<  TAPs  ~  Channel Organiser B2.1

Page 6 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4422
@pol098
Quote:
having removed all unnecessary space characters, columns don't line up.

From what I remember, this is a TSV file (Tab Separated Value) so you should really be modifying it in a spreadsheet (which, when writing will put a tab between each value) or an editor that honours tabs.
These, single character, tabs are what normally cause the columns to line up.
You could get issues if you replace then with a space (I think TopManager expects a tab between fields, extra spaces after a tab can be removed).

Note: You can also edit this file from the browse option in TopManager. While editing, tabs are replaced by vertical bars (|) and changed back to tab characters when the file is written back to the toppy.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
Bizman
Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1707
@Geoff, I used Notepad which handles tabs, but there is a problem where LCNs have changed from 2 to 3 digit numbers and this is sufficient to push the line length out too far. Removing one of the tabs where there are two consecutive solves this, but causes misalignment. What is needed is a small increase in the maximum line length.

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
pol098
Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 05 Jul 2009 Posts: 36
I mentioned removing all unnecessary space characters from freeview.dat
Geoff Bacon wrote:
responded:
... you should really be modifying it in a spreadsheet ... You could get issues if you replace then with a space (I think TopManager expects a tab between fields, extra spaces after a tab can be removed).
Geoff

Thanks for the comments, but I think my revision is OK, I've done a lot of editing of this sort of file, and know what I can get away with. (I have done weird things like using a hex editor to insert an extra instruction into an executable file for which I had no assembly code, without moving the code around and disturbing the alignment of branching instructions, and installing it in lots of mission-critical installations.)

I have never bothered to open freeview.dat in a spreadsheet, I always use a text editor. The file with all the latest changes exceeded both 20,000 bytes and 150 lines; according to the only reference I have found both of these are too much for CO (I don't know if the limits are actually the same in the latest version). I simply replaced all occurrences of <space><tab> with <tab> repeatedly until none were left (OK, I could have used a regular expression, but it was quicker just to do this). There were a great many. I also replaced the comments at the beginning and end with much terser versions to the same effect. I ended up with a file with fewer than 20,000 bytes, fewer than 150 lines, that worked fine as far as I can tell (checking error file). I've never opened it in a spreadsheet, so don't know if this has messed up the visual formatting (probably not, actually). So I think it's OK. I hope to replace it with an "official" version when available, just to stay in the mainstream.
EMJB
Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3639 Location: Maldon Essex
pol098 wrote:
The children's, news, and BBC interactive channels are duplicated in transmission - they are transmitted on both old and new channels for the moment - and I have not included the old channels.
When I looked earlier today with my IDTV 70 & 71 had an interactive message showing old and new channels, with no video.
pol098 wrote:
I have also trimmed the verbosity to keep the file within 20,000 bytes and 150 lines, which is says is required (I don't know if that restriction still holds);
As stated in the file, those limits apply to Version B1.2, not to 2.x.

pol098 wrote:
having removed all unnecessary space characters, columns don't line up.
As you have found out the hard way, those spaces are there to line up the columns.

pol098 wrote:
I don't want to pre-empt an official freeview.dat (maybe waiting for the discontinued allocations to stop transmitting?), but if anyone wants this and nobody objects I can make it available.
I would be more than happy to use it as an interim measure if you can upload it to somewhere I can access.

EMJB

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4422
Deleted (having read EMJB's response)

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
pol098
Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for response:
EMJB wrote:
As stated in the file, those limits (20,000 bytes and 150 lines) apply to Version B1.2, not to 2.x.
Unfortunately, the only reference to CO limits I've found is that all freeview.dat versions I have, including recent ones, say "# N.B. Channel Organiser B1.2 limits: 150 lines & 20,000 bytes"; I thought the limits might have been relaxed, but it was safer in the absence of information not to assume this.

EMJB wrote:
As you have found out the hard way, those spaces are there to line up the columns.
Not hard - as it happens, I've only ever looked at freeview.dat with a text editor which doesn't preserve the alignment (I'm quite comfortable with that), so the spaces made no difference at all to me. I'd obviously not have removed them if the file had not come to exceed 20,000 bytes; it was obvious that they were there to preserve alignment.

EMJB wrote:
I would be more than happy to use it as an interim measure if you can upload it to somewhere I can access.
I'll put it here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97836656/Freeview.dat
and leave it until it's superseded by a proper version. It'll properly be of limited usefulness for updating the official version as it will be more trouble to realign than simply to update the channels that need it. Unfortunately I haven't kept the intermediate version with updated channels, but before removing spaces. Not knowing SvcIDs and RtCodes, I've left some unchanged when moving channels (e.g., 70==>120).

