Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Marmitek / Toppy incompatibility

Page 1 of 1
corofin
Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 22 Jan 2007 Posts: 48
I suspect this isn't a Toppy problem, but it's perplexing!

My A/V equipment is almost out-of-site of their remote controls due to furniture limitations. For almost a year I have successfully used the excellent Marmitek remote extender with my Toppy. I now have an incompatibility.

http://www.marmitek.com/en/product-details/audio-video-at-home/operate-anywhere/operating-outside-the-infrared-range/invisible-control.php

This unit provides four 'floating' LED transmitters which in my case control a Sony TV, Panasonic DVD, Denon sound system and the Toppy.

A couple of weeks ago I discovered that I could no longer control the Toppy. On investigation I found that none of the LEDS would operate the latter, but all four LEDS would control the three other devices. I also tried my spare Toppy and that didn't work either. Have tried moving the transmitter in three dimensions with no success.

The Marmitek is powered from the supplied 12V mains adaptor (which produces 12.2 volts under load). However fitting the alternative four AA cells into the Marmitek cured the problem. (Mains plus AA cells also works).

Clearly this isn't a serious problem, but Marmitek customer support have no answer, so I thought I'd try here. Haven't got access to an oscilloscope + IR receiver unfortunately.

Any suggestions welcome.

Also need to update my sig!

ryclark
Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Posts: 1604 Location: Shropshire
Since the Marmitek works off four AA cells it sounds as if it's innards need 5V to operate them. So presumably the external 12V is regulated down to 5V inside the unit. So it could be that internal PSU circuit that has gone faulty (capacitors?) and adding the AA cells give better regulation of the volts. It will need some ingenuity and a multimeter to get inside and check.

?
alan_m
Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Posts: 3536
corofin wrote:
Haven't got access to IR receiver unfortunately.

You probably do - any digital camera with an electronic viewfinder.
http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=204744#204744

Quote:

Any suggestions welcome.

Wall wart power supplies are known to fail in some strange ways. On a multimeter it may show an output of 12V DC but it may also have a LOT of Radio Frequency (RF) noise on the 12V which the meter will not see. A capacitor in a wall wart may have failed - depending on the circuit in the box installing batteries is equivalent to adding a large smoothing capacitor.

Do you have any failing fluorescent lights / low energy bulbs that are swamping the input of the IR receiver with noise.

Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 27 Dec 2006 Posts: 100
It could be that the Toppy remote has "gone awol".

My brother-in-law had a Toppy remote that appeared to work - using the camcorder/digital camera test - but failed to operate the box. In the end he needed to purchase a new remote.

Neil Holland
Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Haven't been using the Toppy much recently but poor Sky reception has caused me to give it a work out and found that my Marmitek was also not passing signals.

Found this thread and batteries added - ba dum tish. Now communicating.

Toppy doesn't think it has a hard drive but that's another problem!!

Thanks for posting this thread saved hours of messing about.

Neil
juwlz
Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:55 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Neil Holland wrote:
Toppy doesn't think it has a hard drive but that's another problem!!
See Toppy Repairs and PSU exchange

In the meantime, it's probably wise to unplug it to avoid expensive damage.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012