Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  What has happened?

Page 3 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
alan_m
Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Posts: 3536
Jemster wrote:

There is very slight doming on C23, I'm assuming the deviation from spec on 15v, 8v and 22v is enough to mean I should replace if I'm going to.

C23 is on the 5V output line and the 5V is the reference for the other supplies. When the 5V starts going low the 30V line can rise to nearly 40V which can take out a transistor controlling the tuning the 12V going to 15V+ can take out the hard disk.

The 22V is a mislabeled 24V line and normally runs at 24.5V. the 8V normally runs at 7.5V

Quote:

Actually.... I remembered that Turbosat had had the unit back for an HDD replacement a few years back so I dug through my old postings - looks like the HDD AND the PSU were replaced at the very end of 2009. So that'll be why it's still alive then! Very Happy

It is thought that Turbosat only replace capacitors that were failing at the time, leaving the others to fail at a later date. The recommendation is to replace 13 capacitors on a 5800 (fewer on a 5810) - all at the same time. Andys kit of capacitors contain all those that should be changed

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3477
Those voltages are OK. The 22V normally reads about 24.5V (wrongly labelled); 8V normally reads 7.5V, and the 15V is always 1.4V less than the actual '17V' reading.

C23 is not as highly stressed as some of the other capacitors, so it's unlikely to fail first. C25 (the tall green one on later PSUs) is the most likely to fail first and show 'doming'.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
Jemster
Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 25 Mar 2008 Posts: 63 Location: Belfast, UK
Thanks Andy, so although replacement is advised, to me it looks like it is highly unlikely the PSU is what caused the channels to be lost.

I've had a look at the MyStuff power management, unfortunately it only turns OFF the unit, there is no facility for a timed startup that I can find. As the kids usually beat me to the TV in the morning that means they would have to wait for the long startup process. I'll look into the Power Management TAP next.

Where are the channels stored? Is it on the Hard Drive? Or a separate NVRAM module somewhere? Is it possible there's a battery-backed portion of memory and maybe the battery is failing?

What's really strange is that I rescanned the channels last Monday... I came down on Tuesday morning (again, we still had the same visitor in the house Very Happy) and it had lost everything. So I scanned again. This visitor left on Tuesday and ever since then it's not lost anything. Hahaha I swear the Toppy is allergic to this individual.

Makes. No. Sense.

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2671
Jemster wrote:
Thanks I've had a look at the MyStuff power management, unfortunately it only turns OFF the unit, there is no facility for a timed startup that I can find..
Try the MyStuff manual. Smile

ccsx
Jemster
Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
ccs wrote:
Jemster wrote:
Thanks I've had a look at the MyStuff power management, unfortunately it only turns OFF the unit, there is no facility for a timed startup that I can find..
Try the MyStuff manual. Smile

Thanks for that. I followed your helpful advice.

11.8. Shutdown Handling
If you press the Power button whilst MyStuff is active it will do some checks before shutting down. It will delay the shutdown until after: all current recordings have completed (and been auto-filed); no timer is due to fire in the next 5 minutes; there is no EPG or Searching activity going on.
Using MyStuff Option Y2 you can get MyStuff to automatically shut down the Toppy at a time set by Option Y3. At this time, MyStuff will do some the same checks as above before shutting down.
Pressing any button (including the Power button again) will cancel any postponed manual shutdown. This will not cancel the Auto-PowerOff unless the key is pressed after the shutdown was scheduled i.e. the automatic shutdown is delayed because a recording is happening. In this case the key press indicates you are still using the Toppy and therefore would not want it shutdown.

I also searched through all 47 occurrences of the word "power" and 3 of "startup" So your cryptic point is?

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2671
Y4

ccsx
Jemster
Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Ah
I C
Cool
TY

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Posts: 3536
Jemster wrote:

Where are the channels stored? Is it on the Hard Drive? Or a separate NVRAM module somewhere? Is it possible there's a battery-backed portion of memory and maybe the battery is failing?

