Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  TAP Development (or MyStuff Feature) Request

Page 1 of 1
chris_s
Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 May 2008 Posts: 403
I am not sure if this is the right area to post, but:-

Having recently suffered a disk corruption that took me on a 3 day rollercoaster of emotion:-

?Oh no, it?s all gone?,

?Great, I have recovered and copied virtually all of the .rec files of importance ( 559GB ? 535 files in 92 folders)?

?Oh no, I am on MySyuff 6.4, I don?t have an even vaguely recent TM Snapshot, I have lots of merged files, I don?t have a MyStuff RecordedInfo.dat file?

I find myself coming up with a feature request which, if viable, will almost certainly not be embedded in MyStuff, but may possibly be able to run as an optional, companion TAP, or a ?TM? style external PC application.

I was fortunate in that I had intact folders with intact recordings, but I had to do a huge amount of work to track down the merged contents, and it occurred to me that what I needed was a system which would tell me, in plain language, where to look: such a system would also be useful if just trying to archive recordings (from a healthy disk) to external storage.

Rather than just holding all of the information about files and folders, both real and pseudo, in one centralised MyStuff file, there could be a secondary, distributed, man-readable version of that information by adding ?placeholder? text files alongside .rec files in the folder structure of the ?data files? folder.

As an example, using TopfHDRW, I found that I had:-

A folder called ?Countryfile? which contained 2 .rec files, each nominally 4GB long,
A folder called ?Call the Midwife? which was empty,
A folder called ?The Musketeers? which was empty,

Because of the anomalous file sizes I copied the ?Countryfile? folder to my NAS then played each file on VLC to find that they were both triple merges of ?Countryfile?, ?Call the Midwife? and ?The Musketeers?.

What I am proposing is that the ?Call the Midwife? folder should contain two ?placeholder? files, each:-

Possibly having a similar filename to that which the equivalent real single recording would have had, but with a different extension,

Possibly containing the header information for that episode of ?Call the Midwife? (in man readable form), i.e. as displayed in the MyStuff archive screen.

Definitely containing text stating that it is the second of 3 parts comprising the file called <filename of Countryfile>, also stating the full path of that ?Countryfile? file

Similarly, the ?The Musketeers? folder should contain 2 placeholders.

Lastly, for added robustness, there should be two additional files in the ?Countryfile? folder, each mirroring the filename and header information of one of the merged .rec files, stating that this file has three parts, and specifying the full paths for the corresponding placeholders in the other two folders.

Not knowing the exact strategies employed by MyStuff, I don?t know whether I was just lucky that the two empty folders actually existed as real folders (each possibly having been created for non-merged recordings, now deleted, ..... but then I would see them as .dels ???): if so, real folders may have to be created just to hold the placeholders.

I realise that this may only appeal to the minority, and that it would have to be a deliberate process/TAP (rather than an embedded function in MyStuff) owing to the fact that it will take up extra disk space and require a certain discipline to run it periodically (to synchronise the distributed information with the most recent MyStuff information, but I believe it has some merit, and hope that it is, at least, a viable mechanism.

TAPs: QuickJump 1.72; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; QuickBlank 0.2; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.5; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MHEG On/Off A3; (Start Channel LCN);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 14/3/12
TV=Panasonic TX-32DT2 IDTV (32" CRT via CVBS-SCART), Tx: Sutton Coldfield. "My other PVR is a TiVo".
juwlz
Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
chris_s wrote:
I was fortunate in that I had intact folders with intact recordings, but I had to do a huge amount of work to track down the merged contents, and it occurred to me that what I needed was a system which would tell me, in plain language, where to look: such a system would also be useful if just trying to archive recordings (from a healthy disk) to external storage.

Rather than just holding all of the information about files and folders, both real and pseudo, in one centralised MyStuff file, there could be a secondary, distributed, man-readable version of that information by adding ?placeholder? text files alongside .rec files in the folder structure of the ?data files? folder.
With the one exception of the MyStuff settings file (from which the settings get exported to a text file every time you change them), all of MyStuff's data files ARE man-readable - as long as you know what you're looking for, of course. They're all essentially CSV files, usually using | as the field delimiter, which can be imported into a spreadsheet app.

I can't remember, without looking, whether the format of them is documented in the Appendices of the MyStuff manual.

And, of course, MS 6.5 allows you to keep a number of backups (your choice how many) of all of these data files and allows recovery back to them, which - unless every backup is corrupted too - should make manual inspection of the files redundant anyway.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
chris_s
Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 May 2008 Posts: 403
I have taken a rather old MyStuff_RecordedInfo.dat file from my last available TM Snapshot, and loaded it into Excel. I can work out what quite a lot of it means, but would really like the field definitions, which don't seem to be available in the MyStuff Manual: could you please supply me with these definitions (for MyStuff 6.4 if different from 6.5).

The formats of the other 'man-readable' files might be intresting too, if possible

Chris.

TAPs: QuickJump 1.72; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; QuickBlank 0.2; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.5; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MHEG On/Off A3; (Start Channel LCN);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 14/3/12
TV=Panasonic TX-32DT2 IDTV (32" CRT via CVBS-SCART), Tx: Sutton Coldfield. "My other PVR is a TiVo".
ccs
Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2565
Any help?

ccsx