Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  My 5810 Firmware Upload Doesn't Appear in the System Status!

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Londoner24
Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Hi Smile

This is my first post here. I've uploaded the latest firmware available on this site (April 2011) for my TF5810PVRt nearly 10 times but each time I check the System Status, it still displays the old original upload when I bought it in 2010:

System ID: 457
Loader: C5.19
Device: v5.4.10
Software: TF-NPT 5.15.09+
Hardware: v1.01
Last Update: April 11 2008

I have a 64-bit Del Inspiron laptop and used it to upload the new firmware with Antares. The 5810 goes through the dn numbers sequence, etc, and stops with the flashing "end", meaning the upload was successful. Antares has the message that the upload was successful, yet when I check the system ID, it only has the above 2008 firmware installed. Please help!!!

(PS: The PVR has been freezing in the last few months almost daily, taking 10-15 minutes to respond to commands, not switching into standby without switching of the power and going through the "verifying files" sequence. It works after that, and can record and playback normally. I have nearly 180 full-length films (besides music and documentaries). There is about 12% of memory left (57G according to Antares). Sometimes when it is recording two films at once, it says that "memory full").

Londoner24
andyfras
Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3450
I suspect that the firmware isn't the problem; it's more likely to be faulty PSU capacitors.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
YorkshireJumbo
Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Sep 2005 Posts: 754
How old is your Toppy, and have you done (or had done) any work on the hardware? As andyfras says, the PSUs can fail after a few years, more so on the TF5810. The good news is that they can be fixed easily.

Noiseblocker XR1 fan added Mar '18
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy+U+Uu
TAPs: MS 6.6 Suite, UK OZ Surfer
alan_m
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3489
Londoner24 wrote:

(PS: The PVR has been freezing in the last few months almost daily, taking 10-15 minutes to respond to commands, not switching into standby without switching of the power and going through the "verifying files" sequence. It works after that, and can record and playback normally. I have nearly 180 full-length films (besides music and documentaries). There is about 12% of memory left (57G according to Antares). Sometimes when it is recording two films at once, it says that "memory full").

Londoner24

As others have said, your faults are most likely to be power supply failure which can usually be fixed relatively cheaply, either DIY or by a fellow forum member (see the signature in andyfras post above). To contact Andy hit the PM (Personal Message) button in the signature of one of his posts.
Background reading
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Topfield_5800/PSU_Repair

Power supply failures by way of failing capacitors are very common on both the 5800 and 5810 and you will find very many 100s of cases documented in these forums.

After "upgrading" the firmware are you putting your box into standby and then back on? The way you are updating is valid but there is also a windows based firmware installer at
http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/cgi/Downloads.cgi
Look for "Toppy.org.uk Firmware Loader Firmware loader only. Downloads and installs the latest Recommended Firmware"

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:54 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
See also Toppy Repairs and PSU exchange .

The most important thing is to repair sooner rather than later. The longer you leave it, the higher your chances of causing further (and more expensive) hardware damage.

In fact, go and unplug it from the mains now, until it has been repaired.

As to your original question about the firmware version, you can use MyInfo (see Help! in my sig to get a complete report of your Toppy's firmware and software.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Londoner24
Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Hi Smile

Thank you everyone for your quick responses. It appears that it could be a PSU problem judging from the majority of your comments. I have an indefinite warranty with Currys (Whatever Happens) which I contribute a small monthly direct debit of 2.99.

This is the first time there has been real problems since I bought it in Sep 2010. I'll bring it into the store and get Currys to work for their money.

Many thanks

Londoner24

Software: TF-NPT 5.15.09T
Last Update: September 02 2010
Bought: 2010
PC: DELL Inspiron, Windows 7, Core i5 (64-bit)
No TAPs installed
andyfras
Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3450
Londoner24 wrote:
I'll bring it into the store and get Currys to work for their money.

Good luck with that.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
alan_m
Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3489
Londoner24 wrote:

This is the first time there has been real problems since I bought it in Sep 2010. I'll bring it into the store and get Currys to work for their money.

Another toppy for landfill Sad
You may stand a chance if you tell Currys to return it to Turbosat (the Topfield UK distributer)

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4377
I think you would be more likely to get a working toppy by forgetting your payment to currys and sending it to andyfras (at least that way you are likely to get it back!). Also, they (or turbosat) are likely to only replace the failed capacitors whereas andy does a complete swap. You could even use his exchange board swap service.

Whatever you do, cancel all future currys payments (you are paying them 36 a year and that is similar to what andy would charge for the repair (and he says that he has never had to replace his "replaced capacitors" yet (my words)).

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
juwlz
Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:12 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
I would whole heartedly endorse Geoff's suggestion.

You'll get a MUCH better, more thorough and faster service from andyfras (see Toppy Repairs and PSU exchange) than from any generic repair service. Even TurboSat, the importers, who are familiar with the hardware, only replace components that have actually failed.

Andy, on the other hand, will give your Toppy a thorough MOT, and replace all of the capacitors that are known to fail regularly, whether they have failed yet or not. And he charges rather less than 36 for it.

If you live anywhere near Fleet in Hampshire, you can even drop it off with him for a while you wait service, or as noted above, he offers a PSU exchange service by post too.

I'd cut your losses on your Currys cover, and get it fixed by somebody who actually knows what he's doing with Toppies.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Londoner24
Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:13 am Reply with quote
Hi All Smile

Andy has just done a wonderful job in replacing the capacitors of my PSU and I could see straight away the improvement in response to the remote control.

I've also now successfully installed the latest firmware for my 5810 with the Toppy Firmware Installer (the one ending with "T" and Sep 2010 instead of Apr 2008. I'll update my signature soon). I had made numerous attempts to upload using the TFN program, but I gave up yesterday, and the Installer worked first time. I don't think the TFN works very well with Windows 7, 64-bit laptops.

Thank you all for your advice and for recommending Andy.

ANDY IS THE MAN!!!! Cool

No TAPs installed
ccs
Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2577
Londoner24 wrote:
I don't think the TFN works very well with Windows 7, 64-bit laptops.
TFDN_USB doesn't work at all - you need Antares which can do firmware updates on a 5810.

ccsx
Londoner24
Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
ccs wrote:
Londoner24 wrote:
I don't think the TFN works very well with Windows 7, 64-bit laptops.
TFDN_USB doesn't work at all - you need Antares which can do firmware updates on a 5810.

Hi CCS Smile

I used Antares numerous times as well. The end of upload message claimed it had been uploaded successfully, and I could see the firmware in the program files of the Toppy via Antares, but it never appeared in the Toppy itself, despite reboots and factory resets. The Firmware Installer installed it first time straight-away.

Londoner24

No TAPs installed
ccs
Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2577
Londoner24 wrote:
I used Antares numerous times as well. The end of upload message claimed it had been uploaded successfully, and I could see the firmware in the program files of the Toppy via Antares, but it never appeared in the Toppy itself, despite reboots and factory resets. The Firmware Installer installed it first time straight-away.
That's not how you do it.

With the toppy switched off, you double click the firmware you want to load from within Antares.
You switch on the 5810, and it then loads in a similar way to TFDN_USB.

ccsx
Londoner24
Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:32 am Reply with quote
ccs wrote:
Londoner24 wrote:
That's not how you do it.

With the toppy switched off, you double click the firmware you want to load from within Antares.
You switch on the 5810, and it then loads in a similar way to TFDN_USB.

Hi CCS Smile

I did do that - and followed the instructions on how to upload using Antares that is available on this site. I have it now, that's the main thing.

Thanks

Londoner24

No TAPs installed