Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  OZ Toppies  ~  Is there a max number of files allowed on a 5000?

Page 1 of 1
Roger_Ramjet
Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Jan 2014 Posts: 6 Location: Ravensbourne, Queensland, AUSTALIA
I have a strange issue recording with the 'instant record' button. I set the record duration to 4 hours, but at the end of the program (tennis) I hit the stop button, at 2hrs 51mins. When I went to upload the .rec file to my pc, it showed as 12Mb! When I replayed it, it went for about half a minute. Yet the file menu showed a recording of 2hr 51mins!

The previous recording 2 days earlier, also of around 3 hours, was totally normal.

Suspecting a power supply issue, I replaced the usual 6 suspects. The voltages before weren't too bad, but even better afterwards. I replaced those caps a few years ago as a precautionary measure as well.

So I tried another recording tonight, and much the same result - truncated recording, yet file menu shows full length.

I have a 500Gb HDD, and about 130 files, with free space showing as about 108,000Mb.

So tonight I deleted a 3hr recording, and tried again - and all OK this time.

Question - Is there a maximum number of files on the HDD the Toppy can handle?

if it helps, I can list the before and after PSU voltages, but I don't believe the power supply is a factor in this.

Any comments very welcome.
Cheers
Roger
andyfras
Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3468
You need to replace more capacitors - I now recommend replacing all 18 secondary capacitors.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4493
There isn't a limit on the number of files but you are likely to get problems if any directory contains more than 4096 (give or take).
So this shouldn't be the issue.

You say this is the second time that you have replaced 6 capacitors - andyfras recommends you change them all (for a long time he has replaced more than 6 and now he says do the lot).
Note: ask andyfras for his capacitors kit.
[edit] just noticed that you are in the Oz section and that have a 5000 rather than a 5800. I've no idea how many capacitors you have on the 5000 but suggest you replace them anyway. Also no idea whether TopManager or fsCheck work with a 5000 (see below)[/edit]

The toppy can occasionally get its knickers in a twist so switching it off, waiting 2 mins and switching it back on gives it a hard reset (as opposed to a soft reset when the toppy is put into standby overnight - you do do this don't you?).

You could run my fsCheck tap if you want to check out the file system (please post any report in the dedicated fsCheck reports thread) but I suspect it isn't too bad. Any issues are not likely to be related to the symptoms you are seeing.

If you have a windows pc, you could use TopManager to post the MyInfo Log and update a forum signature. If you can't run TM, then you will have to copy the MyInfo Log by other means so that you can post it.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
Roger_Ramjet
Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:55 pm Reply with quote
G'day Andy

'Before' voltages were:
5.21 12.57 31.23 25.13 17.38 7.87 5.19 3.27 15.88

"After' voltages were:
5.01 12.15 30.36 24.44 16.92 7.64 5.01 3.27 15.47

U20 now reads 1.48

I figure the 15v is a nominal voltage, as it's simply 17v dropped by the two diodes, which in theory results in a drop of 0.7 x 2 = 1.4.

I can replace all the caps, no problem, as a low-cost maintenance/insurance thing, and I probably will do next time I'm in town to pick them up from Jaycar. But do those voltages look as though they might be contributing to my current issue?

Cheers
Roger
Roger_Ramjet
Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Geoff Bacon wrote:
The toppy can occasionally get its knickers in a twist so switching it off, waiting 2 mins and switching it back on gives it a hard reset (as opposed to a soft reset when the toppy is put into standby overnight - you do do this don't you?).

You could run my fsCheck tap if you want to check out the file system (please post any report in the dedicated fsCheck reports thread) but I suspect it isn't too bad. Any issues are not likely to be related to the symptoms you are seeing.

If you have a windows pc, you could use TopManager to post the MyInfo Log and update a forum signature. If you can't run TM, then you will have to copy the MyInfo Log by other means so that you can post it.

G'day Geoff
It sure got a hard reset for the PSU modifications! Smile

It's thunderstorm season here at present, and appliances regularly get unplugged from the wall.

I'll investigate the fsCheck tap, also your TopManager. But those might just have to wait until I've had a bit of sleep. (1.20am here!)

Thanks for the replies, guys.
Cheers
Roger_Ramjet
Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:27 pm Reply with quote
AndyFras - Took your advice and replaced all remaining electrolytic capacitors today. The difference was minimal, but I guess I can rest knowing they're all been replaced:

?
alan_m
Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3523
Roger_Ramjet wrote:
AndyFras - Took your advice and replaced all remaining electrolytic capacitors today. The difference was minimal, but I guess I can rest knowing they're all been replaced:

The first set of results may indicate that you need to change the 9V battery in the multi-meter. Often when the battery starts to fail in a digital multi-meter/volt-meter the readings are high.

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote
C22 has the most affect on the voltages; but the other capacitors can let through high frequency ripple when they fail, without showing any voltage errors.

I am surprised by the 'before' figure for the 5V, because it never reads that high; it always goes low when the capacitors (especially C22) fail. This causes the other voltages to go high as the PSU tries to compensate (apart from 3.3V which has its own regulator). I can only guess that other failing capacitors were upsetting the feedback in some way.

Hopefully, now that you've replaced them all, your Toppy should be good for many more years.

andyfras
Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Geoff Bacon wrote:
[edit] just noticed that you are in the Oz section and that have a 5000 rather than a 5800. I've no idea how many capacitors you have on the 5000 but suggest you replace them anyway.[/edit]

The 5000 uses the same PSU as the 5800.