Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Topfield HD replacement Miraclebox

Page 4 of 46
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
simonc
Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:14 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5642 Location: Cheltenham
Keep the videos coming, they are most definitely useful. I'm looking forward in particular to seeing what the UI looks and feels like. Is it modeless in the same was that MyStuff is? The ability to flick between EPG/Archive/Timers/Searches with a single button press is one of the best things about Toppy+MyStuff.

What's displayed on the front panel VFD during use? Another massive plus with the Toppy is that you can see what channel is being watched or how far through the playback of a recording you are.

The price seems most affordable too - I'm almost tempted regardless; even with hard drive, it's cheaper than the 5800 was in 2005 and that's without taking account of inflation.
morrijr
Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:41 am Reply with quote
sarahstaar wrote:
Just made a video showing the web interface for the miraclebox

http://youtu.be/ijWJ8qXt_ek

You shouldn't be able to reach an internal IP address from 'outside' your house (WIFI excepted Wink) unless you've got IP forwarding setup on your router.

Which isn't to say that a password on the site shouldn't be there though Smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_forwarding

Nice set of videos though - I'm tempted too!
captaincornflake
Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 02 Dec 2007 Posts: 38 Location: Warwickshire, UK
Seriously tempted. The main thing hiding me back is the lack of documentation / screenshots. Even though you've only touched on some of the basics it's still way ahead of material I've found elsewhere

When you get NAS recording setup, I'd be interested to know what format the recordings are saved in (and the filename format). Just wondering about sharing the recordings over uPNP.

Also I've seen mention of streaming services, but no detail of what's available. If you have any findings on that subject it would be appreciated too.

Keep up the good work, if it's as promising as it looks you should maybe be asking world of satellite for commission!

?
Bizman
Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1707
captaincornflake wrote:
Seriously tempted. The main thing hiding me back is the lack of documentation / screenshots.

Explore the website here for more info.

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
leshay
Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2005 Posts: 383
Hi

I too find the lack of good information the main block to just jumping in.

Some of the information is also confusing. Such as:

Miraclebox Premium Twin HD has two built-in (changeable) tuners to [record one channel while watching another. Connect an internal, external or network hard drive to get the Timeshift and recording opportunities. You can record up to 7 channels simultaneously!

Now, I don't really need to record 7 channels at the same time, but, I really would need at least the same as the Toppy in this regard - record 2 and watch third from shared MUX, which the quote above seems to dispel.

alan_m
Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3536
I'm also very tempted.

How does the box handle searches for series?
If it doesn't do Freeview series linking do the text searches extend longer than the 7 day EPG - does it search as new data enters the EPG ,say, 8 days, a month or a year later?

How does it handle the endless repeats and only record one occurrence.

With a Toppy I always found Neighbours the program with which to test. It's repeated on more than one channel, it has two different episodes a day, one of which is the repeat the next day, and there is an omnibus that may also be repeated. Neighbours is also a good test because it's on channels notorious for getting program information incorrect or failing to provide a proper program description.

Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2007 Posts: 41 Location: London UK
just made a full video review,

http://youtu.be/DMUwpe2IO0c
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
alan_m
Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3536
leshay wrote:

Now, I don't really need to record 7 channels at the same time,

You can probably record all the channels on the same MUX(s) that the tuner is tuned into. There was an (experimental) TAP for the Toppy that recoded a whole MUX. The disadvantage in the days of a 160G drive was that you could fill up the hard disk very quickly.

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=115089#115089

Recording 7 channels at once may indicate the actual data rate the box can handle (I assume to an internal hard disk and possibly SD broadcasts) but not necessarily something you would want to do. I also assume (but do not know) that if the box can handle 7 recordings at a time it shouldn't have any trouble writing 2 and reading 1 to/from a disk.

Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1544
Whether the MB can match MyStuff in terms of searching and clash resolution etc, is probably the only real query for me too. I suspect it does enough, if not exactly the same.

However, I see there is also a Premium Mini, for 60 less. I am almost certain to order this with T2 and S2 tuners. As long as it is confirmed that it has the web interface, which I'm pretty sure it does, even if if I don't like the UI, it can sit in the bedroom performing recording duties and the like. If I do like it, it will be handy to have the one interface to both Freesat and Freeview.
Darucla
Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1544
alan_m wrote:

Recording 7 channels at once may indicate the actual data rate the box can handle (I assume to an internal hard disk and possibly SD broadcasts) but not necessarily something you would want to do. I also assume (but do not know) that if the box can handle 7 recordings at a time it shouldn't have any trouble writing 2 and reading 1 to/from a disk.

I am of the belief that you can add extra (USB) tuners to these devices as well as having the ability to record more channels in the same mux. I'll probably have one soon, and should be able to confirm.

I'm going to stop looking in on this forum. It often costs me money. Rolling Eyes
Bizman
Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Darucla wrote:
However, I see there is also a Premium Mini, for 60 less. I am almost certain to order this with T2 and S2 tuners. As long as it is confirmed that it has the web interface, which I'm pretty sure it does, even if if I don't like the UI, it can sit in the bedroom performing recording duties and the like. If I do like it, it will be handy to have the one interface to both Freesat and Freeview.
You can compare features at
http://www.miraclebox.se/uploads/Miraclebox_Table_Mar2014_en.pdf

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
sarahstaar
Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2007 Posts: 41 Location: London UK
i recorded 9 channels at the same time whilst watching a hd recording, i showed this in my video review, see above...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
leshay
Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2005 Posts: 383
Hi
Just watched your latest video. Very impressive in many many respects, and, also explains about the '7 simultaneous recordings' point I queried above.

Still some confusion however. If it can do that, then presumably setting Timers to do do similar must be possible? At least, I would have thought, within the restrictions of MUX spread.

As you mentioned, perhaps using a Networked HDD would impose some constraints due to network speeds - your 9 recordings to your internal HDD may only be possible without the network speed considerations.

Still, so far, very impressive. I am getting closer to the credit card all the time Smile

I am looking forward to your next installment.

shenson
Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 570
I'm very tempted too. Unless some major flaw becomes apparent I'll probably get one based on what it can do so far.

I wonder if it reliably records 9 programmes at once or starts missing frames. Be interested to know if there is a limit with slower storage (e.g. NAS) or you only notice a problem when the recordings are corrupted.

I'm also curious as to whether you can power on the box remotely e.g. using wake up on lan both from standby or deep sleep mode.

I especially like the fact its open source and runs Linux which leaves a lot of potential for community bug fixes/updates. It's amazing what was done with the Toppy with closed source firmware.

There's presumably some way to telnet/ssh into the box. Be good if linux apps from a standard distro could be added too from some kind of package manager.

Last edited by shenson on Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bizman
Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I am still undecided on which model to choose and which firmware option to select. I could accept the factory default and reflash it later if necessary and I need WiFi built in and T2 tuners.