Thanks for all that, I knew you'd not been well, and didn't want to trouble you with questions or requests re a new "official" version, which you might not have wanted to do for the moment. As I'd made an interim version, I thought I'd share it with anyone who wanted it. I hope you're well now.

Best wishes
pol098
Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:59 am Reply with quote
pol098 wrote:
Thanks for response:
EMJB wrote:
As stated in the file, those limits (20,000 bytes and 150 lines) apply to Version B1.2, not to 2.x.
Unfortunately, the only reference to CO limits I've found is that all freeview.dat versions I have, including recent ones, say "# N.B. Channel Organiser B1.2 limits: 150 lines & 20,000 bytes"; I thought the limits might have been relaxed, but it was safer in the absence of information not to assume this.

EMJB wrote:
Not hard - as it happens, I've only ever looked at freeview.dat with a text editor which doesn't preserve the alignment (I'm quite comfortable with that), so the spaces made no difference at all to me. I'd obviously not have removed them if the file had not come to exceed 20,000 bytes; it was obvious that they were there to preserve alignment.

EMJB wrote:
I'll put it here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97836656/Freeview.dat
and leave it until it's superseded by a proper version. [Edit: I've removed it; please let me know if anyone wants it. There may be an official version now, I haven't checked.] It'll properly be of limited usefulness for updating the official version as it will be more trouble to realign than simply to update the channels that need it. Unfortunately I haven't kept the intermediate version with updated channels, but before removing spaces. Not knowing SvcIDs and RtCodes, I've left some unchanged when moving channels (e.g., 70==>120).

Thanks for all that, I knew you'd not been well, and didn't want to trouble you with questions or requests re a new "official" version, which you might not have wanted to do for the moment. As I'd made an interim version, I thought I'd share it with anyone who wanted it. I hope you're well now.

Best wishes
EMJB
Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Hint taken - I have just updated the Freeview.dat file here for the latest line up, but please note that it will almost certainly crash CO version B1.x as it is too big.

EMJB

Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2588
EMJB wrote:
Hint taken - I have just updated the Freeview.dat file here for the latest line up, but please note that it will almost certainly crash CO version B1.x as it is too big.
Any chance of another update in time for Xmas?

ccsx
Bizman
Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote
ccs wrote:
and another on Jan 5th when further changes will occur. Wink

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
ccs
Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Bizman wrote:
ccs wrote:
and another on Jan 5th when further changes will occur. Wink
I know it'll never settle down.

I'm still working on the theory that a retune isn't really necessary, especially when the major channels aren't changing.

However, I'm running CO from auto start, and a loss of channels would do an automatic retune, although, to be fair, that is what I'd have to do anyway.

Will a retune with an out of date freeview.dat cause problems???

ccsx
EMJB
Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:57 am Reply with quote
ccs wrote:
Will a retune with an out of date freeview.dat cause problems???
Probably not in the first instance, but as it gets more & more out of date CO will find it even more difficult to associate data for channels that have moved LCN. However if broadcasting hours have changed, you may find that MS will show the EPG for any extra hours (or find programmes to record therein).

I have just updated the Freeview.dat file here for the latest line up. It should be OK with CO B1.x, but I have not tried it.

EMJB

Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:26 am Reply with quote
....many thanks for the update.

ccsx
DB1
Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 728 Location: Orpington
Just installed CO - Thanks to all concerned. One question. it comes with a firmware.dat Now there already was one of 125162 bytes in /ProgramFiles the one that came with CO is now in /ProgramFiles/Settings and is 131060 - Can't trust the file dates on the toppy of course.

?? TIA

TF5800, F/W: 5.13.65AbBfBqC0CbCeCkCwCyDEcEeEfErEsEvEzFFsGmHHeIKtNfOtPPcPePsRRaRhRpRsSSdSrStT2TdTfTpUUuXXpXwXl TAPs: TF5000 Display v1.53; QuickJump 1.72; Power Manager v2.2; MyInfo B5.6; DescriptionExtender 2.23; Remote Extender 1.6; Archivev1.0a; mei2archive BETA 3.8l7; EPGnavigator v5.1c; UK Auto Scheduler v0.73.1; Extend v1.7; Power Restore V0.7.8
Tx: CP
Sig generated by MyInfo on 14/4/13
Bizman
Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Use the one that came with CO, it's probably more recent and is in the correct folder. The other one can be deleted.