<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Topfield HD replacement Miraclebox

Page 2 of 44
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 42, 43, 44  Next
sarahstaar
Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 17 Jan 2007 Posts: 41 Location: London UK
Miraclebox Premium Hard drive install video

http://youtu.be/QDf8EM30gbc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sarahstaar
Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
been having a problem, i have not been able to exit any menus and the down key on the remote is not working??

I think my remote is not working, a red light on the top right hand side lights up when you press a key.

The red light is not coming on when i press,

the down key
exit
menu

not a good sign,

the box is unusable at the moment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ccs
Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2582
I've found a copy of the manual here if anyone else wants to join in.

ccsx
sarahstaar
Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
sarahstaar wrote:
been having a problem, i have not been able to exit any menus and the down key on the remote is not working??

I think my remote is not working, a red light on the top right hand side lights up when you press a key.

The red light is not coming on when i press,

the down key
exit
menu

not a good sign,

the box is unusable at the moment.

made another video showing the problem,

http://youtu.be/K82M7QGzOaM
ccs
Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
FAQ wrote:
Why can't I exit the menu?

The reason why you can't exit the menu is that the channellist is empty. You will have to either search for new channels or install a channellist by USB first.

ccsx
sarahstaar
Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:36 pm Reply with quote
yes but 3 keys on the remote are not working at all,

the down key
exit
menu

see video http://youtu.be/K82M7QGzOaM
ccs
Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:40 pm Reply with quote
DX wrote:
If you look at the business end of the remote via the LCD viewfinder of a digital camera you can see a flash when you press a button on the remote. You can also use a mobile phone camera in the same way.

Try first with a known working remote, say for the TV, so you know what to expect.

ccsx
sarahstaar
Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:17 am Reply with quote
they are sending me out a new remote, will have it tomorrow.
birdman
Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 1765 Location: Hitchin, HERTS Tx: Sandy Heath
ccs wrote:
I've found a copy of the manual here if anyone else wants to join in.
The Vix manual for it is:

http://www.openvix.co.uk/openvix-builds/Guides%20and%20Tutorials/VIX%20Manual%20Vs%201.1.pdf

Toppy: TF5800PVR/250 - Black, now 1TB WD10EURX
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmVrXp+BmC0CbFsIPsUUuWfZXl,
Loader: C5.14, Hardware: 1.01
TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; FontManager 1.0d; QuickJump 1.71; MhegOnOff(Now1) A3; EIT Sub v0.6; MyStuff 6.6
USB connected: SheevaPlug with Debian wheezy
Sig mostly from MyInfo on 26/10/09
andyfras
Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3452

It only seems to mention satellite reception.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
sarahstaar
Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I should be getting my new remote control in the post tomorrow so I?ll do a full video review then.

In the meantime I?ve discovered that the PVR actually has a web interface which is pretty cool, and part of the web interface is a remote control emulator. I have been using my PVR today using the web interface remote-control.

So far things look really good, I?ve done a full set up and scanned all the free view channels with no problem.

I set up my favourites which for some reason they call Bouquets?
The picture and sound quality is fantastic especially on the high definition channels.

The box seems to respond very quickly, and channel up and down response times are definitely faster than my old Topfield box.

I?ve recorded several programs today without any problems and also done several timer recordings with no problems and I?ve also done some serious search/auto timers.

So far everything is working fine.
The box seems to have several good EPG views.

The normal EPG grid view, you can list all the programs that up-and-coming today on each channel separately, you can also have a mini grid view via a lower third, and then scroll through the channels.

And there are a few others as well which I still need to investigate.
In the settings you can pad your timed recordings which is cool.

There is also quick jump facility, so you can fast forward the adverts with one button press, this is totally customisable.

There seems to be an endless amount of setup menus giving you a huge amount of possible settings, this is a really good sign, it makes a PVR very flexible.

The internal hard drive which I installed 1TB Toshiba MQ01ABD100 is working fine. All I did was go to hard drive settings and initialise and hard drive. It was ready to use in a matter of minutes very pain-free.

I haven?t yet set up my network drive it will be interesting to see how well things work when recording to my NAS.

I have however connected the Internet to the box via an ethernet cable. And everything is working as it should.

I managed to log onto the box on my laptop using a web browser simply by typing in the IP address of the PVR.

I was presented with a user interface which is really easy to use. You can view your current scheduled recordings, you can view the schedule/EPG set recordings, organise your favourites and a whole host of other things.

One core feature is in the EPG or channel list you can click on an icon and stream the live channel to your computer.

I can see this being useful when I?m away from home. Apparently there is an iPhone app for the set-top box as well, and an android app in development.

As I have a android phone so I guess I have to wait for the apt to be finished.

There seems to be a whole host of plug-ins which you can download, when you go to the plug-ins section the descriptions of the plug-ins seem very vague.

I will have to go to the forum to find out what the different plug-ins are about before I download any to test.

The box has been switched on for 24 hours now and so far it has not crashed so that?s a good sign.

I definitely think this is finally a Topfield PVR replacement, although the EPG is not as good as mystuff.

Maybe we can get a few of us together to create a plug-in that will create a mystuff lookalike EPG??

Anyway I?ll keep you updated in the following few weeks once I get to know the layout of the menus etc on the PVR.

RIP Topfield: 5800 & 5810
leshay
Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2005 Posts: 383
Hi Sarah

Looking good so far then. Where did you see the available plugins? If your NAS installation/use goes well, then that would probably sway me enough to buy one.

Looking forward to your next video installment.

sarahstaar
Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
the plugins are in the menu of the pvr. You select one and the pvr downloads it and installs it.

It is just when you go into the plugin menu and view the available plugins they all have very cryptic names....
sarahstaar
Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
andyfras wrote:

It only seems to mention satellite reception.

It works with

satellite
Freeview
Cable tv
ccs
Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Are Series Linked recordings available, and if so, can they be padded?

ccsx