy and collecting additional RT information via the Internet OpenVix also has the ability to collect EPG data from other sources. Although I don't use the EPG from the Internet and cannot confirm what it contains it may have an extended description that would work with the long description option.

I've always considered the programme description broadcast on Freeview and Freesat to be the "short description" and set my repeat episode search options accordingly.

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:08 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 Jan 2007 Posts: 127
alan_m wrote:

Maybe the other thing to watch is the repeats with the bloke in the foreground waving his hands. These too can have a slightly different description but could be avioded by limiting the search to, say, 8am to 12pm as these repeats are usually broadcast early in the morning.

I add a filter to my auto-timers (using the web interface). Exclude -> in Shortdescription -> \[.*SL.*\]. This is regular expression syntax for "SL" anywhere in square brackets.

TAPs: EIT Sub v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; Extend v1.7; Tap
Launcher 3.10; QuickJump 1.71; MyStuff 6.5; TF5000 Display v1.53; MyInfo B5.5;
Misc. Raspberry Pi + 250GB disc|Raspbian|ftpd-topfield
JBD
Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 09 Sep 2006 Posts: 25
People seem to be having more luck than me preventing recording the same thing twice (or more)! If the dropbox link https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iypogcebd9t51aq/AAAaC_cpy1q1eGy1aD7yDBcca?dl=0 works you can hopefully see the auto timer and results for "How to Lose Weight Well". I've selected "any service/recording" for the required description to be unique, but as you can see it's still finding 6 instances to record the same episode.

Putting "SL]" as exclude in the short description cuts 2 (I couldn't get Jim's wildcard trick to work either....), but that's still 3 recordings more than I want!

Any pointers as to what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers,

Jon

ccs
Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:16 pm Reply with quote
… works ok for me.

You just need to set "Check for uniqueness in" to ….. Title and Short Description.

The OpenWebif interface doesn't show everything - maybe post a screenshot of edit autotimer via the GUI.

Last edited by ccs on Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

ccsx
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4548
@JBD

I'm guessing your filter only removed entries ending in "SL]" i.e. it didn't remove entries which had an SL somewhere else in side the square brackets

Did you try the full "\[.*SL.*\]"?

Assuming it is like MS Word, the \ forces the following character (here [ or ]) and the * matches any string of characters. I'm not sure what the dot (.) does; try removing them

Geoff
Can't try it myself - I 'm still using toppies

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
JBD
Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies. I've added a couple of screen captures from the GUI. The Check for uniqueness apparently defaults to "Title and all descriptions" . I've had a play and set it to "Title and Short description", but the result is the same.

I acknowledge that a work around is to restrict to specific services, days, times etc, but I was hopeful that OpenVix would be clever enough to help me out. I must have something set-up differently compared to CCS, but what?!

I've also had a Google around to try and find some documentation for the Autotimers, but alas I've had no success.

JBD
Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I've just looked again, and there is an unpleasant error notification on the screen - I've no idea what it means!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mpblen5y2up3wfw/Auto%20Timer%20Error.jpg?dl=0

alan_m
Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:59 pm Reply with quote
ccs wrote:
… works ok for me.

You just need to set "Check for uniqueness in" to ….. Title and Short Description.

The OpenWebif interface doesn't show everything - maybe post a screenshot of edit autotimer via the GUI.

I think that is the problem. The Web Interface (Webif)f doesn't allow all options to be set. (The new web interface seems even worse in that it doesn't correctly display what has been set up in existing autotimers)

I've just searched my epg for "New:How to lose weight well" and the search found 6 off occurrences of the same episode on various satellite and terrestrial channels. From the EPG on the box I configured an autotimer (without limiting bouquets or channels - it had the choice of any of the 6 same episodes). This resulted in one timer being set (5 occurrences of the episodes being rejected)

See images of the autotimer configured on the box and the display of the same autotimer in the (old) Web Interface

http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/autotimer/

If you want to check setting an autotimer on the box first delete the existing autotimer and associated timers:-
Menu -> Timers -> Autotimers -> highlight "how to lose weight well"
Press yellow to delete
From the menu that appears select "Yes , and delete all timers generated by this autotimer"

IMPORTANT press green to save (save the action you just done to delete the autotimer)

Maybe reboot the box (hold down the on/off button and select reboot from the pop up menu)

Go to your graphical EPG
Select any programme
Press Yellow to search
Ignore the results
Press Yellow again for a new search
Type in the search phrase
You should then get all occurrences of the programme
Highlight one occurance and press blue (Add Autotimer)
In the first menu screen deselect
Match Timespan
Only on Weekdaty
Only on Service

(this final option can be set to one channel to filter out repeats on other channels but for this test allow the Autotimer to search all channels)

Press green

Set the options the same as in my web link above

Press green to save.

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 Jan 2007 Posts: 127
Geoff Bacon wrote:

Did you try the full "\[.*SL.*\]"?

Assuming it is like MS Word, the \ forces the following character (here [ or ]) and the * matches any string of characters. I'm not sure what the dot (.) does; try removing them

It's a "regular expression". Dot matches any character, * matches any number of the previous item, so ".*" matches anything. The \ "escapes" [ and ] as they have special meanings in regular expressions.

Note that after you've modified an auto-timer it doesn't remove timers it set that no longer match. But it shouldn't reinsert them after you've manually deleted them.

TAPs: EIT Sub v0.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; Extend v1.7; Tap
Launcher 3.10; QuickJump 1.71; MyStuff 6.5; TF5000 Display v1.53; MyInfo B5.5;
Misc. Raspberry Pi + 250GB disc|Raspbian|ftpd-topfield