The Toppy can run as a Freeview receiver without a hard disk fitted.
The channels and firmware are stored in non-volatile which sometimes can be corrupted.

The only battery is in a 5810 front panel associated with keeping time - waking up for a recording.

Quote:

What's really strange is that I rescanned the channels last Monday... I came down on Tuesday morning (again, we still had the same visitor in the house Very Happy) and it had lost everything. So I scanned again.

Poor reception on a channel that you were attempting to record?

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 4588
Post the output of thr Signal Monitor tap? (or use TopManager PcControl| Display Signals)

It would also help if you posted the output of the MyInfo tap; this will show your configuration and the channels/muxes you are using. it may also show that you are missing something basic (quite common for those who have performed a manual install of MyStuff)

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
juwlz
Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Jemster wrote:
What's really strange is that I rescanned the channels last Monday... I came down on Tuesday morning (again, we still had the same visitor in the house Very Happy) and it had lost everything. So I scanned again. This visitor left on Tuesday and ever since then it's not lost anything. Hahaha I swear the Toppy is allergic to this individual.
Memory corruption (by definition) can cause unpredictable problems. I have known memory corruption on a 5810 to corrupt the EEPROM. It's less likely, but not impossible on a 5800. As I've said before, it may be that your guest's different viewing/usage pattern hits a piece of memory that you don't in normal use. See Toppy Memory.

You might want to try some channel pruning to see if it helps (1. she can't watch what's not there, and 2. the more memory you free up, the less likely you are to get memory corruption).

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Jemster
Posted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Missed a topic reply mail notification there, still all playing nicely here. Yes, it could be the guests viewing pattern - she does watch EastEnders after all, so anything could happen Laughing

Tonight I'll take a look at MyInfo and Signal Monitor (used to have this installed, think I still do). The installation of MyStuff was an automatic one, including blasting the firmware, so shhhhhooouuuulllddd be ok.

The memory corruption topic is interesting though. I generally have all the channels available, and manage the EPG down to a smaller number using the Favourites list. From what I read off that link, Julie, it seems that if I actually deleted the channels this would make better use of the limited resources.

I've got the auto-shutdown & restart running, no issues so far. This may actually be helping with the memory, if that is the cause, as any small leaks will become less relevant.

Thanks for all the advice!

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:34 am Reply with quote
I had a poke around last night. MyInfo was reporting 9MB free memory. After pruning back channels I got this up to a colossal 10MB free Smile

However, what was strange was the line that tells me all the applied patches to my firmware... Last night it was only showing 1 option (Sy) (see screenshot below), today it's showing me the same one option with a few 'squares' and 'squiggles' after it, looks kinda corrupted.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ezdqem2v5y3lgo9/Photo%2016-12-2013%2022%2003%2002.jpg

I can't remember if I've ever looked at this list closely since the last MyStuff upgrade so perhaps there's a bug between whatever firmware MyStuff installed and MyInfo?

Alternatively, must remind myself how to re-blast firmware and give it a go...

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 4588
Your MyInfo screenshot looks ok but ideally we'd like to see the \ProgramFiles\Logs\MyInfo Log.txt file as this contains more information and also shows your channels (you can paste this directly into the thread)

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
Jemster
Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Sad bah.... that requires unit removal, relocation, installation of a Windows VM, etc etc etc...

Shame there's no Mac software for these things any more... unless anyone knows of an update to MacTF that actually works on post-Snow Leopard Intel Mac's?

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:51 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Jemster wrote:
However, what was strange was the line that tells me all the applied patches to my firmware... Last night it was only showing 1 option (Sy) (see screenshot below), today it's showing me the same one option with a few 'squares' and 'squiggles' after it, looks kinda corrupted.
The file gets recreated on each startup. If it's getting corrupted, I'd be concerned about determining the cause of the corruption.

As to connecting the Mac, I've never had a Mac, so can't help with that, but there are various other bits of cheap hardware that you can connect to the Toppy to get ftp access from the Mac (Slug, Asus, Raspberry Pi, etc.)

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012