Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  What has happened?

Page 2 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 4588
Now that you have got it working, I suggest you post the MyInfo Log file and update your signature; this will give others an opportunity to advise of anything else you should address.

I'd still be interested in the output of fsCheck; you don't need TopManager to install the tap.

Also, as the toppy is getting on for 5 years old, don't leave it too long before getting the caps changed.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
Bizman
Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:48 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1707
Jemster wrote:
if it ain't broke, don't fix it springs to mind Smile
I am afraid that with the Toppy it is a case of 'a stitch in time saves a lot of expense later...'. Several people have advised you. Your capacitors need changing. Mine were done without the Toppy misbehaving as a precaution.

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
Jemster
Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:17 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 25 Mar 2008 Posts: 63 Location: Belfast, UK
Ok, Ok, I getcha, replace the caps Very Happy

I'll hook the unit up to the computer tonight and grab logs off it and do the voltage checks regardless.

Hmmm... 5 years is a decent lifespan. Maybe rather than spend money repairing the old, it's time to jump to something shiny, new and HD. Maybe this is the time to do it. What's the best Freesat HD PVR to jump to these days? Or would I still miss the user-friendly MyStuff & Toppy combination... Smile

Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:58 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3997 Location: Buckingham
The Humx Fox T2 still holds sway as the best Freeview HD PVR. Can be modded. Does not have all the catch up players of more modern devices but then better to use your lappy or tablet for that hooked up to your main TV for unfettered access to all that is out there.

DX
Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 2696
Jemster wrote:
Maybe this is the time to do it. What's the best Freesat HD PVR to jump to these days?

I think it is down to a choice between the 2 Humax Freesat models.

The old model is the Humax Foxsat HDR. There is custom firmware available and a thriving user community.

The new model is the Humax HDR-1000S Freesat Freetime. This has better catch-up TV features, but I'm not sure where is stands as regards custom firmware.

You can find out more about them at myhumax.org
Jemster
Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, after spending a morning reading around, I'm thoroughly confused and wish it could all be easier... Freesat looks like it has more channels, but I don't want 12 channels of news... and I'd rather not lose Dave as that actually does get watched in the house. It's also more expensive to install as I have no dish. I was looking at the Humax HDR-1000S, which looks to have a nice easy interface with lots of features integrated.

FreeView on the other hand is cheaper, has Dave, but has less channels overall. It also looks like the Humax Fox T2 doesn't have as tightly integrated an interface as the 1000S.

Bearing in mind I don't want to use a laptop / tablet for TV, but I do want catchup services all in an easy to use box (family use...). Oh I also want DLNA server support and would love the box to replace my AppleTV / XBMC unit as well if at all possible, it's all becoming a lot more complex than replacing a few capacitors Very Happy

I like my Toppy... Smile

Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Jemster wrote:
I like my Toppy... Smile
A wise choice. Very Happy

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
keithscarfe
Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:25 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 30 Apr 2008 Posts: 30 Location: Cambridge, UK
Wow what a coincidence. Interesting thread. Mine did exactly this the other day and at first I thought it was my 2 yr old pressing all the buttons (as they do) and causing it to go wrong. I sussed the only way to get it to work again is to re-tune because it just stayed on the 'MENU'.
I have already changed the caps in mine recently so I don't think it is this but I hope the psu is not buggered. I also recently put in a bigger hard disk (sata) so I hope too it isn't this.
I will see if it does it again then get worried.

?
juwlz
Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:48 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Jemster wrote:
This unit is left powered on 24/7.
That would be a very good reason for capacitor failure due to heat. It could also cause memory corruption due to never starting with a clean slate, which in turn could also cause any number of (almost by definition) unpredictable problems.

It may just be that your sister-in-law's channel preferences happen to trigger memory corruption that yours don't. Have a read about Toppy Memory for more details.

MyStuff gives you options to automatically shut down at night, and start up (and stay on) in the morning, so you can get almost the same effect as 24/7 running, but without the undesirable side-effects.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Bizman
Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:06 pm Reply with quote
According to the OP's profile, he has MyStuff 6.0 -
juwlz wrote:
MyStuff gives you options to automatically shut down at night, and start up (and stay on) in the morning, so you can get almost the same effect as 24/7 running, but without the undesirable side-effects.

Julie
- does that option still apply? Shocked

juwlz
Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Jemster wrote:
Of course, I will keep an eye on it, and if it happens again (when the errr external environmental issue is not present... Very Happy ) then I shall go for the PSU armed with a multimeter and find out what's going on.

Thanks so much for all the advice. Andy, I will take you up on those caps if this problem surfaces again.
As has already been said, when it comes to the Toppy, A stitch in time saves nine.

At five years old, it probably already is broke - you're just not being bludgeoned with symptoms yet. Sod's Law is very clear about this. It is most likely to break (in a more expensive way - such as taking the disk drive or tuners with it) on Christmas Eve. So even if it isn't broken, a PSU repair is good preventative maintenance on a Toppy of that age. See Toppy Repairs for more details on why you should get the PSU sorted, and then take Andy up on his PSU exchange service for an easy substitution to avoid having to deal with it in crisis mode.

Julie

juwlz
Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Bizman wrote:
According to the OP's profile, he has MyStuff 6.0 -
juwlz wrote:
- does that option still apply? Shocked
Good point. I've just checked the changelog, and it was introduced in 6.3 ... but there are plenty of other good reasons to update to 6.5 anyway.

Julie

Jemster
Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Oh you don't want to worry about my profile, I updated it less frequently than I've updated MyStuff Smile I did a rebuild of the unit back in August whenever it was last trashed, so I think that means I'm running 6.5. Must update profile... I'll also look into the auto shutdown restart.

The unit has great airflow, being away from any other permanently on electronics and no obstructions for a good 6" on the top and several feet in every other direction. Maybe that's why it's lasted so long.

I'm still considering an upgrade so haven't decided which way I'm going, so stop beating me up over the caps & psu Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy (There, I got to use Bold as well Very Happy Smile ) but if I do decide to change the unit out, I'd rather spend the money on the new box than repairing the old one. Second hand on eBay they are only worth about the same as the PSU swap, so no point even repairing to sell on.

Keith - interesting but most likely coincidence unless your 2yr old lives close enough for stray IR beams to catch my unit too Smile. What region are you in? I assume there is nothing could be sent OTA that would cause a reset....

Tonight... tonight I shall pry the box from the grasping hands of my kids and get the psu metered out and report what I've found. Cool

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Posts: 1604 Location: Shropshire
That would be a very wise move. Smile

?
Jemster
Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Aaaaaand the scores on the doors are as follows, reading down the connectors...

+5v ..... 5.0v
GND
GND
+12v .... 12.2v

+30v ..... 30.0v
+22v ..... 24v
+17v ..... 16.8v
GND
+8v ...... 7.47v
GND
+5v ...... 5.01v
GND
+3.3v ..... 3.29v
GND
+15v ..... 15.38v
GND

There is very slight doming on C23, all the others are not showing any visible damage. I'm assuming the deviation from spec on 15v, 8v and 22v is enough to mean I should replace if I'm going to. Still tempted by a Freesat Humax unit though. Ahhh decisions decisions Smile

MyStuff is definitely 6.5. Will look into the overnight sleep as well.

Actually.... I remembered that Turbosat had had the unit back for an HDD replacement a few years back so I dug through my old postings - looks like the HDD AND the PSU were replaced at the very end of 2009. So that'll be why it's still alive then! Very Happy